Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Guy exposed cable salesmen tricks, gets kicked out of audiophile society
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 11th July 2018, 12:44 AM   #21
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Not hard to understand why since any impartial third party is going to find minimal benefit putting it kindly. Who wants to hear that a $10 generic 14awg IEC computer cable is at least as good as their expensive work of art?

Of course in theory this is what all those unbiased audio reviewers are supposed to be doing... (Apparently not)

Old 11th July 2018, 07:37 AM   #22
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

To me the "2db scam" is just very naive. Having attended many similar demos i am certain the audible differences cannot be emulated by simply boosting the volume, this is just childish. Otoh, any demo which is based on a file source controlled by a salesman is suspect. Too many opportunities for fraud exist, but volume boost... give me a break.

Old 11th July 2018, 08:42 AM   #23
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

On Day Two of CES 2018 Proof That A.C. Cables Make a Big Sonic Difference | Analog Planet . This has level differences. The samples were analysed in the snake oil thread.

Old 11th July 2018, 11:31 AM   #24
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
[url=https://www.analogplanet.com/content/day-two-ces-2018-proof-ac-cables-make-big-sonic-difference]This has level differences. The samples were analysed in the snake oil thread.
The question is why, it's the easiest control of all. Mr. uber ears can't tell when simply the volume has changed, I don't believe it.

Old 11th July 2018, 11:56 AM   #25
JPS64 is offline JPS64  Germany
diyAudio Member

Here the link to the two US patent for the Thunder cable.

US7126055B1 - Apparatus and methods for dielectric bias system
- Google Patents

US9373439B2 - Dielectric biasing circuit for transformers and inductors
- Google Patents

JP

Old 11th July 2018, 04:22 PM   #26
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Too many opportunities for fraud exist, but volume boost... give me a break.
What's your reasoning there? It seems like a good trick. A 2dB increase should just be noticeable and louder has been shown as favored in listening tests. Seems like a good trick and easy to do.

What's your objection?

Old 11th July 2018, 04:29 PM   #27
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

His own brand of expensive powercables were lower output than competitor's (NordOst).

Old 11th July 2018, 05:03 PM   #28
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS64 View Post
Here the link to the two US patent for the Thunder cable.
Patents are just an appeal to authority. "The USPTO agrees that our stuff is special. You should buy our stuff." It's the audiophile version of a white lab coat.

All you need to get a patent is an invention that is novel, non-obvious, and reproducible by someone skilled in the art. There is no requirement that the invention has to work or provide a benefit. Oh. And you also need money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
What's your reasoning there? It seems like a good trick. A 2dB increase should just be noticeable and louder has been shown as favored in listening tests.
It's also a trick that's been studied scientifically (i.e. in a controlled experiment). Louder sounds better. The level change does not have to be all that dramatic. Somewhere around the minimum perceptible change threshold is often enough. This is why scientific experiments involving the perception of sound quality use level-matched sound samples.

Tom

Old 11th July 2018, 05:14 PM   #29
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

That threshold is closer to 0.5 dB, so 2 dB is WAY over that, to boot.

Old 11th July 2018, 05:22 PM   #30
irribeo is offline irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

But the Audioquest salesperson wasn't selling the Nordost, the loudest.

Closed Thread

Guy exposed cable salesmen tricks, gets kicked out of audiophile societyHide this!Advertise here!