Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see 'The Great British Bake Off /Episode 7/Vegan Week' on the TV?
The contestants were faced with difficulties - flavouring, collapsing cakes etc. How do your vegan friends cope with baking cakes?
It's really not that difficult to make good vegan cakes, but the Bake Off-ers had to do it under pressure and for the first time. Baking well seems to me to involve a lot of routine, knowing your recipe and so on - when you've folded mixture just enough, when a cake has risen and 'set' so it won't drop when you open the oven, but isn't starting to toast...

I can rattle off my stock recipes for vegan cupcakes, berry muffins, banana bread or (yes) carrot cake easily, but I'm sure I'd struggle with the non-vegan versions first time out. And I don't even have a personality disorder to contend with! Not diagnosed, anyway. :)

Sticky Fingers in DC (used to be my "local" bakery) won Food Network's Cupcake Wars a few years ago with 100% vegan cakes. Vegan Bakery Sticky Fingers Beats Out Traditional Sweets On Food Network's 'Cupcake Wars All-Stars' | HuffPost

All that to say that I suspect the problem on GBBO was more a bunch of people who never (or almost never) bake vegan suddenly being challenged with it.

Ironic I saw this sign on Corfu last week where honey based products are a major item. I didn't try the entirely dairy free gelato.

Attachments

• corfu.jpg
    corfu.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Why not give the vegans a rest, yes i know that is the thread title but - some are obsessive same as any other group but I've known plenty who just went about their lives quietly.

Someone mentioned that he found them skinny. He is an American, whenever I see news items about the USA I see grossly overweight or obese people most if not all will grossly OD on meat and saturated fats.

Go back to the 70s and by today's standards they look skinny. The Brits were never healthier than during WW11. the fat slob society now engulfs the world, great for big pharma and countries where health has been privatised.

Tell me any government of any political persuasion whom has actually safeguardd the health of their people by refusing to allow fast food outlets or the production of ready prepared garbage full of chemical additives. Where the legalised narcotic alcohol has been strictly controlled or the lnicotine drug barons and their narcotic wiped out - well we all no the answer - nowhere, at no time.

Meat eater, vegetarian, everything we eat has been seriously tampered with. Systemic chemicals in fruit and veg. Animals bred like Frankensteins that are so biologically weak that they have to have anti-biotics and hormones in order to survive.

I well remember seeing a documentary in the UK in the 70s - if you go down to the farm today. The farm workers dressed as if dealing with the effect of nuclear or chemical warfare. Sheep farmers who develop terrible health problems from coming into contact with sheep dip chemicals - is that lamb really tasty?

I feel lucky to have been born long ago to have known food that was relatively free of chemical crap. Like big pharma the massive agri-business has governments by the balls everywhere. It's a numbers game coupled with the charade of democracy everywhere.

The monkey that fell out of the trees needs the planet in order to survive - but the planet does'nt need the monkey, problem is, too many of the monkeys refuse to accept this - so it goes.

They would ask to be sterilised?

They'd get others to be sterilised because at least they'd see the problem and be acting to combat it in some way.

It's those who don't see or recognise or aren't willing to compromise their lives to make a change to help future population that should surely be sterilized first.

Else they'd risk the world being over-populated by even more people brought up and conditioned not to care.. the effect would be a human population equivalent to a runaway nuclear melt-down.

Yes, I saw that program and laughed...

The problem would self solve if Vegans simply avoided all food.... :D

What would solve the problem is the tiny number of vegans in the world ate meat whilst the massive numbers who over-eat and waste meat gave it up completely. Include vegetarians in that.

With some crazy guarantee that couldn't be broken (i.e. magic) , I'd sacrafice constant guilt and feeling sick for the greater good.

Status
Not open for further replies.