WaltJung archives shutting down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jung was a pioneer in audio op amp applications. Op amps were originally intended for use in computer circuits. My first electronics tutor scoffed when I started using op amps in audio circuits. Of course, he thought that midranges had to be oval too. :D

Without Jung, I wouldn't be doing what I do today. He is my number one mentor in electronics.

Luckily, I have some of his books in my library. By books, I mean actual physical books; not e-books.

His circuits may seem ordinary today, but remember he was the first one to design a lot of the circuits we take for granted today.

My buddy recently donated a bunch of old books to his local library. Included in his collection was the "Cookbook" and "IC Op-Amps for Audio Applications." He said they probably just threw them out. I pointed out that I still build circuits out of those books. He thought they were obsolete, but I pointed out that only the devices discussed are long obsolete. I build variants of those circuits, mostly with OPA2134 and NE5532 (they're not all the same ;)) and they're better than most commercial applications.

I recently built a version of Jung's state variable filter for an underground DJ. He showed me a video of a late great DJ (Frankie from New York I think) and asked me how he did a certain effect. He had tried many times with tone controls and could not reproduce it. So I built a simple version from spare parts (leftovers from prototypes), changed a couple values, put it in a small server chassis I pulled from the dumpster, and he loves it.

Last edited:
This posting is *NOT* approved by Walt Jung!

:cop: Link in quote removed

I strongly suggest that this directory of resources copied (purloined is more accurate) from my website be removed, immediately. For numerous reasons:

1) I was asked by the poster about doing this, but I never gave any OK. So much for common courtesy, I guess. It is as if I had no say in the matter.

2) Further, not all of the PDFs on my site are mine, there are many guest items. To repost them without any renewal of authority is simply not OK.

I call on cooler and more reasonable heads to prevail here.

Walt Jung

Last edited by a moderator:
"this is a resource we are sad to lose"

To billshurv; here's what I sent out to website supporters on June 06, 2018 10:58 AM:

Hello to all of you folks who have supported WaltJung.org over the years. As is now evident from the website's "Whatsnew" note of yesterday, the end of the present web hosting is coming in mid-July.

In preparation for the closing of WaltJung.org, I am now using a new email address, as noted above (and below).

I am also attempting to archive the more recent (and important) content from WaltJung.org as standalone PDFs. The CFA thread of 2017 falls into this category.

It is not yet ironed out just how the PDF content can or will be accessible. I do have all the PDFs archived offline, but the question is more one of exactly how they should be accessible going forward.

Thanks to everyone for your support over time.

See this 6/8/2018 addendum to the shutdown posting:

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Walt,
I am hopeful your information remains accessible. I've learned so much from you over the years and basically learned all my early knowledge on op amps and timers from you via your books.

In case you never hear enough thanks - thank you!

-Chris

Hi Walt,
I am hopeful your information remains accessible. I've learned so much from you over the years and basically learned all my early knowledge on op amps and timers from you via your books.

In case you never hear enough thanks - thank you!

-Chris

Thanks Chris. It is good to hear a voice of sanity, and thanks for the compliment.

All the info is accessible right now, from my website, as I have said a couple of times.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is probably no one in the diy community who has not been helped directly (or indirectly by someone who has been directly) by one of your articles Walt. Whether they be on your blog, in a magazine, or one of your many app-notes, or (I'm guessing here), anonymous datasheet contributions.

Another heartfelt thanks from me :)

Tony.

I want to thank Mr. Jung too, for his books. I've been reading your books and building your circuits since I was in high school. I would have never reached the level of proficiency I have without your books. They provide information far more in depth and far more practical than anything I have ever learned in school. And the information is so well presented and easy to understand.

I have virtually memorized a couple of your books. And that's mighty handy now, since I'm visually impaired.

I had a big leg up when I went to college, thanks to you.

I appreciate your work as much as anyone Walt but the horse is out of the barn: Wayback Machine

526 URLs have been captured for this domain

How can I have my site's pages excluded from the Wayback Machine?

You can send an email request for us to review to info@archive.org with the URL (web address) in the text of your message.

Good luck.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, people only resort to the Wayback machine once the real site is gone. It would be a shame to kill that one off. It's like a safety really. If a web site was ever damaged, the Wayback Machine would be the only way to rescue the material.

-Chris

From the guy who allegedly "purloined" your material...

Walt - If its a question of you not wanting to bear the cost of hosting your content but do want the control of hosting it you should consider accepting donations as you have with the eBooks. I think my last donation was more than the modest sum you were asking and I'd gladly start the ball rolling by making the first contribution.

But you have to agree to do it.

I've already archived your material locally on my hard drive. I received no benefit from sharing it. The benefit went to others. My pulling the content down at your request was no loss to me - once your content disappears the loss is to the community.

My advice is to focus your energy on finishing the First Edition "Op Amp Cookbook" eBook. People will pay you for that.

Your short-form articles have tremendous technical benefit but I don't see a way to monetize them other than offsetting their hosting cost via donation.

In the meantime, in order to continue the site, can we just send you money?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.