How people from US of A respond when asked for address

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Several years ago, I bought a couple LPs from the UK and never received them in the mail. Maybe it's because I was living in New Mexico at the time and the sender didn't know NM is a state in the USA? Many US citizens don't know that...

I haven't bought anything from the UK since then.

probably a lucky postman somewhere in Mexico might still be enjoying your LPs;).

The world has become a smaller and smaller place in the last 100 years, and yet we still have our "local" view of the world.

Unfortunately, the education system in the USA has fallen behind other countries.

My granddaughter who I had custody of for 3 years can't even identify the 50 United States on a map, much less the countries of the EU and satellite countries between the old EU and Russia.

Although, I will admit I have trouble with Africa and the far east.

... Have you seen the AuthaGraph map?

Apparently it's a more accurate version of the world map that can be portrayed, bent, folded and viewed in a number of different ways, and still remain fairly accurate.
Globe kit
World map

I am considering purchasing this puzzle variant.

Astrojet, I am not blowing any steam...I wanted to understand the reason, . I found it odd that only from usa its the problem. rest of the world always includes the name of country when sending their address to me.
It's because we don't use metric.
Ha ha :p but actually I'm not kidding, it's a similar mentality. Americans can be very US-centric. I remember sitting in the airport on Santorini listening to a group of Americans discussing the odd habits of the Greeks in Mykonos-"they do this, but they don't do that blah blah blah" until I wanted to scream "THAT'S BECAUSE THIS IS A DIFFERENT COUNTRY YOU MORONS

And as others have alluded to, well actually let me put it differently. We basically just border Canada (which Americans think of as "those white people up north same as us but they say "ey" and "zed", and don't really care about) and Mexico (which Americans think of as tacos and narcos and Tequila, and don't really care about).

I think many many Americans really don't buy or sell stuff to other countries, and simply don't think about labeling their country. And I for one generally do NOT order stuff from overseas due to rampant eBay fraud etc; I certainly refuse to sell to overseas due to fraud (though you can find fraud right here in the good 'ol USA as well :mad:) So we are not in any habit of needing to put USA on anything.

And anyone who has spent any time in a foreign place (whether in one's own country or not!) and gotten to know the locals can quickly extrapolate that we get used to the world that's right in front of our respective noses. US, Canada, Europeans of all cardinal direction, Indians, etc.

That's a fact of being human, not of being from any sort of nation state.

Oh! The young ones born and brought up in Other nations seem to adopt the culture no matter what the culture is at home, too soon, I would guess.
whereas those old ones (parents) who originally migrated to other nations seem to retain the culture / nature / behaviour of their birth nation.
At least it been my experience , many friends and family and their offsprings in various nations.

It probably has to do with the World domination! We being no. # 1 for so long and many forums are primarily used by us, we don't need to send you our country name unless we know that we are dealing with someone outside of our borders.

In almost all the time, it's a laughing matter to write "U.S.A" when sending or receiving mails or packages across the Nation. So, it becomes a habit that most people neglect to write the country name in 99% of the time unless we know you are someone not local for sure.

Other strange extremes are some online address fill-in forms (of US origin) that keep requesting (*) me fill in my State, County, complain about too short ZIP, ask for my Name and Surname (I always mix these, and on top we Hungarians write our full name in order of Family name Given name logically just like in the phonebook. It makes me difficult to understand whether my Last name is my First name, or the way around :confused:).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A lot of places are traditionally like that. Family name comes first. In the English speaking world we now usually list our given name first, then family name. But forms in the USA were often family name first - giving rise to the phrase "Last name first". Confusing!

It probably has to do with the World domination! We being no. # 1 for so long and many forums are primarily used by us, we don't need to send you our country name unless we know that we are dealing with someone outside of our borders.

In almost all the time, it's a laughing matter to write "U.S.A" when sending or receiving mails or packages across the Nation. So, it becomes a habit that most people neglect to write the country name in 99% of the time unless we know you are someone not local for sure.

no. # 1 in digging a hole for yourself.

America is just a nation that naturally looks inwardly. If you buy a newspaper in the 'States, they spend more ink on the local high school sports results than any world news, for example. In fact it may not even cover news from outside the home State, save for a bit of coverage from Washington DC, unless it's sensational.

Buy a 'paper from anywhere else in the world, it's full of international news. Different perspectives, basically.

When traveling in America, one of the things I found surprising is how many people I met there that had never been more than 100 miles from where they were born. I could say 20 miles and not reduce the number by much, actually. (The UK isn't much different).

In contrast, I could count on one hand, and probably have fingers left over, the number of people I know in Canada who haven't been 1000 miles from home, let alone traveled outside the country. (More than 50% of Canadians have college degrees, in itself means traveling from home to go to school). Just different cultures.

They just assume everybody is in the USA, the idea that someone might be from elsewhere doesn't even cross their minds. It's not a failure so much as a cultural trait.

There are a lot of very enlightened people in America, but that doesn't, in my experience, describe the majority, and I don't mean that in a negative way. It is just what they are comfortable with and whom they are comfortable being.

As far as shipping goes, every shipping company I'm aware of knows that a zip code means USA (no-one else uses numerals only), and all that's required to get a shipping quote is the zip code alone. Not sure how it becomes a problem.

Last edited:
When traveling in America, one of the things I found surprising is how many people I met there that had never been more than 100 miles from where they were born. I could say 20 miles and not reduce the number by much, actually. (The UK isn't much different).

From our bean counters:

"There were 70.8 million visits overseas by UK residents in 2016, which was 8% more than in 2015."

Travel trends - Office for National Statistics

As far as shipping goes, every shipping company I'm aware of knows that a zip code means USA (no-one else uses numerals only), and all that's required to get a shipping quote is the zip code alone. Not sure how it becomes a problem.

I am talking about international shipments like between nations of different continents. Many countries use numerals as postal codes, example is India.
And I am not dealing with 'shipping companies' lIke FedEx or dhl or such.... If I use their services, no body will particIpate in GB and buy any PCBs, because of their shipping rates ,.... may be specific to India.
We are talking about local , country specific, government run postal services from developing nations.
Things out there may not be so sofistcated as to Understand that a particUlar postage is meant for USA or any other country if the name of the country is not mentioned.

Someone said about laughing matter to mention USA in their in-country mail.
There shOuld be specific guidelines available for addressing in-country mail... I will post a link of how India, an underdeveloped nation does it....

Regards
Prasi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.