Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Guy exposed cable salesmen tricks, gets kicked out of audiophile society
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 10th July 2018, 10:04 PM   #1
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Guy exposed cable salesmen tricks, gets kicked out of audiophile society

Mark measured a 2dB difference at an audiophile show in a demonstration between cheap and expensive power cables - something that shouldn't be possible.
His blog post about this got him into a feud with the head of the audiophile society who wants him to remove his criticism from the internet.

An interesting read for sure!

Audiophile Societies – A True Story | Real HD-Audio

Last edited by Pygmy; 10th July 2018 at 10:56 PM.

Old 10th July 2018, 10:14 PM   #2
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
Cool, nothing like catching them in the act. I hope he stands his ground if possible, event tickets often do have an enormous amount of fine print that no one reads. The stuff Bruce Brisson of "MIT" cables, Nordhost, and Chardas publish is an insult to the intelligence of just about anyone.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 10th July 2018 at 10:33 PM.

Old 10th July 2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Pygmy is offline Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If there's anything audiophiles need it's people not afraid to call out the snakeoil salesmen.
What I would love to see is a reply from the respective manufacturer to call for an unbiased test - agreed upon by both the manufacturer and the critic - to reproduce the show results in a controlled setting.
I don't see how any manufacturer standing by their claims would object to that.

Old 10th July 2018, 10:25 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I hope Mark stands his ground. I have gotten up and walked out of such demos because they irritate me.

Old 10th July 2018, 10:47 PM   #5
gofar99 is offline gofar99  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree that there is a lot of snake oil out there and can not personally condone it either. I'm with Mark...I would rather be kicked out of some group for telling the truth than stay quiet and allow others to be duped.

Old 10th July 2018, 11:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

FWIW I agree 100% with you

Old 10th July 2018, 11:14 PM   #7
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Was the mike on a stand? How reliable were the measurements? I would imagine he felt an overwhelming urge to prove power cords cannot possibly sound different which may have introduced a slight measurement bias.

Old 10th July 2018, 11:21 PM   #8
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Was the mike on a stand? How reliable were the measurements? I would imagine he felt an overwhelming urge to prove power cords cannot possibly sound different which may have introduced a slight measurement bias.
2dB level change, right?

Old 10th July 2018, 11:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

2dB reflects a very substantial change in acoustical power delivered to that listening location. (By the way Mark is an expert in living record technique)

Old 10th July 2018, 11:30 PM   #10
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Was the mike on a stand? How reliable were the measurements?
A guy with an iPhone next to him measured about the same difference.
That's good enough for me.

Closed Thread

Guy exposed cable salesmen tricks, gets kicked out of audiophile societyHide this!Advertise here!