Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main motivation for you I take it is the ethical side then? I have hypertension, I've certainly reduced the amount of meat I'm eating since stopping my short flirtation with veganism, I'm finding I'm eating more fish, could be because I imagine they suffer less than mammals. Definitely eating more fresh fruit and veg and I think one of the main benefits is I think more now about a balanced diet and nutrition than I did.

Yes, that was the main deciding factor. The health side of it also helped make the decision. I also saw it as a way to challenge common belief systems like, we need to consume animal protein to be strong, and we need milk for calcium to build strong bones, etc.

Some of the most powerful animals on the planet are herbivores. I'm not saying we are herbivores, humans are more opportunists that make do with what they have around them. Although some would argue that our digestive system more closely resembles that of a herbivore - (long digestive tract to properly break down plant material).

A video going through the differences of herbivores and carnivores:
Are humans omnivores, carnivores or herbivores? - YouTube

Sorry if it sounds like im trying to sell the veganism ideology, im just sharing what helped me make the decision I came to.

Yes, that was the main deciding factor. The health side of it also helped make the decision. I also saw it as a way to challenge common belief systems like, we need to consume animal protein to be strong, and we need milk for calcium to build strong bones, etc.

Some of the most powerful animals on the planet are herbivores.
:confused: Powerful in what context, per their own weight, powerful doing certain task...etc.? Blue whale is mighty powerful because it's so big.

A video going through the differences of herbivores and carnivores:
Are humans omnivores, carnivores or herbivores? - YouTube
More gibberish video. Plant eating gorillas have canines :rolleyes:

Sorry if it sounds like im trying to sell the veganism ideology, im just sharing what helped me make the decision I came to.
So far, the info you've presented as the reasons you made the decision have been weak if not bogus. Sorry if it sounds like a personal attack but it's not meant to be.

Powerful in what context, per their own weight, powerful doing certain task...etc.? Blue whale is mighty powerful because it's so big.

I was simply making the point that you dont need to eat animal flesh to get protein.

More gibberish video. Plant eating gorillas have canines :rolleyes:

I found the video to be very informative, im surprised that's all you got out of it.

So far, the info you've presented as the reasons you made the decision have been weak if not bogus. Sorry if it sounds like a personal attack but it's not meant to be.

Thats ok, im sure some people will get something out out it. Thanks for your opinion anyway.

Last edited:
I was simply making the point that you dont need to eat animal flesh to get protein.
Herbivore can eat plants humans cannot. They can get protein the way we cannot.
I found the video to be very informative, im surprised that's all you got out of it.
Very informative in your view because it lays out things you personally want to hear. I didn't state that it was all I've got out of it.
Thats ok, im sure some people will get something out out it. Thanks for your opinion anyway.
15% and not 51% brought up earlier is not my opinion.

Herbivore can eat plants humans cannot.

I dont dispute that.

They can get protein the way we cannot.

Not all of them.

Very informative in your view because it lays out things you personally want to hear. I didn't state that it was all I've got out of it.

Either way your comment wasn't very constructive.

15% and not 51% brought up earlier is not my opinion.

I wasn't referring to that.

You said:
reasons you made the decision have been weak if not bogus.

Is this not your opinion?

Anyway, no point going on from here arguing to-and-fro... CBF.

It was a delight talking with you Evenharmonics.

Why apologies, I understand why vegans want to "sell" it. I also don't blame them if they might feel the end justifies the means, it's arguably ethically valid. Some things the Vegan Society says makes it difficult for me to disagree when they are labelled as radicals etc. I'm not going to bother making a list :)

Why apologies, I understand why vegans want to "sell" it. I also don't blame them if they might feel the end justifies the means, it's arguably ethically valid. Some things the Vegan Society says makes it difficult for me to disagree when they are labelled as radicals etc. I'm not going to bother making a list :)
Excellent point.

How long have you been considering going on a vegan diet? Have you tried the "30 day vegan challenge"?

It's not an easy transition in my experience, there is a lot of relearning what to eat. Whole food is generally not as calorically dense so you you have to make sure your getting enough carbohydrates through eating starchy veggies, grains, beans, legumes, etc.

Have you seen post 11? Do you feel a vegan has to adhere to the Vegan Society's definition of veganism?

I think to label yourself is generally not a wise move. Usually, if the subject comes up in conversation I tell people that I choose not to eat animal products, or I say im on a whole food plant based diet. But it is more convenient just to say "im vegan".

Status
Not open for further replies.