Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us try to make what we believe are ethical choices. Unless you believe morality is entirely about expression of personal preference (emotivism) with no other objective basis or claim to universality, then I do believe that my choice (veganism) is 'more ethical' than the alternatives. Why on earth would I bother, if I didn't?
Many are vegan for other reasons, health, environmental, taste preference.

Many are vegan for other reasons, health, environmental, taste preference.
Yes, I agree... ...I'm (merely) making that point that it would take a very peculiar metaethical position to do something for ethical reasons and not believe it's "more ethical" than the alternative.

That seems to be a grumble from some omnivores - "those hoity-toity (ethical) vegans think they're more ethical than us". Well, of course, on that specific issue. If we all considered this a matter of personal preference (like my preference for blue to red) there wouldn't be an ethical argument.

What I was trying to get at was that people can have disagreements on specific ethical questions without assuming those who disagree are inferior beings in toto who have nothing to say worth hearing. As cheesy as it sounds, I find it more productive to try and approach the debate on the basis of shared values and then work out consequences from there. Almost everyone agrees that animal cruelty is wrong, which is a good starting point.

The Vegan Society are investing in synthetic meat research. Completely silent about moving on their position on insects
Because the insects don't look as adorable as mammals?

hqdefault.jpg

OB-HZ031_grassy_G_20100328181932-784362.jpg

What may be of concern to certain members of this forum is whether or not audio electronics and computers are vegan.

Inexpensive circuit boards are made from paper reinforced phenolic resin, which is a polymer.
"Although polymers are manufactured from petroleum feedstock, plastics manufacturers often use additives of animal origin to improve material properties and/or to aid in processing of raw polymers."
Keeping audio components and laptops for as long as possible before replacing them would be in accord with vegan values.

What may be of concern to certain members of this forum is whether or not audio electronics and computers are vegan.

Inexpensive circuit boards are made from paper reinforced phenolic resin, which is a polymer.Keeping audio components and laptops for as long as possible before replacing them would be in accord with vegan values.

Most of my gear is second hand - minimum. Who says an old premium Seas tweeter cant compete with a lot of modern stuff - if you give it a little loving :D

I also rebuild laptops, my nephews 29 year old Peugeot 205 and love vintage quality wooden furniture that last forever.

When I was a kid - candy and soda used to be something you got on special occasions, like a birthday. And it was smaller and not easily accessible on every corner - you also mostly had to earn it. Today there is candy, cake and fizzy drinks everywhere - and people are fat and sick, like ever before.

Meat was also special when I grew up and you had to seriously prioritize your vegetables before getting another piece of meat, that my mother strategically had cut out in smaller pieces on the frying pan.

I believe that you have to be the change and not preach it like some kind of chosen one. I try to be a good example and if people ask me or I see a change to have a productive dialog about an obvious problem like to much sugar, meat, smoking and so on - of course then, I share my opinion enthusiastically :)
But of course, some times I go to far - or not. I am just a human on a constant learning basis throughout life :D

Status
Not open for further replies.