Auto racing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Yup. Ban all the silly aero stuff, bin the stupid "must use two different tyre types" rule, change pit stops to one person per tyre as is used in some formats (or some other way to slow them) - to stop pit stop overtaking, remove DRS or make it fully driver controlled and at his discretion so it becomes a skill... Ban driver communication except by pit boards... That'd be a good start!

Bristol NASCAR was this weekend.

I was at Holston River Brewery (less than 1 mile away from the track, 18 miles from home) watching the race on TV, and rode home around 11:30.

Weather Radar lies. It poured rain all the way home (45 minute ride in bumper to bumper traffic on a motorcycle).

Last edited:
Thank the God's there is an unlimited class in most forms of engine powered racing. Top Fuel AA class, unlimited Hydroplane etc. yes there are some limits but they are far enough away to leave some room for innovation. And then there is the really unlimited competition ... world land/water/air speed record attempts. etc.

-Richard

Unlimited hydros limit the fuel used per race, go faster and they take some away...

Can have it the way Perry described, however, probably not that many people with megadollar cars that are willing to go dice with a pack of rental cars.

The vintage races were fun to watch back when it was a place for the super rich to show off their freshly rebuilt testarosas and can am cars with pro stock motors in them.
That was a real mixed bag, and occasionally there would be a session with an mgb running at the same time as some faster cars, scary.

It is disappointing to see what was supposed to be a race come down to some odd series of events, that aren’t necessarily what you’d expect, or have anything to do with what car/driver was the most capable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it...
The brakes are the most challenging part of the car build for the street I have found.
I kept warping the oem Supra rotors with only 300hp, zipping around on surface streets, can’t imagine what it’s with over twice that!

An Ultima GTR would be a great car for me.

So are you planning to run the Caddy on alcohol next?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I've modified every car I ever owned. These new cars are so advanced that all you need to do for a 100 HP gain is open the in and out and crank up the boost. 750HP on the street is really quick and stealth. Some go way beyond what any race car is allowed to do.

In the past, it was adding boost (supercharger or turbo), cams, head work, nitrous and replacing the engine computer and learning to completely retune the car electronically. Including some dyno time.

Now it is all done for you... even the supercharger and turbo. Plus the rest of the car is upgraded to handle it. And, you get a warantee and decent mpg. 8 speed that shifts faster than you can blink an eye. Suspension and brakes to match. In the end, you spend about the same money as an older all DIY project car.

A turbo Supra motor can handle up to 700HP. So, just work on increasing boost pressure --- add larger I/O and increased injector flow and pump and new plugs. Voila! You can probably get 400HP with all stock and only increased psi. Monitor the air/fuel as you go. A little on the rich side is preferred under max power boost.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
To many of those European tracks are far to dangerous. Really not even tracks that the TT races are held on. For those unfamiliar with TT racing they can run through many small towns and through the country side. Stone walls, trees, houses and shops line the narrow streets that are shut off to traffic for the races. Not to mention the spectators that line the side of the roadways. Imagine racing through narrow streets just inches from stone walls and such at 150MPH. The Isle of Mann circuit is 37 miles long and it's not uncommon to have several death's in the annual event.

Lost another legend this year at the Irish Road Racing Championships. My love of speed is what took me off the streets and onto proper road racing courses. You shouldn't have to die for a small mistake or mechanical failure.

BillWojo

I don't know about that, I've only been to 1 motorcycle road race and there was a death in the big race.

I can't say I agree with the F1 negative comments, I find the races exciting as is. Went to my 1st one in 1979 when my dad won free tickets from a radio station. They were less than $20 face value.

As I say, I enjoy the drags. You just have to concentrate for 5-10 seconds.

Indy was great in the CART & USAC together years.

It is callled road racing series because that is where they race: On closed off public roads.

However unlike the Manx TT which is run as a time trial against the clock these races have mass starts. Death is always a possibility and this year William Dunlop died after crashing in practice but his brother Michael is still racing despite losing his brother, his father and his uncle in road racing accidents.
The threat of death seems to be a large part of the appeal to the racers.
And the speed of course! At the North West 200, a 9 mile triangular lay out with one leg following the coastline, they reach speeds of over 200mph or 190mph when it rains!

The prize money of the Skerries 100 Superbike race (where William Dunlop died) this year was bumped by £5000, collected by the friends of Martin Finnegan who died there 10 years ago.

I don't understand the appeal of drag racing, acceleration is only good for getting you to the next corner quicker which is where the fun is. Without corners it is pointless, as is drifting in its entirety.

Well, I wouldn't say drifting is pointless, but drifting as a separate sport may be pointless.

Keiichi Tsuchiya is by many considered the origin of the sport, he'd participate in races, and when he got into the first place position he'd always drift every single corner until the race was over, often for several laps.
AE86, the legend still lives. It is beautiful, Keiichi made drifting a form of art.
YouTube

He is one of the main reasons the AE86 is so sought after, to this day even. Without Keiichi driving the AE86 we would never have gotten the Toyota GT86. Maybe we would not even have the Honda S2000?

Completely agree on the straight ahead thing, corners are more fun.

I don't understand the appeal of drag racing, acceleration is only good for getting you to the next corner quicker which is where the fun is. Without corners it is pointless, as is drifting in its entirety.

It's not just putting your foot down and going in a straight line, there's a bit more involved, plus you get to see the whole event instead of waiting for a parade to go by...:cool:

It's not just putting your foot down and going in a straight line, there's a bit more involved, plus you get to see the whole event instead of waiting for a parade to go by...:cool:

Indeed, as a live event, I much prefer drag racing. You can see with your own eyes whatever happened, good and bad, for the whole race. Compare that to a road race course where you are instead listening to an exciting race event over a tin can PA system, as there is always a slim chance that it actually happens in front of your seat.

Drag racing is for live spectators, F1 is for TV. It's hedonistic to see expensive equipment intentionally, groundshakingly destroyed for your pleasure.

I've modified every car I ever owned. These new cars are so advanced that all you need to do for a 100 HP gain is open the in and out and crank up the boost. 750HP on the street is really quick and stealth. Some go way beyond what any race car is allowed to do.

In the past, it was adding boost (supercharger or turbo), cams, head work, nitrous and replacing the engine computer and learning to completely retune the car electronically. Including some dyno time.

Now it is all done for you... even the supercharger and turbo. Plus the rest of the car is upgraded to handle it. And, you get a warantee and decent mpg. 8 speed that shifts faster than you can blink an eye. Suspension and brakes to match. In the end, you spend about the same money as an older all DIY project car.

A turbo Supra motor can handle up to 700HP. So, just work on increasing boost pressure --- add larger I/O and increased injector flow and pump and new plugs. Voila! You can probably get 400HP with all stock and only increased psi. Monitor the air/fuel as you go. A little on the rich side is preferred under max power boost.

Thanks but I had the 4.0 V8 and not the supra, preferring the more stealth chassis of the Lexus instead...
Never been into turbos, or straight sixes, just a personal thing I suppose, they both always seemed more like an industrial engine than a hot rod.

Haven’t been watching much racing either, and it could be for the reasons that Perry has mentioned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.