How people from US of A respond when asked for address

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....Someone said about laughing matter to mention USA in their in-country mail.
There shOuld be specific guidelines available for addressing in-country mail... I will post a link of how India, an underdeveloped nation does it.......

I believe we were "laughing" at ourselves, not at other countries.

Hmmmm. I have browsed your 172 page document, including point 26 found on page 47. Yes, very specific list of information for a correct address, from Name to District and State (or PIN). And the instruction "...addressed to foreign countries, the address should be written in Roman letters and in Arabic figures." But I do not see where it says to use the country on out-of-India mail? "Obviously" this is needed, but they forgot to say so.

I already posted the USA post office short instructions. However 99% of postal users *never* read this stuff.

I do not think out postal staff read our own regulations. If you send a *square* envelope through the USPS, this is an extra charge. (The antique mail scanner can not know which way is up.) I ignorantly ordered square holiday cards with square envelopes. HALF of these ether came-back for more postage, or were delivered Postage Due. The other half slipped right through! Which means about *half* of the post office staff did NOT know about the surcharge on square mail. They do not read their own policies.

Yes, India is full numeric post codes. However they are 6-digit. USA is 5 digit or 5+4 digit.

It seems that there are about 27 places which use 5-numeric-digit post codes similar to US ZIP. Some of these are served by USPS, but still nearly 2 dozen post-code forms which "look like" US post code.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Google "often" can swallow a full address and link it to a map, which can be zoomed-out to show what country it is. A street and a 5-digit post-code correctly found an address in Peru, even though 5-digit could also be USA; the Street really helps the search.

And of course if you have a City, Google or Wikipedia will give a short-list of cities with that name. This is not conclusive: the town I live in has the same name as a city in another US state and a city in England. But a Street or a Post-Code should narrow the look-up. Say I am on Duck Bay Drive- likely there is no such street in those other places. In my case the ZIP code actually tracks to the nearest city; my town is too small to have its own post office or ZIP code.

Hello PRR,
the document I linked is the official guidelines for in-country (or inland as the title says) mails and is the part-I.

For international shipments, here is the Part -II guideline given by India post (clause no.11).
https://www.indiapost.gov.in/VAS/DOP_RTI/PO_Guide_Part-II.pdf
It tells us specifically to write addressee country name in caps.
Since document is badly scanned, here is concise version given on website
https://www.indiapost.gov.in/MBE/Pages/Content/More-Info.aspx

So such documents/ guidelines might be available for every country. If its not possible to read in entirety, one should glance over at least once. Postal departments of every country are the oldest and have set procedures from long long time ago. Just my thoughts.

regards
Prasi

Prasi,

It is not that Americans (as in the people living in the U.S.A) are ignorant of postal rules or there are other countries in addition to the U.S.A. It is that most Americans would not know if you are local or not and most people probably forget to ask the importance of where you live.

It is basically that we don't need to write U.S.A for sending Domestics mails and packages. The computerized sorting and routing system in the USPS takes care of it so most people omit the country name (U.S.A) in our letters and packages.

Although it is technically more correct to write the full address including the country name, most people won't write it and it became a habit of not writing it since it is not required to. If you mail a letter or send a package to a friend or family or anyone in the U.S.A and you write U.S.A in both the sender name and the recipient name, there is a slight chance that the receiving party will have a smile when he/she read the addresses. Or a good laugh for that matter. And probably some rolling eyes along with that.

We are not laughing at the World!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
USA is 5 digit or 5+4 digit.
A friend and I used to send each other post cards for fun, just to track delivery times and address errors.
We did a minimum address test that was just his name and Zip+4. The +4 was the same as his P.O. box number.
Example:
Dave Davenport
94085-5555

It made it thru, but there was a hand written city and PO box number on it when it got there. :)

Very high postage rates in the USA have made it very expensive to buy anything; I needed a box of microscope slides, when I searched on Ebay lots came up in China free freight and the USA; $50Us for freight exactly the same make of slides, its the same for everything.
Australia is the same post is so expensive, no wonder the CEO is paid 6 Million DOLLARS A YEAR. yet postal workers earn very little.

Ok megasat16, I was just replying to PRR's enquiry about International address requirements as stipulated by India post. I posted the requirements like name of country, caps, etc in first page itself of this thread. With the post no 64, I was expressing my thoughts regarding how people might follow etiquette regarding international dealings. Read the guidelines posted by the individual's country first, I would say.

I always see flag against the user name and then decide if he is from India or RoW.
In any case I give the following guidelines for sharing address (I try to always atleast)

GB for Baby Huey PCB

World has shrunk too much at the same time we neglect to respect distances/ differences.
We assume entire world is same thing as our immediate neighbourhood. Bad, bad ..

Regards
Prasi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.