Guy exposed cable salesmen tricks, gets kicked out of audiophile society

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark measured a 2dB difference at an audiophile show in a demonstration between cheap and expensive power cables - something that shouldn't be possible.
His blog post about this got him into a feud with the head of the audiophile society who wants him to remove his criticism from the internet.

An interesting read for sure!

Audiophile Societies – A True Story | Real HD-Audio

Last edited:

Cool, nothing like catching them in the act. I hope he stands his ground if possible, event tickets often do have an enormous amount of fine print that no one reads. The stuff Bruce Brisson of "MIT" cables, Nordhost, and Chardas publish is an insult to the intelligence of just about anyone.

Last edited:
If there's anything audiophiles need it's people not afraid to call out the snakeoil salesmen.
What I would love to see is a reply from the respective manufacturer to call for an unbiased test - agreed upon by both the manufacturer and the critic - to reproduce the show results in a controlled setting.
I don't see how any manufacturer standing by their claims would object to that.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This particular society is known for being industry friendly with all that could connote, so I am not surprised unfortunately. Sort of inevitable based on the personalities involved.

They prey on the ignorance of people who don't understand how the underlying technology functions. Back when I had a business in the late years of the last century a significant amount of work I did involved undoing tweaks that actually interfered with the electrical operation of the tweaked device - in particular CD players. Go figure.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would imagine he felt an overwhelming urge to prove power cords cannot possibly sound different

I don’t know about sound differences, but i have certainly seen measurements showing differences (don’t ask where, i can't recall).

2dB difference with power cables would require some sort of intervention elsewhere to achieve i would think?

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.