Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon,
you've got some weird ideas. Aka being tall is an advantage - the Romans were all short ***** at around 5 feet didn't stop them from over running Celtic western Europe or the Dacians in eastern Europe. Something about fighting as units and being heavily armoured came into it.
That's odd, I didn't read advantageous from his post. Ancient Roman culture was destroyed from within. I wonder if being short***** has something to do with it.

Wildlife might be coming back in your small neck of the woods but it's being exterminated across Africa,Asia and Central and South America why grow tulips, why not have a wild garden - less work, more bees and butterfies - what's not to like.
I don't know about your neck of the woods but here in America, people have the freedom to grow whichever flowers they want.

Pano - hang loose man 'they' have to be 'right'.
I guess you didn't read the part when he mentioned "you are incorrect" and "obtuse".

Perhaps I missed it but it is clear that children raised as vegetarian do not grow as tall as omnivores. Other bit was when Bill Maher was interviewing a guest and trying to make the point that vegetarian was a superior diet, got told point blank that historically man the hunter gatherer was 6 feet tall and man the farmer barely 5 feet until modern times.
Interesting. I've heard that northern Chinese are generally taller than southern Chinese because there is more meat in typical northern Chinese cuisine.

Interesting. I've heard that northern Chinese are generally taller than southern Chinese because there is more meat in typical northern Chinese cuisine.

What follows is a provocative random collection of quotes from around the place...

The largest Homo sapiens lived 20,000 to 30,000 years ago with an average weight between 176 and 188 pounds and a brain size of 1,500 cubic centimeters.

Researchers believe the reduction in stature can be connected to a change from the hunter-gatherer way of life to that of agriculture which began some 9,000 years ago.

Up until about 12,000 years ago, humans had what one of the study’s lead authors called “an almost ‘perfect harmony’ between their lower jaws and teeth."

The big change, scientists say, came from civilization’s transition from hunter-gatherers to farmers.

Modern humans are about 10 percent smaller and shorter than our hunter-gatherer ancestors, scientists have found, and our brains have fallen in size by the same proportion.

So while taller may or may not indicate health and/or life span, having a smaller brain isn't something to be desired.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Does being a vegan influence your choice of pets ?
It did mine. I chose not to have a pet, although there might have been some that were OK. Mostly I didn't fancy the idea of living with a carnivore and having to feed it.

But now that I'm a vegetarian who eats fish from time to time, we have cats. But they don't like meat, just fish and cheese. Weird.

:D I remember watching a documentary about the Pitcairn Islands and the presenter was talking to one of the inhabitants about the history of the Bounty, at the end of his monologue he asked for her thoughts and she said "I don't know I wasn't there" it was brilliant, amazed they left it in, the producer must have had it in for him ;)

Taller generally means healthier and longer life. The Romans seemed to have had a bit of bother with the wilder folks on their northern border and built Hadrian's Wall and later the Antonine Wall. The wilder folks still hunted, were meat eaters and significantly taller. That lead to all sorts of racial theories a bit latter that had very bad results.

Really? tall_is_hazardous

Only for the better half of our population. That study concludes "Height was significantly positively associated with risk of all cancers" in post-menopausal women . Then this "article" goes on to tell us that we shouldn't mistake causation with correlation, thereby invalidating itself.

Other anecdotal correlations are also invalidated. Taller soldiers etc etc.

Here is a good example. Ice cream sales correlate with pool drownings. Does ice cream cause pool drownings? No, we understand that there these are both correlated to a different thing (hot weather). We don't have this sort of understanding of the processes in the human body yet. We are getting there, but silliness like the above doesn't help much.

Only for the better half of our population. That study concludes "Height was significantly positively associated with risk of all cancers" in post-menopausal women . Then this "article" goes on to tell us that we shouldn't mistake causation with correlation, thereby invalidating itself.
Not only that, they compared people of different height from different nations (different diet, climate & lifestyle). :xeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.