Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Why?
Why?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2018, 07:43 PM   #21
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Why?
PS Scott-

He was also a huge believer in those Sony Trinitrons. And, I have to agree even with the new Sony flat screens. Their technology just seems to feel more like real life, while others seem..... the best way I can describe it is ďalienĒ or ďsoullessĒ like itís the invasion of the body snatchers happening in frame.

Iím not really a big brand loyalist, and not only advocating Sony obviously, but Iíve noticed specifically that their products have a much different method which I perceive as more lifelike. Iím curious if you could chime in as to why you think itís so different from other manufacturers.

Also, I donít believe itís just settings. I went into a video forum and went ham on adjusting and fine tuning two other different (and well reviewed) models from other manufacturers before returning them and going with the Sony. I think itís my all time record for a store return saga of any kind.

Maybe those who donít see what I see have already been ďbody snatchedĒ and itís just downhill from here ;-)
Old 9th June 2018, 11:11 PM   #22
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post
Iím not really a big brand loyalist, and not only advocating Sony obviously, but Iíve noticed specifically that their products have a much different method which I perceive as more lifelike. Iím curious if you could chime in as to why you think itís so different from other manufacturers.
For one thing the CEO Akio Morita was directly involved in the quality of the product. When I went to visit SONY in 1988 I was told his personal listener chose the AD712 for their top end CD players. This was nice, neither here nor there today.

As for the TV's I think they used more expensive rare earth phosphors that gave a more naturalistic image. I have made this comment for over 40yrs. to numerous people mostly to deaf ears (blind eyes?). A still of a Japanese garden, for instance, could be rendered just right or maybe just so much better to my eyes than on any other monitor with any amount of adjustment. There was an established reference monitor made by Conrac which I never saw but it was $$$.

I find it ironic that folks here go on and on about preserving what the recording engineer wanted to present, but with video that all goes out the window. There is a lot of stuff on the web from professionals in the film industry and film lovers, even going over 24fps is considered a compromise.
Old 10th June 2018, 08:15 AM   #23
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
The proposal was to coat 2" tape with DVDR material and run it at insane inches per second past a special laser scanner, frankly the whole thing seemed pie in the sky to me.

Sounds like the tape recorder from the Sci-Fi movie Brainstorm to me. If that is the case then I say, bring it on!

I must say it is a strange experience seeing Louise Fletcher pulling back on a smoke.

We really need an extremely high bandwidth storage medium right now.

Last edited by VenusFly; 10th June 2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10th June 2018, 09:36 AM   #24
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A lady I know called Lucy transcribes 405 line TV for the BBC. She also works with more modern formats. To her the very best colour she ever saw was 1966( ish ) was NTSC tapes on NTSC monitors which were then converted to PAL. She thought the converted transmission a pale imitation. I though I had some NOS Sony 405 gear for her, alas no as someone had dumped it. I suspect is was from 1964. The machines looked like the latter 625 line machines. I seem to remember the spool had to be swapped to rewind it, most likely that's wrong.

I recently found a VHS machine for a friend. Having nothing better than Vodka I cleaned the heads ( toilet paper, sound only before cleaning took a risk as toilet paper can ruin the head , Sony used chamois on like a lolly stick ). Not only did it work but the Sony HD TV loved it. Whilst not to a high standard it was very enjoyable and the best VHS I have seen. Perhaps Bravia is part of that? Fireball XL5 being a favorite.
Old 10th June 2018, 09:43 AM   #25
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Why?
By the way LTO-12 is expected to reach 200TB capacity by the time LTO-12 comes around.

LTO Consortium Pushes Roadmap To Gen 12 - IT Jungle

Also compatability between LTO-8 drives and LTO-6 tapes is broken.
Quote:
But how do I know that LTO-9 will read LTO-7?

The two generations of backward compatibility was broken for LTO-8 because LTO-8 drives relies entirely on Barium Ferrite tape media. Since LTO-6 supported both magnetic particle and Barium Ferrite, the compatibility issues has arisen. This is not a likely scenario for LTO-9.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 087-diyaudio.jpg (68.1 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by VenusFly; 10th June 2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11th June 2018, 12:06 AM   #26
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusFly View Post
We really need an extremely high bandwidth storage medium right now.

Already exists if you have the $$
Old 11th June 2018, 01:47 AM   #27
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I always thought Beta had a better picture than VHS. It was a sad day when VHS displaced Sony Beta and Beta-max. Sony technology was great, marketing was not a strong point of Sony (keep it all for ourselves).
Old 11th June 2018, 01:58 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
I always thought Beta had a better picture than VHS. It was a sad day when VHS displaced Sony Beta and Beta-max. Sony technology was great, marketing was not a strong point of Sony (keep it all for ourselves).
People flocked to the 6hr VHS tapes, SONY did not get that the vast majority of the market did not care about quality. BTW the Panasonic NV series of VHS at slow speed was pretty good, pre-recorded tapes done at 1x on rooms full of NV7200's looked better than the Beta equivalents since IIRC no one released movies on the lowest Beta speed which used at least 2 tapes for any movie. By the time hi-speed duping became the norm I was less interested.
Old 11th June 2018, 02:21 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Why?

Says it all...

Quote:
UbuWeb is pleased to present thousands of avant-garde films & videos for your viewing pleasure. However, it is important to us that you realize that what you will see is in no way comparable to the experience of seeing these gems as they were intended to be seen: in a dark room, on a large screen, with a good sound system and, most importantly, with a roomful of warm, like-minded bodies.

However, we realize that the real thing isn't very easy to get to. Most of us don't live anywhere near theatres that show this kind of fare and very few of us can afford the hefty rental fees, not to mention the cumbersome equipment, to show these films. Thankfully, there is the internet which allows you to get a whiff of these films regardless of your geographical location.

We realize that the films we are presenting are of poor quality. It's not a bad thing; in fact, the best thing that can happen is that seeing a crummy shockwave file will make you want to make a trip to New York to the Anthology Film Archives or the Lux Cinema in London (or other places around the world showing similar fare). Next best case scenario will be that you will be enticed to purchase a high quality DVD from the noble folks trying to get these works out into the world. Believe me, they're not doing it for the money.
Old 11th June 2018, 02:29 AM   #30
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Says it all...
Our university built a special theater with full facilities for historical cinema.
About | Cinematheque

Why?Hide this!Advertise here!