Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Are you hung up?
Are you hung up?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2018, 10:01 PM   #11
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Are you hung up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Or pick up some scratchy old Hawaiian LPs from the thrift store, mix a rum drink and drift away.
Pano, you didn't need to give away all my secrets in one post did you?
Old 15th July 2018, 10:16 PM   #12
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Kool
But my wife would say yes I am, at least with audio in general, not the way you postulated.
Old 15th July 2018, 10:24 PM   #13
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Or pick up some scratchy old Hawaiian LPs from the thrift store, mix a rum drink and drift away.
My no-fi heaven... YouTube
Old 15th July 2018, 10:41 PM   #14
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Are you hung up?
Quote:
Are you worried that you may be too obsessed with how your system sounds and measures to the detriment of taking pleasure in the result of it's primary purpose? Anyone willing to admit to it and have any advice for people who think it might be harming their quality of life?
It might possibly be a male thing, no different with cars, watches etc. it wears off with age
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 16th July 2018, 12:28 AM   #15
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Itís almost done, and when itís done it will all be fine...
Old 16th July 2018, 08:55 AM   #16
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
My no-fi heaven... YouTube
Nice, listened on my laptop speakers....does it get any better than that?
Old 16th July 2018, 10:17 AM   #17
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Are you hung up?
Look at it like a project car. You may have something in the garage that you spend your weekends working on, but you still have a newish* car on the drive for actually taking to work.

The audio equivalent is that you have a sizeable music collection and a variety of ways of enjoying it. The fact that as a hobby you mess around with rediculously OTT systems runs in parallel and is not a problem for the music lover.

*By newish I mean less than 20 years old.
Old 16th July 2018, 10:43 AM   #18
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

+1

And one of my favourite listening positions is still down the garden armed with a large drink, with the music blasting through open doors... DIY festival mode.. What stereo image? Just enjoyment..
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin
Old 16th July 2018, 03:39 PM   #19
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you worried that you may be too obsessed with how your system sounds and measures to the detriment of taking pleasure in the result of it's primary purpose? Anyone willing to admit to it and have any advice for people who think it might be harming their quality of life?
The primary purpose of a system can also validly be to sound best and measure well.

There is nothing wrong with that at all.

Paradoxically, a person can be obsessed with how their system sounds and measures precisely because they are completely happy with listening to music on any old source - radio, phone, cheap set-up - so they already get their musical pleasure in spades. Therefore the extra enjoyment they get from their enthusiast system is exactly the honing in of accuracy/measurement.

I would put myself in that camp too to some degree - I'm happy with the radio and portable source/iems so my main system can be all about other things whilst still able to play music perfectly well at any stage/state. Some of that is the enjoyment of trying out different stuff for the sake of it.

To be hung up about people being hung up on the sound/measurement of their system is kind of blinkered thinking, to only imagine that people must be wierd if they don't think like oneself... isn't it?

Last edited by NATDBERG; 16th July 2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 16th July 2018, 03:50 PM   #20
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATDBERG View Post

To be hung up about people being hung up on the sound/measurement of their system is kind of blinkered thinking, to only imagine that people must be wierd if they don't think like oneself... isn't it?
I would think so , yes

Are you hung up?Hide this!Advertise here!