Psyacoustics, TIM and phase error

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can amplifier induced phase error make you feel ill? Plus combining with TIM slurring change a mix mastering from excellent to crappy? I found this link after reading/searching about some early comments by JLH and NPass. Mentioned too was some CDs sounded acceptable on AB then like junk on A. Likewise some previously auditioned 'poor' sounding Cds 'improved' on A. Thd takes a depreciated position in such tests. https://www.mindtecstore.com/mediaf...-Affect-Vigilance-Performance-and-Mood_en.pdf

Yes, of course but the mastering/production process is key there. I would guess some people can detect(feel) the errors in real-time and make adjustments in the studio. But if the final delivery slides into phase error at the consumer level then beat frequencies are produced, spoiling the music. I could keep expanding.

The paper is about two different but similar frequencies being presented to two different ears on the same head. Nothing whatsoever to do with phase errors, as far as I can see. Phase errors in an audio system do not create beat frequencies, unless the phase errors are continually changing to the extent that they are creating new frequencies - this is very unlikely to happen accidentally.

Sorry, you disagree about what?

The paper is talking about two different frequencies to two different ears?

Phase errors do not create beat frequencies, except in the most unusual situations (e.g. a guitar pedal deliberately designed to do just that)?

It is difficult to accidentally create continually changing phase errors - phase errors which are so large that they wrap around 360 degrees again?

When I listen to the opening organ on this track "The Sad Clown Cast" from Admiral Fallow on some DACs, through headphones, I get an uneasy feeling - on others, it's fine. It feels like there is some unsettling beats being created but I haven't analysed the track - I suspect that it's a Hammond organ or a synthesized version of one?

The Leslie speaker inside Hammond organs used a rotating baffle to create amplitude & frequency modulation - a unique & pleasing sound but if the playback system doesn't reproduce the amplitude & frequency modulation correctly, it can produce a feeling of sea-sickness, IMO - probably a good test of replay systems?
Leslie speaker - Wikiwand

Last edited:
I had not listened to that one before today. It would be tough to reproduce even for my regretfully sold Mini-moog. Its definitely a square wave maybe not 50/50 duty cycle. Could be 40/60 or 60/40. Not a 20db octave ladder filter and not very sharp cutoff. No resonance I could detect. It sounds mono but at times stereo. Maybe a Hammond with filter off?

I had not listened to that one before today.
It would be tough to reproduce even for my regretfully sold Mini-moog.

Its definitely a square wave maybe not 50/50 duty cycle. Could be 40/60 or 60/40.

Not a 20db octave ladder filter and not very sharp cutoff. No resonance I could detect.

It sounds mono but at times stereo. Maybe a Hammond with filter off?

Have you listened to it in Wav format? Does it unsettle you?

Sorry, you disagree about what?

The paper is talking about two different frequencies to two different ears?

Phase errors do not create beat frequencies, except in the most unusual situations (e.g. a guitar pedal deliberately designed to do just that)?

It is difficult to accidentally create continually changing phase errors - phase errors which are so large that they wrap around 360 degrees again?
I disagree with all three. Ears? The paper uses an attempt at a controlled soundstage. We can manipulate this easily, the examples are only a starting point for study. Yes phase errors can cause audible and sub-audible beats, polyphonic beats and so on. Feedback networks can create varied phase errors depending on frequency. Other circuit typologies can generate inconsistent phase errors too.

Encoding-decoding methods can generate unintended audible phase errors. ( aka digital artifacts)

There are more questions than answers. For example, simplistic amplifiers with no global feedback often sound excellent with no listening fatigue, especially in class A mode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.