Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're drifting back into those ideas that tore apart the U.S. in the 1860s.
I don't think I'm going there. Let me just say this and then I'll shut up about it. As Earl alluded to, it's the image of the Welsh lamb basically having fun and games with his mates playing king of the castle and such like.....call me a fool, I don't care. This is the end of my little delusional fairy tale.......

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
All my animals were free range pasture fed.
Yes there is some industrial type farming [pork and chicken mostly] but consumers can choose alternatives .As I do.it is not that hard.
There is a lot of deliberate misinformation and propaganda surrounding animal farming.May I suggest you get out a bit more and .perhaps visit and talk to some farmers.

I'm not vegan or even vegetarian. I don't have dairy products because I am alergic to them. But I do choose to buy free range eggs, grass fed beef, and whatever other more naturaly produced animal products are available to me.

I do this for two reasons. The first is that the animals live much better lives. The second is that in general the naturally grown animal products taste a lot better too!

I've been to the abattoirs seen the animals being killed, seen them cut up and packed, that was a school excursion when I was probably about 16.

When I was at School we also grew chickens, killed them, plucked them, gutted them, and they were sold to the teachers to raise money for the school.

This may turn some peoples stomachs having experienced these things, and they may have become vegan as a result. For me it was just learning about where our food comes from.

Yes there are farming practices that are barbaric. Yes there are Slaughter practices that are barbaric. Yes there are Live transportation practices that are barbaric. But that doesn't mean that all such practices are barbaric.

I've eaten a lot of exotic foods, but there are some things I would never have.

Listen to what jtgofish said. If you want to make a difference concentrate on the bad practices, not ALL the practices :)

Tony.

Animal Liberation Front Founder Proposes New Definition Of Veganism

The definition from the vegan society:

"A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

A vegan I know feeds her cats on an animal product free diet. Is she taking it a bit too far or is she interpreting the above correctly?

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
I always wondered where that lot were, and all the other alleged animal rights activists were, last time we had an outbreak of Foot and Mouth. A appallingly huge number of animals were needlessly slaughtered - rather than treated and vaccinated - all basically a political decision. Barely a peep from any of the animal rights lot was heard.

I might just change my signature henceforth. "Gaya Rules and the human race sucks"
This crazy world will be here when I'm gone, barring another giant asteroid impact.
Do you think Gaya can redirect an asteroid in collision course to earth? Humans are working on plans and methods to avoid such impact. We already landed a probe on a comet a few years ago. Humans race doesn't suck.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
scottjoplin;5553050A said:
vegan I know feeds her cats on an animal product free diet. Is she taking it a bit too far or is she interpreting the above correctly?
As far as I know, she is. Cats cannot survive without meat, or so says the conventional wisdom. Can't say I've ever put it to the test. Our cat eats mostly dry catfood (fish flavor, he doesn't like anything else). The Captain and Tennille used to have a pair of vegetarian dogs.

Even as a vegan, I wasn't so strict that I wanted to impose the diet on my pets. I do think that's taking it too far. If animal based pet food bothers you, get a guinea pig.

That's what I thought, she said she doesn't like the idea of them eating other animals, I didn't say anything, was a bit dumbfounded. Another vegan friend has a vegetarian/vegan(?) dog, I guess that's a little different, though not sure.

I think again, with both of these it's the motivation that interests me

Thanks Galu.

A few weeks ago I started doing some voluntary work at a local garden ( Plas Brondanw) The young woman who runs the place is vegan (most vegans seem to be women and I suspect many men are attracted to veganism to meet girls ;) ) She didn't make a big deal of it, only mentioning it when I asked her why she used soya milk. I forgot all about it and later on there was a cow in a nearby field, we couldn't see it, making a lot of noise, without thinking I said, that cow sounds like it's being tortured, and immediately she said, it is, kind of jokingly, but of course not. I just laughed, didn't know what to say, I managed just about to stop myself from asking oh do you speak cow?

I am hardly a vegan, some of you would probably gag a little at the sino-italo-western mashup food we serve at home, but I have a close friend who is vegan so I have eaten my share of vegan food.

I do find funny the aversion some have to avoiding meat. It can get comical sometimes, one time a mutual friend had to cook himself an egg over the campfire at 11pm because he was feeling protein deprived on the aforemention vegan friend's camping stag party. Maybe alcohol fueled paranoia :)

Yes, the question of insects is quite interesting. My vegan friend won't eat honey, for example, because he saw 1st hand when he worked a bee farm just how many bees are killed to harvest honey. Quite an interesting philosophical discussion.

Cats cannot survive without meat, or so says the conventional wisdom. Can't say I've ever put it to the test.
What Exactly is an 'Obligate Carnivore?'
"All felids, including domestic cats, are obligate carnivores. But, the cat is not alone in being a strict meat-eater. Other mammals that are classed as obligate carnivores include mink, tarsiers, dolphins, seals, sea lions and walruses, to name a few. Non-mammal obligate carnivores include rainbow trout, salmon, hawks, eagles, crocodilians, many snakes and lizards and most amphibians.

All of these animals became obligate carnivores as a result of their ancestral diets. Because eating a meat-only diet provides some vitamins and fatty acids in their pre-formed state, cats and many other obligate carnivores have lost the ability to make these amino acids and vitamins in their own bodies the way herbivores or omnivores do.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.