Maplin on its way back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello I knew maplins would end up like this closing .. just like Tandys (radio shack) when they started to sell cheap Chinese tat at expensive prices .. they should have kept to their roots could have ended up like RS / Farnell and Rapid to name just a few ... also should have kept up with their kits like velleman and other kits from other companies

all the best

Peter Jones and his online antics won't help me when I'm in urgent need of a diode on a Sunday morning!

That's what I was saying earlier. The electronic components will go down the pan and they will concentrate on hi-tech gear online.
Jones will only invest in what he thinks will sell, the rest will be flushed away.

But, at least there will be a Maplin in some form.

The old Maplin was never going to survive.
I have seen me go in on a Saturday and 3 staff on and only me in the shop and I was just browsing !
It cant survive like that.

RS Components and Farnell are great for components with good prices and fast delivery.
Maplin was never going to compete with its high prices and keeping two of every component.

Last edited:
Peter Jones and his online antics won't help me when I'm in urgent need of a diode on a Sunday morning!

I recall building my first set if speakers in my teens. Everything came from Maplins. Speakers, wadding, crossover components, terminals, wire.
It was sad to see it go, but it had been dying a death for what must have been 2 decades. I joined here in 200x and never really used them again, RS and Darnell became the staple.

I last used then to get me out of a hole with a breakdown at work, maybe 2 years ago. Out of my own pocket...

I needed a LM317 regulator and they had 2. Only just enough for me to get the job done. And they had to ship the second unit from a different store, for click and collect in 2 days. So I collected 1 so I could at least start repairing.

They were only a 2 minute walk away. But in the end it didn't count for much with such limited stock.

Maybe a high speed delivery service as standard would be a good business move?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.