Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Causes | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

It is from increasing the CO2 from 280 to 400 PPM. This from burning coal, oil and other combustibles for energy. Next comes agriculture where we turn forests into farm land. Methane from livestock is a small part of it and is balanced a bit by the need to otherwise create more farm land and transport more bulk of the resultant food stuffs.

No the problem is people. Dies that mean Soylent Green is a solution?

So to do your part besides expressing political will, is to minimize energy consumption. Walk for distances less than a mile or so. Use less electricity, natural gas etc. Recycle as much as you can.

Now it turns out there can be minor problems with increasing your efficiency! My local garbage collectors often miss it when I put out my small bag of garbage because I don't do it every week like normal folks. The electric company has sent out their fraud investigator because the energy use dropped so much from the prior occupants in my location.

The upside is that by selling much of my scrap either direct to the recyclers or on places like eBay I now take in about $6,000 a year for stuff that other folks would have sent to land fills.

Now just be be even more contrary, land fills are not all bad! Around here we used to make a lot if steel. Now for every ton of steel made, two tons of slag were produced. Basically a material similar to limestone. This was dumped in valleys and ended up making level land that today is used for housing. Some of the land was used for a giant shopping mall which now is struggling due to the change to more efficient shopping methods.

Try translating this excerpt from 'Verses On The Destruction Of Woods Near Drumlanrig'' by Robert Burns.

"Alas!" quoth I, "what ruefu' chance
Has twin'd ye o' your stately trees?
Has laid your rocky bosom bare-
Has stripped the cleeding o' your braes?
Was it the bitter eastern blast,
That scatters blight in early spring?
Or was't the wil'fire scorch'd their boughs,
Or canker-worm wi' secret sting?"

From watching the process of nature, greater themes of life emerge in Burns' poetry. In 'To a Mouse' and 'To a Mountain Daisy' he reflects on the uncertainty of the future and the fragility of life.

Burns thrived on the healthy Scots diet of two hundred years or so ago which consisted of a fairly limited bill of fare composed of local foods: oats as chief cereal grain; root vegetables such as turnips and potatoes; leeks, cabbage and kale supplemented by wild vegetables such as nettles, sorrel and garlic; butter, cheese and other dairy products; fish, shellfish and seaweed; some meat and game; and numerous varieties of wild berries in summer.

However, he died of an uncertain cause at the age of 37! ;)

This is quite a good article. Seems anything goes when you have "right" on your side. I understand this guy's frustration Cowspiracy: stampeding in the wrong direction? | New Internationalist

Yes and from that 15% contribution you still need to deduct the emissions of wild and feral grazing animals that would replace farmed animals if everybody became vegan.So really the figure is probably more like 5%.
Cowspiracy conveniently forgets that the world has been populated by huge numbers of burping and farting grazing animals for a very long time.

Cowspiracy is cited left, right and centre (if there is a left, right and centre ;)) within the vegan movement, which is a shame since all they have to do is stick to the facts to make a difference. It's totally unnecessary to exaggerate and make false claims, unless the real agenda is not climate change or health but an ethical position, if necessary at the cost of the climate and health

Last edited:
Some queries on the statistics Livestock and climate: Whose numbers are more credible? - Philly

Climate change is a global issue, but any action against it isn't and can't be since the circumstances are different around the globe. All these worldwide statistics are of little help. Everyone is agreed that reduction in meat consumption would be a good thing, reduction in human population would be even better but doesn't get mentioned very much. Permaculture is something that's experimented with in my area, other than that the only thing the land is good for around here is trees and sheep and some cattle. Granted there's a small population so we wouldn't need vast amounts of imported soya and beans.

Oh dear ScotJ,
don't you know that mentioning the one big problem on this planet means the religious ones will not like you. remember God will provide, blasphemy to think otherwise.

David Attenborough has been banging on about the explosion in hiuman population for decades but whenever he is interviewed his population comments ahve always been deleted/removed.

Virtually all wars from way back were always about control of land and resources. As all early human societies were matriarchal was it tribe bumping into tribe and fighting over resources that changed human society from matriarchal to patriarchal.

An ideal human population would'nt exceed 500 million. Vast areas of the planet that are marginal simply would'nt have to be populated, neither would tectonic fault line areas either. Plenty of resources, areas left free of human occupation.

Non of this is remotely possible for the two things that are quite rightly a no-no on this forum - religion and politics.

Without these dysfunctional organisations we could readily get on with finding a way to travel at speeds nec. to find alternative accomodation before the earth turns into a dead entity. With greatly reduced numbers far more species could survive to make the journey with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.