Maplin on its way back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I ordered some stuff from Maplin in the 80's. Liked the hobbyist approach.

In Sweden we have a shop called Electrokit in Malmoe. Fast mail-order delivery and a real shop (but just in Malmoe).

We had and still have a shop called Claes Ohlsson that, in the beginning, started as a mailorder shop. They had loads of nice hobbyist stuff, electronics, mechanics, tools - not everything but a lot. Bought my first tubes (EL34) from them.
Now they are very successful and have shops all over the country. Spotted a shop in Hamburg even. But as someone wrote - they closed down the hobbyist department and sell cheap Chinese crap and household equipment and tools of questinable quality.

It's hard for diy enthusiasts to compete with the massive purchasing power which is enjoyed by manufacturers in relation to electronic components.

I bought a solar PIR security light from Home Bargains. It is housed in a substantial stainless steel enclosure and it has proven to operate reliably.

It cost a mere £5.99!

To replace its two rechargeable lithium cells would cost twice that amount, so I effectively got the associated electronics for free!

When the cells wear out, I'll simply replace the entire security light!

Wonder how much it would cost to diy it? Would the pleasure involved justify the cost?

Let's face it, largish scale DIY electronics is long dead. Too expensive, too time consuming. People want cheap gadgets and they don't give a toss about how they work.

The Maplin shop in Carlisle was in a huge building which must have cost a fortune to run and rent.
Then they had 3 or 4 staff on.
I went in numerous times for a browse and I was the only customer in there.
Not surprising they went bust.
This is why the new Maplin will be online only.

What are these old-school speakers in the ad?

Andy

Attachments

• speakers.png
    speakers.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 45
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.