Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Asperger Syndrome?
Asperger Syndrome?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2018, 10:58 PM   #21
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelvdG View Post
I sometimes deliberately make or write remarks that are perfectly logical, yet totally absurd.

For example, when a female colleague said (in a group) that she likes men because she's straight, I answered that that doesn't make sense, because I'm also straight, but prefer women.
Haha, I like that.....It's the sort of thing I've been known to say...
Old 12th October 2018, 12:39 AM   #22
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Forum URL code corrupted your link (dropped the end-parenthesis). This works:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
Old 12th October 2018, 02:10 AM   #23
Kokanee is offline Kokanee  Canada
diyAudio Member

Asperger Syndrome?
Default Maybe of some use

Here is a good read on In-depth Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

In-Depth: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

First time inserting link, so not sure if link will highlight.
Old 12th October 2018, 02:16 AM   #24
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
I'm not suggesting there are members with Aspergers on this forum but it would make for interesting discussion?
Note that Asperger's Syndrome is no longer a diagnosis - at least not in North America. In the DSM-V, it was lumped in with Autism Spectrum Disorder, which as the name indicates is a spectrum that ranges from mild (what would previously have been considered Asperger's) to severe.

I don't recall if it's still in the ICD-10 (used outside North America).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
But you learn that many of the "labels" are essentially made-up arbitrarily by a small cabal of self-appointed experts.
Rather than relying on popular books and Wikipedia entries, I suggest looking at how the various psychological scales are developed and tested. A lot goes into the development of a reliable scale (i.e. instrument for measuring a psychological construct) and the scales are tested through years of real-life testing and research.
Take personality testing as an example. Modern scales (such as the "Big Five" 5-factor model or the HEXACO 6-factor model) have stood the test of time. HEXACO provides reliable results across time. It works well across various cultures as well, which is no easy feat. It shows good inter-item correlation and the six facets of personality that it measures are almost orthogonal, thus supporting the notion of six separate facets.

Claiming that's the arbitrary work of a self-appointed expert is rather ignorant.

That's not to say there isn't garbage out there. Don't get me started on the Meyers-Briggs Personality Type Inventory, for example. There's no scientific support for it and the little evidence that does support the model is published by the Meyers-Briggs Foundation. Yet, companies - including engineering companies - use it for hiring decisions.

I can't speak specifically for the PCL-R (which is where you aimed your criticism to start). I do know that psychopathy is not a diagnosis in the DSM-V, though it was considered. It could be because a diagnosis of Antisocial Personality Disorder was considered a better fit than a separate "psychopath" diagnosis for those who score high on the PCL-R.

Tom
Old 12th October 2018, 02:18 AM   #25
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
PS: This forum is the reason I got myself tested in the first place so I should probably thank everybody here but in particular some participants in the Autism and Responses to Auditory Stimuli thread!
That's awesome!

Tom
Old 12th October 2018, 02:46 AM   #26
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

I highly recommend the amazing documentary Autism In Love, about couples on the spectrum. Intense but fascinating. Ithink the whole thing can be found on Youtube.
Old 12th October 2018, 04:00 AM   #27
abraxalito is online now abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Whilst on the recommendations, this book is a most excellent insightful read (and re-read) : Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior (A Harvest Book): Temple Grandin, Catherine Johnson: 9780156031448: Amazon.com: Books
Old 12th October 2018, 05:03 AM   #28
morinix is offline morinix  United States
diyAudio Member

Go to the 8 minute mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S1HK7LQY2I
Old 12th October 2018, 05:26 AM   #29
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchr View Post
Note that Asperger's Syndrome is no longer a diagnosis - at least not in North America. In the DSM-V, it was lumped in with Autism Spectrum Disorder, which as the name indicates is a spectrum that ranges from mild (what would previously have been considered Asperger's) to severe.

I don't recall if it's still in the ICD-10 (used outside North America).
I had an old-fashioned shrink who still used DSM-IV, so I really have been diagnosed with Asperger's. I'm glad about that, because I think the average Dutch person has a far better (though still quite inaccurate) idea about what a person with Asperger's is than about what a mildly autism spectrum disordered person is. On top of that, I don't like the three-letter abbreviation of the Dutch term Autisme Spectrum Stoornis.
Old 12th October 2018, 10:02 AM   #30
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Many years ago I remember reading an article in New Scientist which was asking the question 'was Einstein autistic?'. It gave 8 symptoms of autism; I think I had 7 of them, to varying extents. Many physicists would have many of them; otherwise they could not do their job. I am a physicist.

The article also said that a common risk factor for autism was if both grandfathers were engineers. Both of my grandfathers were engineers.

I don't find it at all surprising that some on this forum are 'on the autism spectrum' and some have a formal diagnosis. I suspect that if I was growing up today instead of over 50 years ago I would probably have a diagnosis too.

I tend to interpret peoples' statements quite literally; I assume that they say what they mean and mean what they say. This sometimes leads to confusion, especially with my wife - who uses language somewhat more loosely.

Asperger Syndrome?Hide this!Advertise here!