Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Guy exposed cable salesmen tricks, gets kicked out of audiophile society
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 10th July 2018, 11:40 PM   #11
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't understand why people can't accept that some of these folks are just shysters and frauds. I have tolerance for self delusion but there are limits.

Old 10th July 2018, 11:46 PM   #12
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hmmm. Sounds like Bob Levi got serious push back from his vendors.

Old 11th July 2018, 12:12 AM   #13
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This particular society is known for being industry friendly with all that could connote, so I am not surprised unfortunately. Sort of inevitable based on the personalities involved.

They prey on the ignorance of people who don't understand how the underlying technology functions. Back when I had a business in the late years of the last century a significant amount of work I did involved undoing tweaks that actually interfered with the electrical operation of the tweaked device - in particular CD players. Go figure.

Old 11th July 2018, 12:15 AM   #14
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
This particular society is known for being industry friendly with all that could connote,
so I am not surprised unfortunately. Sort of inevitable based on the personalities involved.
Dealers played that loudness trick for many years as well.

Old 11th July 2018, 12:16 AM   #15
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
I would imagine he felt an overwhelming urge to prove power cords cannot possibly sound different
I don’t know about sound differences, but i have certainly seen measurements showing differences (don’t ask where, i can't recall).

2dB difference with power cables would require some sort of intervention elsewhere to achieve i would think?

dave

Old 11th July 2018, 12:28 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Mod hat off for now.
I wonder how long this thread goes before being shut down for the same reasons all other cable threads get shut down. It's just a matter of time.
Why? Nothing said here attacks a person but the ideas they express. OTO
H cable threads are doomed, period.

Old 11th July 2018, 12:30 AM   #17
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wonder how long this thread goes before being shut down for the same reasons all other cable threads get shut down. It's just a matter of time.
This thread is different, in that it starts from a premise of reason unlike most others which are based on magic. The ones out of line here will the those who support the latter.

Old 11th July 2018, 12:32 AM   #18
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

And it's not a cable thread either, it really is more about business ethics.

Old 11th July 2018, 12:35 AM   #19
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Scott, I removed my post, apparently too quickly, and I will go back to monitoring. This is the most interesting thread ever about cables. I really should have noted the difference.

Old 11th July 2018, 12:38 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
And it's not a cable thread either, it really is more about business ethics.
The best scenario is to have the manufacturer submit to the same test with a third party referee checking all the variables. Typically this is shunned.

Closed Thread

Guy exposed cable salesmen tricks, gets kicked out of audiophile societyHide this!Advertise here!