Audiophile Contentment Syndrome -- are you a victim?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These days I'm happy with my main system and become slow to make new experiments, but I always try to remember that is not only about results; is also about the path, experiences, etc. When we travel we must walk/run/drive/fly etc for achieving a destiny. Sometimes the path is more beautiful than the destiny, and we learn new things. Of course, without the need to achieve something, is difficult to wander around (or starts something), but perhaps sometimes wandering around leads to something if we maintain a good sense.
That is a very good description of a spiritual journey. :angel:

Agree with many sentiments expressed. Contentment is good, however attained.

I always longed for a good stereo, but could am frugal and could never bring myself to spend large sums of hard earned $ on equipment. My first amp was a Heathkit built at school. It was a good start purchased to save cash. Later a hi watt commercial receiver and Boston Acoustic speakers allowed me to enjoy music, but was never all that great.

The real DIY fun happened by chance. We bought a reasonable system for the living room (Denon + Totem). It provided better window into the music. TNT Audio claimed you can improve sound with DIY cables. I was surprised how much better things could be with almost no $ and a little work. (realize how troubling that is to so many here, but that was my experience)

This tinkering led to a Peter Daniels chip amp kit. OMG. Dirt cheap and much better than the Denon. Tweaking old CD players soon left the Denon front end in the dust. I was hooked on DIY.

Later built tube amps, a very good (IMHO) digital front end and DIY speakers all without a lot of money. This gave me a whole new appreciation for audio. AND there is an incredible sense of accomplishment at learning how to do something and then the reap rewards. I was forced to learn basic electronics, wood working, CNC fabrication and expand my digital skills.

No doubt there are better systems out there, but I have reached that level that satisfies my needs and I am content to do more listening than tinkering.

Must admit that for me, DIY audio has been an amazing hobby. I cannot imagine I would be half as content listening to some exotic tube system that was bought not built. Even if it was as good as the home grown stuff.

I can’t see anyone, on a diy forum, being a victim. Even if you take the most extreme diyer who’s always diy’n it up year after year making projects from the leftovers of the previous project... he gains experience on this audio journey. Vs the victim. The victims are buying without understanding. They’re asking the sales guy “what do I need...”. That hunger to keep trying, learning, comparing, experimenting, doing, testing, designing, creating is the opposite of victim.

I can’t see anyone, on a diy forum, being a victim. Even if you take the most extreme diyer who’s always diy’n it up year after year making projects from the leftovers of the previous project... he gains experience on this audio journey. Vs the victim. The victims are buying without understanding. They’re asking the sales guy “what do I need...”. That hunger to keep trying, learning, comparing, experimenting, doing, testing, designing, creating is the opposite of victim.
Yes, they have been indoctrinated, and don't even realise.

I don't suffer from "Audio Nervosa" the way some do. Many of the components I'm still using were purchased more than 20 years ago.

I do like DIY because I am cursed with curiosity and like to learn about both electronics DIY and Audio in general. But I don't purchase things I don't like, so there isn't pressing deficiencies I need to address. If a new component arrives that I prefer to what I have, it will go into the system and replace the older example. But I could happily live with that original device if need be.

I am a victim when daughter listens her music on iPhone. Even more, when I drove her car to the service center, I discovered that EQ in her car was tuned to sound as shrill as her iPhone!

I have experienced this on brand new cars, "fresh off the press" so to speak. Even more likely if it's an aftermarket stereo unit.
It may have been the EQ was never touched.

... I always end up fiddling with the sound settings in every single car I'm in, whether it's as a passenger or driver. Many menu systems are really hopelessly put together, but you get there, eventually...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.