Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Audiophile Contentment Syndrome -- are you a victim?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2018, 12:09 AM   #1
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Audiophile Contentment Syndrome -- are you a victim?

While I rarely post in this forum, I am a true DIY audio hacker. I've dabbled in stereo for 35 years or more. While my systems have included pedigree names like Conrad-Johnson, Infinity and the like, I confess that in recent years my Stereo has included the name Bose. In fact, for the past few years my system has contained no less than 5 units being the dubious name Behringer .

That candid admission aside, I * have * done several DIY projects, usually to disappointing results. Perhaps my most successful was obtaining a beat-up pair of Yorkville Unity U15 and making them active. This necessitates active EQ, and with a pair of rickety homemade subs, I have 8 channels of active. My "source" is a sub-$200 PC running JRiver.

I have basic equipment and skills to do audio testing with REW or similar. My system is dialed in with custom EQ and much less precise delay timings. And therein perhaps is the "problem".

I am satisfied with my system. I have hardly made any changes in months. On occasion I "tweak" a setting but to no avail. Have I lost the audio bug? Am I doomed to years of simple enjoyment of my system with little hacking, building of new gadgets, or what have you?

Is there no hope?
Old 18th July 2018, 12:52 AM   #2
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Perhaps in light of other priorities you find it not worth the trouble.

Perhaps you lack talent despite 35 years of effort.

Perhaps your hearing is going.

Perhaps the rest of us are misguided and insane.

Perhaps luxury audio brands serve more as symbols than as true vehicles of quality to the end user.

Perhaps the end userís enjoyment correlates far more with their state of mind than the quality of their kit.

All options are plausible, simultaneously or in isolation.

Of course, I hope the more unfortunate options are not true in your case.

This thread will likely not end well, but Iíll venture my experience: Imho thereís nothing wrong with behringer or inexpensive gear. A clever man with cheap gear can get much farther than fool with deep pockets. Also, itís surely possible to enjoy music on even the rustiest and mangled of boomboxes.
Old 18th July 2018, 02:17 AM   #3
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
Am I doomed to years of simple enjoyment of my system with little hacking, building of new gadgets, or what have you?
Is there no hope?
You are just staring into the abyss, or maybe the disco void. YouTube
Old 18th July 2018, 02:27 AM   #4
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
...Am I doomed to years of simple enjoyment of my system with little hacking, building of new gadgets, or what have you?...
Is that a "doom"? Or have you found your own nirvana?

_I_ have not touched my hi-fi in 15 years. Just top-grade commercial integrated(!) amp and medium-grade consume speakers. This replaced a very hacked-up extreme system (beryllium diaphragms, and woof-box bigger than a large dog-house) which mainly served to show-up my hearing loss. So despite decades of cleverly using low-price and DIY recording gear to exceed what well-heeled recordists got, I'm sunk in my contentment.
Old 18th July 2018, 03:39 AM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm kinda there, too. Built the big horn system, the SET amps, had the ultimate listening room (the lava cave). These days I'm happy with the big warm and woolly vintage console in the living room. Do I miss the high end gear and acoustics? Yes, sometimes - but I enjoy just having some decent sounding music playing. Or fooling around with all the crazy settings on the Yamaha 7.1 amp I bought for $20.

Do we get satisfied, or does the flame burn out?
Old 18th July 2018, 05:40 AM   #6
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It's not that bad. Sometimes we just change priorities or lack inspiration for some time. Further more I believe that there are up's and down's in a hobby - just ask anyone that work on cars, like I do reguarly

I had the same system for years, until I got inspiration from PA-systems, to build some kind of hybrid. I tried all the things with tweaks, measurements, different hifi-drivers and layouts.
And after I tamed most of the problematic acoustics and reached a near perfect result with filters/measurements - I simply enjoy my system for everything. I see movies, surf the net, listen to music when making food and also just fall deep into my sofa, when listening to some old known music, with everything else turned off.
What next? Well I think I need to polish the systems aesthetics and I still have some kind of small tweak to be done with the area around 100 to 200hz, thats tends to "bloom" a little - mostly with modern music. But for now I control it a bit with the presets I have build into my DSP.

Maybe visit some people, who do it totally different than you, but still get nice results. This might inspire you to keep your hobby going
Old 18th July 2018, 08:06 AM   #7
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

I think the OP will be quite amused at what some of the posters here have for kit.

Maybe he thinks we are all up to our ears in Shindo?

There are no rules. You are in the driverís seat.

The most knowledgeable here have pretty spartan / unassuming setups from what Iíve seen. Of course, thatís not to say it doesnít sound great. Itís just generally not what you might find on the stereophile recommended components list.
Old 18th July 2018, 01:10 PM   #8
soundbrigade is offline soundbrigade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
It's clear sign you are loosing the grip when you start listening through a wwhole CD instead of jumping up and down adjusting the speakers' toe-in, balance or swapping to another signal cable with a different signature and constantly listen to the same 37 seconds of your favourite CD over and over again.
Old 18th July 2018, 01:21 PM   #9
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I was recently doing some measurements of my speakers to get data for a new crossover. My Mother in law asked why I was doing it because they sounded so good already. The answer I gave was that I knew that they could be better.

The current crossover I've had for the last 8 years. There has been a change in that time in that I introduced a new active crossover to cross to 10" woofers for the bottom end, but from 270Hz up has remained the same for 8 years. I guess the need to make changes varies. With me it is that I've learned a few things over the last 8 years that means that I feel I could do a better job now than I did back then. It's not that I don't like the sound of my speakers at present, but I'm pretty sure that they could be better, and I think that I now have the ability to make them better. I guess I will find out eventually (I tend to be slow with any of my projects )

edit: and by BTW the only thing in my system that I didn't build myself ( I don't count the TV) is my DVD/CD player. A marantz DV18 Mk II.

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 18th July 2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add comment about DIY.
Old 18th July 2018, 08:56 PM   #10
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I have done the same thing, by going through some piece of equipment to the best of my knowledge/hearing/abilities, then maybe after a measure of time, going back to revisit things based on increased capabilities.
I have three systems; headphones at work, a pretty good sounding car setup, and the home system. While pleased with certain aspects of each arrangement, Iím not sure I have fallen into a glowing state of euphoria or anything.

Audiophile Contentment Syndrome -- are you a victim?Hide this!Advertise here!