Suggestions for cleaning wood?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
More specifically, kitchen cabinet doors. Ugh, mine look nasty, should have dealt with this more comprehensively years ago. Should probably replace the doors entirely but don't want to deal with either the project or the $$$ at this time.

I've sometimes used wet paper towel, then dried off right away, gets stuff off without doing much damage. However there is other caked on sticky stuff from who knows what my wife is doing, and grease residue, and around the knobs/handles I think finger residue. Yesterday I used those anti-germ wipes, they take a lot off, but checking in an unobtrusive spot also not good for the finish, too harsh.

What are better products to use? In particular, those wipes I think have a good texture to get stuff off, is there a non-bleach version of those? And some kind of stuff (Goo Gone?) that won't kill the finish too badly?

...post some pics...
Baking soda will get you a long way with greasy stuff and it's environmentally friendly- works wonders but needs to be rinsed nicely after. There's other stuff like LIDL degreaser , also works nicely if you are impatient and i use a lot on my motorcycle and really nasty greasy residue in the kitchen. Don't know if that is available in the USA, i doubt so. This will eat your hands so gloves are a must.

I've used Howard's Restore-a-finish, really revived my dried-out bathroom cabinets.

For cleaning, they do have a cleaner, I just emailed them if it's really for greasy kitchen use.

Murphy's has great ratings but I also wonder if for kitchen...since they have an orange cleaner as well. Which makes me wonder if the Amazing orange cleaner is OK or if it damages the wood (I wipe off dry and/or it evaporates, I don't leave it on the cabinets)

The best cleaner I have used to clean wood furniture and cabinets is Krud Kutter. I learned about from Thomas Johnson on YouTube who repairs and restores antique furniture. Mixed 1 cup to a gallon of water it's very effective without harming finishes. He also uses and recommends Howard's Feed 'n Wax a mixture of waxes and natural oils to feed and restore the finish after cleaning.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't speak from broad experience, but over the past month or so I've cleaned and polished about 15 pieces of furniture (from dining room chair to canopy bed frame, all cherry wood) using Guardsman Clean & Polish. Excellent product and not much work for such a beautiful result.

Regards.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I frequently use VM&P Naptha. It doesn't seem to bother any finishes like varnish, acrylic, lacquer, shellac. But it does cut thru grease, wax and dirt. It dries fast. You'll want plenty of good ventilation when using it. I use a fan and an open door.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.