Auto racing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If your gonna go fast round a corner, the 'drift' element should be round the apex...... but then it all depends on the corners radius / speed.

I dont like stability control, I can confuse my TT and will one day sit down and figure out hot to turn it off at programme level and fit lim-slip diffs. Shame there's no hydraulic clutch kit that disconnects the rear drive a-la WRC when ya tug the lever.
I've rode a Yamaha R1 on stickies at a track-day that had T/C, with it on at any level it didnt feel right giving it 'more than needed' on corner exit.... Off things were almost sublime, but 200bhp excitingly frantic :)

My opinion is that if you're too scared to even attempt to 'get in n get on it' at a test track then you shouldnt be allowed to buy whatever posing-pouch.
If I came to 'power', I'd ban SUV's and Vans from being owned by 'yummy mommies' and cars would have to be Faraday cages.

Hey sippy, ever see dirt track racing on clay 1/2 mile ovals? Big side wing panels that catch the air so they can come into the corner full throttle and toss the car sideways. Our local track is 5/8 mile and the corner entry speed is about 130MPH! They use a rolling start and going into the first turn at speed you would swear that nobody was coming out. Cars are just inches from each other and banging into each other, very exciting racing to watch.

The most famous class is know as "The World of Outlaws", they got rained out this year at Bridgeport Speedway. They won't allow them to run the 5/8 oval, instead there is a 1/2 mile track just inside of it. Those cars are FAST!!!
Back when I was racing we didn't have traction control on motorcycles, well we sorta did, it was called throttle control and misjudgement could have you sliding down the track.

BillWojo

Sippy, we have a nickname for SUV's here, "Husmor-Tanks" translates to "Housewife-Tanks". There are women drivers that are very good though, do not have anything against anyone, just saying.

Still, it's an even worse problem that some people (not gender specific) driving tiny cars have some weird firm belief they are driving huge trucks. You know, tiny car taking up a huge space, maybe a truck driver waves them along to get out of the way, but they cannot get their tiny car in between the huge available space sortofthing.

I think Stability Control ensues a false safety of sorts, it makes people feel more safe than they should be, it will fail somehow somewhere. Better to have an unfiltered understanding of the relation between grip, power and direction.

Last edited:
Hey sippy, ever see dirt track racing on clay 1/2 mile ovals? Big side wing panels that catch the air so they can come into the corner full throttle and toss the car sideways. Our local track is 5/8 mile and the corner entry speed is about 130MPH! They use a rolling start and going into the first turn at speed you would swear that nobody was coming out. Cars are just inches from each other and banging into each other, very exciting racing to watch.

The most famous class is know as "The World of Outlaws", they got rained out this year at Bridgeport Speedway. They won't allow them to run the 5/8 oval, instead there is a 1/2 mile track just inside of it. Those cars are FAST!!!
Back when I was racing we didn't have traction control on motorcycles, well we sorta did, it was called throttle control and misjudgement could have you sliding down the track.

BillWojo

I've seen Outlaws race on tv, we have a similar thing over here but a lil smaller capacity called Stock Car..... 2000cc iirc and the 'fastest' guys start at the back and have Gold or Red top plates to the cages.
The only involvement I've had with oval tracks was 'short' Speedway..... till I got asked not to attend, apparently they didnt like me running me mates practice bike on 70% Methanol / 30% Nitro-methane.

I never raced a bike with TC, A it was real infancy stuff and B I only rode 125's and 250's which are 'big spud trust' in front end grip.
If you dont have the spuds, go do Basket Weaving with the W.I.
:D:D:D

Kaffimann,

I used to know a Lady who raced a 914 and a 911, when she drove on the road it was like a magic carpet ride she was sooooo smooth, she could shrink her Merc 300TE D or make it big as a bus.
The second time she took me out in her 911 I re-decorated the interior, then got ordered to clean the mess by her hubby..... who was also my boss!

My mother was a girl racer, first in my dads road-legal sprinting Minis, then Lotus Cortina's, never afraid of over-steer my mom..... she used to pick me up from swimming or Judo and do a few doughnuts in the parking lot to up-set 'the lil boys'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.