Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Why?
Why?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2018, 08:41 AM   #231
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I run Linux, XP and 10, My least favourite is 10, 7 was OK. The XP has just been given a new hard-drive and had it's files cloned. It was a minute to midnight as that one was grinning through it's bearings. I do keep back up files, all the same. Linux is this laptop. For some reason only Linux will run now, A silicon fault. 10 runs as many old things as I can via emulators.XP is not secure as it's greater downside. I always use my laptop with a mouse.
Old 15th July 2018, 06:36 PM   #232
stratus46 is offline stratus46  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusFly View Post
I wouldn't read that far deeply into a post made by radiosmuck. He's just taking a stab at someone interested in farting around with old tape gear.

But yeah he is completely wrong and hasn't got a clue just how wrong he is.

If for example you archive a high bandwidth analog video format such as Laserdisc onto DVD and MPEG2 you are then throwing away a huge chunk of data that will come back to bite you in the **** again later on if you ever decide to play back that DVD on a suitable monitor that can show you what is missing from the DVD which was present in the original. MPEG2 is restricted by
<snip>
The depth and breadth of your misunderstanding is breathtaking.

G
Old 16th July 2018, 09:46 AM   #233
diyAudio Member

Penicillin and VHS have a lot in common. A simple idea that is not simple to produce, need and a ready market pushed progress. A VHS machine possibly is as complex in tollerences as key parts of an aircraft. When Beta I knew these off by heart, alas not now. I seem to remember head concentricity was 1 micron which I take to be imperial ( I have no idea what that meant exactly, the boss was rather careful not to allow my little fingers inside ). That's just silly for a domestic machine and yet had to be right. If not the MHz of bandwidth were reduced. That's the point I made before. If a Beta went off tune the VHS was no worse. My feeling is Beta was more fussy. As far as I know the way a Beta was set up was a Sony test tape. My best guess is the lock nut on the head was loosened and a tool inserted to midly position the head whilst working. I know it could go off soon after setting and required hours of resetting until it settled. I was told firmly to keep out. Ironically if the boss wasn't there it fell to me to do something. I limited myself to very careful head and pinch wheel cleaning. Sony always talked about denatured alcohol, we used Iso. He was an odd man. He would be pleased we fixed it, like not wanting to think about his daughter on a date he didn't want to know the rest. They were his babies. Most of this was the time before VHS and domestic sales. Beta was a U-matic at a knock down price at that time.

I remember one day we did a filming session of some of the less well known food producers. It was top grade equipement. Unfortunately there was a rolling bar on the picture. Thinking it through I said to the people I thought we had an interaction with the lighting of the venue. It was fine with them and we were paid as it was their conference skills they were polishing up rather than being peacocks. The boss remained stone faced throughout. On returning he said it was a fault in the camera he thought had self cured itself (!?!). His son said afterwards, the old b-----d should have said thank you. I also had shown my conference skills. I honestly thought it was that. I always liked him for that, Mr T of the USA reminds me of him.

On that filming session I learnt a lot. It was about people not use to public speaking doing their best. The old boy coaching them seemed totally wrong, like someone they picked up at the pub. However as time passed the guys got better and better. I can only guess his less than dramatic personality made them feel dynamic. At the same time he was time served and an expert. The first guy I rememeber who did well was from a company called Moo Cow ( not quite ) and they did dairy products. They filled the gaps in the market. The real teaching was to say that simple thing in a relaxed way. Most important was to be proud of what they did. As small as this collective was it would be a multi million pound industry.
Old 16th July 2018, 01:29 PM   #234
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Why?
Some Beta machines needed the use of an eccentricity gauge when fitting a replacement head disc. The gauge screwed onto the stationary part of the drum assembly. The disc had to be torqued down evenly and not over tightened.

This eccentricity requirement was removed in later models where the disc was a precision machined fit with no adjustment needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (33.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 16th July 2018, 03:15 PM   #235
diyAudio Member

That rings bells with me.

Why?Hide this!Advertise here!