Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.
So participating in defending you and yours which involves maiming and killing other humans is acceptable within a Vegan philosophy?

When I did my old guy diet review, the question on fruits and veggies topped out at 9 servings a day. A serving defined as 2.5 ounces. That makes some apples by themselves 6 servings.

Perhaps I missed it but it is clear that children raised as vegetarian do not grow as tall as omnivores. Other bit was when Bill Maher was interviewing a guest and trying to make the point that vegetarian was a superior diet, got told point blank that historically man the hunter gatherer was 6 feet tall and man the farmer barely 5 feet until modern times.

So as a fat old guy a diet that maintains a healthy weight is I think without any controversy better for you. And for active young growing kids it is going to be much harder to grow well with a limited diet either due to philosophy or economics.

That said I didn't appreciate the rabbits making holes in my backyard and eating my tulips. So when a bobcat showed up and reduced the problem, I was not exactly sad. Now the deer are interesting enough I don't mind what they leave behind.

BTY I live in a suburb not in the country. Wildlife is clearly making a comeback.

Last edited:
Simon,
you've got some weird ideas. Aka being tall is an advantage - the Romans were all short ***** at around 5 feet didn't stop them from over running Celtic western Europe or the Dacians in eastern Europe. Something about fighting as units and being heavily armoured came into it.

Wildlife might be coming back in your small neck of the woods but it's being exterminated across Africa,Asia and Central and South America why grow tulips, why not have a wild garden - less work, more bees and butterfies - what's not to like.

Pano - hang loose man 'they' have to be 'right'. When you need a good quick energy kick do you use halva? one of my favourite meals is chick peas,bell peppers , rakes of garlic, red onion (because they cook up sweet) carrot, celery, tomato puree and the kicker - hot chillis for the masochistic touch - loads of protein, minerals,vitamins, the only downside is some methane production later but who cares.

Simon,
you've got some weird ideas. Aka being tall is an advantage - the Romans were all short ***** at around 5 feet didn't stop them from over running Celtic western Europe or the Dacians in eastern Europe. Something about fighting as units and being heavily armoured came into it.

Wildlife might be coming back in your small neck of the woods but it's being exterminated across Africa,Asia and Central and South America why grow tulips, why not have a wild garden - less work, more bees and butterfies - what's not to like.

Taller generally means healthier and longer life. The Romans seemed to have had a bit of bother with the wilder folks on their northern border and built Hadrian's Wall and later the Antonine Wall. The wilder folks still hunted, were meat eaters and significantly taller. That lead to all sorts of racial theories a bit latter that had very bad results.

Then we could talk about all the now desert that once was excellent farm land till the Romans salted the earth. Some of it has come back.

I do like your assumption that tulips are the only plants I have. There is a reason the rabbits and deer stop by.

The issue is why the bobcat and deer have returned. They are adapting to humans in their range.

Global warming is a self limiting issue!

Strange indeed. I've looked up the different prices for whole chicken here in a mainstream supermarket.

The cheapest one is 2.89€/kg (chicken is about 1.2kg).
The higher quality one but raised inside is 6.99€/kg (chicken is about 1.4kg).
The free range chicken is 8.89€/kg (chicken is about 1.5kg).

For eggs (taking large ones):

0.42€/pc for organic free range
0.30€/pc for free range
0.26€/pc for ground (but mostly open space)
0.13€/pc for ground (but mostly enclosed space)

They don't sell caged chicken eggs anymore in most Belgian supermarkets.

I don't know much about it, but permaculture sounds great philosophically and environmentally. I guess it falls into the same camp as 'humane meat' economically (i.e. how do we collectively achieve something that is unlikely to be produced by the aggregation of individual agents' self-interested economic decisions?).

Status
Not open for further replies.