Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Member's lack of etiquette in PM's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2018, 09:24 PM   #1
MASantos is offline MASantos  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default Member's lack of etiquette in PM's

(RANT)
I have been selling some stuff on the swap meet and am starting to get really mad at members not following the simplest rules of communication!!!

Is it really that hard to write Hello, or Hey there?!? and signing a message with the name or at least the forum handle would also be nice.

But the thing that is making me really angry is people not answering their messages. I have had at least 3 members simply stopping all communication.
I would expect a simple: "Thank you, but I'm not interested anymore" (which takes anyone 10 seconds to write and press send).
Especially after having spent time figuring shipping prices and going back and forth with these members regarding a possible sale.

I've been a member for a long time and have had my share of PM'ing and never saw such behaviour here. (RANT OFF)
Old 5th July 2018, 10:13 PM   #2
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

MASantos

Bad Education is normal nowadays among Young people...
You know, Education begins at home, and today parents don't have time to Educate.
Old 5th July 2018, 11:04 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As you can imagine I get a certain number of PMs that lack civility..

It's a lousy feeling when you put a lot of effort into answering a question and you don't get any acknowledgment. Courtesy does go a long way.

It seems to be a trend in the English speaking world and is probably the consequence of the prevalence of "text" speak, twitter, etc., and possibly the result of small hard to use devices. I know I am terse when responding on my phone because it is hard to type on that touch screen keyboard.

I hardly ever get nibbles on swap meet and hate selling on eBay. I wish you luck.
Old 6th July 2018, 12:48 AM   #4
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

It’s a me me me, narcissism thing, is why I just throw stuff away or donate to a thrift shop instead of trying to sell on the local online classifieds.
The best is when people ask if you’ll sell for less than half of you asking price in a one liner...

I haven’t tried selling here on the forum, sorry to hear it isn’t a great place to sell either.
Old 6th July 2018, 10:52 AM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

People, at least in most Western countries, are now brought up to believe that the world revolves around them. They think narcissism is a virtue. As they rarely hold conversations face-to-face even with their friends (but use technology instead) they have no idea about the little courtesies which smooth the path of human interactions between strangers.

Having said that, my wife tells me I am too terse in emails because after saying "Hi" I then launch into the substance of the email instead of asking how someone is etc. Of course, when I send her an email I already know how she is because she is probably sitting in the same room as me and waiting for the document or picture attached to the email so she can do something useful with it.
Old 6th July 2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

On the flip side, I get about 500 PMs a year here and almost all have been courteous two way conversations. There is the odd dropped conversation, but those often pick up again months later (much to my surprise). I've bought and sold on the swap meet a dozen times or more with no problems. Those exchanges were polite and to the point. Never a problem.

Perhaps my standards are low, but I'm not expecting flowers either.
Old 6th July 2018, 01:57 PM   #7
radiosmuck is offline radiosmuck  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you are selling stuff people want you can be terse, selling junk requires perhaps a little more work?
Old 6th July 2018, 01:59 PM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, I think that's basic salesmanship.
Old 6th July 2018, 05:06 PM   #9
andy2 is offline andy2  United States
diyAudio Member

It doesn't just happen exclusively in PM. Some people here in discussion threads fall somewhere between trailer camps or kindergarten stuffs.

Member's lack of etiquette in PM'sHide this!Advertise here!