How people from US of A respond when asked for address

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When the there are sporadic orders, yes, i always check for correctness or against paypal.

Yesterday, I made around 35-40 paypal invoices...

today I plan to ship to those who made payments... keeping track of everything (making address labels, payments tracking, making the packets, ) its simply overwhelming amount of work for me.

Gotta run to post office before they close for today.....

I'm not sure what kind of answer the OP is looking for. It sounds a bit like he is (perhaps justifiably) blowing off a bit of steam due to a hectic GB. Fair enough if this is the case, as he is doing quite a good service for the community.

I don't see the issue as very different from somebody in the banking world expecting everyone else to know that PWC is Price Waterhouse Coopers or a European thinking the world will know ESA as the European Space Agency.

Having grown up on a small farm in the central U.S. and subsequently lived on 3 further continents, I can guarantee you that omitting the "USA" in an address is not due to arrogance in most cases.

Astrojet, I am not blowing any steam...I wanted to understand the reason, . I found it odd that only from usa its the problem. rest of the world always includes the name of country when sending their address to me.

The OP has found the answer and its posted right here after considering responses from PRR and Tom
(TheGimp mentioned it too as a matter of ignorance...)

Checking address labels for correctness when doing a big GB is not very convenient/ always possible.
Tom, this keeps happening despite this.....
CRC Power Supply (Class A amplifier)

so I wanted to understand.

Ok, like you say its probably a cultural thingy or a bit of discipline-thingy as PRR says.
Probably just have to "deal with it"

regards
Prasi

So no need to pursue the matter further.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have just put M6K 1V2 into google maps... jumped right to the city block... It does much the same with a UK post code.
Strangely, that doesn't work with US ZIP Codes. 98003 and 98105 for example will get you close ...but no indication of the ZIP Code boundaries..

Does for me; except it zooms-in too far.

I used your M6K 1V2 link to open Google then g-Maps. There I put 08077, a ZIP that I once knew very well. The default load showed only dozens of houses, and I knew this ZIP had thousands. I zoomed-out, and the boundaries are clearly marked. Technically this is Riverton post office. However Cinnaminson grew HUGE in the 1960s. The red line is the postal ZIP, including both municipalities.

https://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code/08077/zip-code-08077.asp and ZIP Code 08077 Map, Housing Stats, More for Cinnaminson, NJ also plot ZIP zones.

Attachments

• 08077.gif
    08077.gif
    232 KB · Views: 148
prasi said:
Astrojet, I am not blowing any steam...I wanted to understand the reason

And some of us have tried to explain what we perceive as the reason - essentially that most of us in the US are 'isolated' from postal dealings with people in different countries...

prasi said:
Comeon needtubes... that's bordering on arrogance...

And you call us arrogant in response, when all we have done is try to answer your question. So, I am out. Good luck with your search for truth. (Although, I believe you've received the best possible answer already, but have dismissed it.)

Yesterday, I made around 35-40 paypal invoices...

today I plan to ship to those who made payments... keeping track of everything (making address labels, payments tracking, making the packets, ) its simply overwhelming amount of work for me.

Yeah. Manually invoicing and keeping track of orders is real work. That's why point-of-sale and invoicing systems were invented. :)

If you sort your PayPal activity by "Ready to Ship" you can at least get an overview of who have paid.

Another approach would be to spread the orders out over a few days. Package up ten orders each day. Whether you ship those ten at the end of the day or ship all orders after a week is up to you. As long as you communicate your intent up front, I think most would be OK with it.

Tom

The world has become a smaller and smaller place in the last 100 years, and yet we still have our "local" view of the world.

Unfortunately, the education system in the USA has fallen behind other countries.

My granddaughter who I had custody of for 3 years can't even identify the 50 United States on a map, much less the countries of the EU and satellite countries between the old EU and Russia.

Although, I will admit I have trouble with Africa and the far east.

Hehe, most Americans probably think I live in Wales, England

In my experience it has often been easiest to tell people you’re from London, wherever you happen to live in UK :D

In the US I get a lot of people asking if my accent is South Africa’s, Australian and sometimes Irish. In Canada they always nail it to England. But it’s changed a bit over time, in England my accent is no longer sounding pure to the locals.

People who speak two languages are called bilingual. People who speak one language are called American.

Several years ago, I bought a couple LPs from the UK and never received them in the mail. Maybe it's because I was living in New Mexico at the time and the sender didn't know NM is a state in the USA? Many US citizens don't know that...

I haven't bought anything from the UK since then.

And some of us have tried to explain what we perceive as the reason - essentially that most of us in the US are 'isolated' from postal dealings with people in different countries...

And you call us arrogant in response, when all we have done is try to answer your question. So, I am out. Good luck with your search for truth. (Although, I believe you've received the best possible answer already, but have dismissed it.)

Needtubes,
I have already accepted the logical explanation/answer given by PRR in post no. 12 and by tomchr in post no. 16 and by TheGimp in post no. 14 and my acknowledgement is given in post no. 19 and then further in post no. 23.

most online forms filled out in USA not requiring name of country and thus never crossing the mind to include the same when dealing internationally, did not seem logical to me at that time. Now I understand that it can be a part of cultural routine or as TheGimp said, due to habit. I have little understanding of other cultures /countries.

I have not been much out of the country myself and rarely had dealings with any international shops/ community before coming to DIYA in 2014. I think the first PCB I got was from a gentleman who had done a group buy for a cap multiplier long ago and had last 2 pieces remaining and some partially stuffed VSSA amplifier PCBs. The packet reached me in proper condition with due customs examination, perhaps because I must have sent correct address.

Everyone would agree that by sending correct address, would avoid unnecessary back and forth communication or in the worst case, local post office / local customs exchange port sending the parcel back to sender. Lot of time and efforts lost and also lot of inconvenience to both parties. There is no guarantee that post offices everywhere are automated and have scanners that can read international codes. Although post offices in India are "computerized", they still need to enter the info manually to generate the bar code and he/she may not be well versed with geography.

I dont take addresses from paypal, because its been my experience that people dont necessarily update the address especially when they are using paypal sporadically or always on the move. I have had cases, where people have asked me to send the PCBs to their relative's or friend's place after the packet is ready with paypal address label. So I dont assume paypal postal address is correct and have it individually from members via PM.

After all this is a hobby and should always be. As this is not my full time job, I would need proper info to carry out the tasks in a way that minimizes time and efforts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.