An evil and pathetic extortion attempt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I like this approach better. Received a couple of hours ago:

Attn: Beneficiary,
I am Mrs Xi Zhu ..,i work with the Citic Bank of China,i wish to place your name as the beneficiary to fifteen million three hundred thousand dollars only due to the death of the depositor who died years ago along with her family.
However,i assure you that this transaction will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law both in your country and here in China once the fund is transferred to your bank account.The funds I am referring to is right here in this bank floating in suspense account,therefore i solicit for your cooperation to be in collaboration with me to have this done,it will be transferred into an account you will provide any where in the world.I will need you to provide the following information urgently to enable the attorney start the processing of the all the relevant legal documents for the fund remittance.
1)Name:
2)Address:
3)Tel:
4)Age:
5)Sex:
6)Occupation Status:
Awaits your quick response,
Mrs Xi Zhu

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> "...please check 'from address' in your header, you will see that I sent you an email from your mailbox...."

Oh come-on, joker. Some of us not born yesterday.

I remember *hand typing* the From field at the command line.

Hand-typing every time I set up a new account or client.

While modern clients remember your From preference, I have never seen one which did not let you change it (though some get hissy). Huh, T-Bird allows a change, with a warning, and a note "if your email provider supports" (attached). _I_ have not used a mailbox which cared what you put in From; I suppose some web-mail and other crippled interfaces are stuck on a default, and a stupid draconian postmaster might over-ride "wrong" From text.

Setting "From" == "To" is an old-old trick to evade stupid mail-filters. Nobody blocks themself.

Attachments

• CustomFrom.gif
    CustomFrom.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 241
Yes things are degrading quickly here. My son drove to Texas from Seattle for a family wedding. He used google maps and uses Gmail. No social media. Inactive facebook. Based on the precision of the policy date addition we see proof, Google sold/sells the map data to all auto insurance companies. We today received a robo generated auto premium increase because he is visiting and staying here.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
On a different tack:

I've been getting email, even several a day, from an organization which is reputable but not one I care about. After verifying the Unsubscribe link traced to the actual organization, I clicked the "Unsubscribe From All E-Mail" link.

I got this:
To unsubscribe from all e-mails, please confirm your e-mail address below and then click the "Unsubscribe" button.
By submitting this form, you are agreeing ... to receiving e-mails from us.

To get off their email list, I have to consent to receiving emails from them??

Yes things are degrading quickly here. My son drove to Texas from Seattle for a family wedding. He used google maps and uses Gmail. No social media. Inactive facebook. Based on the precision of the policy date addition we see proof, Google sold/sells the map data to all auto insurance companies. We today received a robo generated auto premium increase because he is visiting and staying here.

Change your browser to Opera , then go to Settings on the Left hand pane
then select to use a VPN, also available is an adblocker. The VPN is usually sufficient. As example I am charmed by receiving ads for bus tours in Estonia,
knowing that the VPN is doing its thing.

Five or so years ago I had my email address set to public on a songwriting site. Then I started receiving promotional emails from a certain guitar maker in Nazareth, PA. I marked every one spam in Gmail, and after a while they went to the spam folder.

I check my spam folder for errant emails. This company had stopped sending the emails for a few years, but in recent months has started up again.

I'm guessing many people mark as spam emails they signed up for but no longer want (because they're ignorant and/or lazy), as well as many otherwise-legit companies sending unsolicited emails. People's confusion over emails does as much to damage email as a useful medium as does anything else.

I run my own email system, having been tech support for mail servers for years. My wife's and my email addresses have been public for years, on various websites. We average about 1000 spam per day...

I pay for a spam detection package, and that removes almost all of the spams from what I see, though there are a fair number of false positives involved. Still training it. Xeams is the product I use for spam detection.

I got an email the other day from someone pretending to be ACT (as in the standardized testing company). They claimed that due to my "exceptional score" I had won a $40,000 scholarship, and that all they needed was a social security number for me to claim it.

That one went to the trash.

Also, ditto the spam filter thing. If they really worked, all the emails from the university system advertising all these "Great Deals for Christmas!" (it's not even thanksgiving yet) would be filtered out.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Another greek-to-me pathetic extortion attempt:

¡Hola!

Como te habrás dado cuenta, te envié un correo electrónico desde tu cuenta.
Esto significa que tengo acceso completo a su cuenta.

Te he estado observando desde hace unos meses.
El hecho es que usted fue infectado con malware a través de un sitio para adultos que visitó.

Si no estás familiarizado con esto, te lo explicaré.
Trojan Virus me da acceso y control total sobre una computadora u otro dispositivo.
Esto significa que puedo ver todo en su pantalla, encender la cámara y el micrófono, pero usted no lo sabe.

También tengo acceso a todos sus contactos y toda su correspondencia.

¿Por qué tu antivirus no detectó malware?
Respuesta: Mi malware usa el controlador, actualizo sus firmas cada 4 horas para que su antivirus esté silencioso.

Hice un video que muestra cómo te satisfaces yo mismo en la mitad izquierda de la pantalla, y en la mitad derecha ves el video que viste.
Con un clic del mouse, puedo enviar este video a todos sus contactos de correo electrónico y contactos en las redes sociales.
También puedo publicar el acceso a toda su correspondencia de correo electrónico y a los mensajeros que utiliza.

Si desea evitar esto, transfiera la cantidad de $248 a mi dirección de bitcoin (si no sabe cómo hacerlo, escriba a Google: "Comprar Bitcoin").

Mi dirección de bitcoin (BTC Wallet) es: 1JgjcCi7sWmr3L7YXKaTAW2qoQdKztcSeu

Después de recibir el pago, eliminaré el video y usted es nunca más oirá a saber de mí.
Te doy 48 horas para pagar.
Tengo un aviso leyendo esta carta, y el temporizador funcionará cuando abres esta correo.

Archivar una queja en algún lugar no tiene sentido porque este correo electrónico no puede ser rastreado como y mi dirección de bitcoin.
No cometo erroes.

Si descubro que ha compartido este mensaje con otra persona, el video se distribuirá de inmediato.

¡Los mejores deseos!

"I made a video that shows how you satisfy yourself in the left half of the screen, .... If I discover that you have shared this message with another person, the video will be distributed immediately." -- Enjoy me enjoying myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.