Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Scott, I think you missed my point. If there was no need for those animals, the farmers would not continue to farm them. They would either put them down, or they would make sure they don't breed, and let them live out their natural lives (that would I think be a minority case), eventually (or quickly) those species would die out.

Food for the animals vs the humans didn't even enter my thoughts! :)

Tony.

From the Debate: "Those (animals) whose organisation and suffering are close to ours are thought to be included in our moral sphere, while the (very many) others are excluded. Yet, an increasing number of studies unequivocally demonstrate sensitivity in the simplest of organisms. For example, insects have the ability to experience complex emotional states such as anxiety and depression."
Someone please take the time to ready the 'studies' and let me know how to identify a depressed butterfly!

I dont agree that its fundamentalist propaganda, each point has underneath it a link to detailed studies, or government websites, etc, of where all this information came from. Most of which could be considered as a reliable source. At the very least its an indication of the consequence of animal agriculture.

That is what propaganda does.It uses information in an unbalanced, biased and selective way to give a distorted version of the truth .Fundamentalist ideologies like veganism are especially prone to using such methods.

That is what propaganda does.It uses information in an unbalanced, biased and selective way to give a distorted version of the truth .Fundamentalist ideologies like veganism are especially prone to using such methods.
Just like the link posted by ryanj which shows "Livestock and their byproducts account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year, or 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions." when it's 15%, not 51.

I hope this doesn't constitute propaganda, but ladybirds (ladybugs in the US) always look happy and contented to me. Perhaps that's because they are so pretty and colourful.

The UK seven-spot ladybird has a shiny red body with black spots. Farmers love them because they eat aphids. In its year long life, a seven-spot ladybird can gobble more than 5,000 aphids, unless it gets eaten by a bird!

Isn't nature wonderful? A place for everything and everything in its place!

I've spent most of my working life as a gardener, I love "nature" (whatever that is). I've become intimate with plants :eek: and when one is sick or damaged or dying I feel empathy, I'm serious.....but...I get over it...I don't go all mushy or emotional....not for long anyway. I feel this is the way it should be if you want to engage healthily and realistically with the world

Status
Not open for further replies.