Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

How to persuade people on the Internet
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2018, 12:16 AM   #51
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Coca Cola:

Effie Ranking: The Coca-Cola Company World’s Most Effective Marketer; Brand Coke Leads Global Effectiveness Index: The Coca-Cola Company

Effie Effectiveness Index

Analysing the impact of advertising in... (PDF Download Available)
Old 18th May 2018, 12:55 AM   #52
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpauk View Post
I don't agree... Where is the proven causal connection between coca cola's advertising bugdet and net revenues? Plenty of people advertise on google, but I don't think there is any good, reliable, causal evidence. Advertisers hope there is.... And in some cases dare not stop, just in case. That's fine but it proves nothing.
I provided information above. As you stated above regarding principles in audio, this is a scenario of not having the basics covered.

We don’t have to agree, but I suggest you take the time to review further information on the subject. You might surprise yourself.

Its unbecoming to make general conjectures without supporting data that the efforts of a huge population of people, many of whom have scientific backgrounds with advanced degrees, is adrift in some kind of alternate reality devoid of the same kind of critical thinking skills hard scientists and engineers hold so dear.

Especially so by scientists and engineers who expect the same courtesy when it’s within their sphere of expertise.

Quote:
that's not advertising in the same sense, as the target doesn't have to pay for anything. But it also would violate the site rules to go any further....

“Advertising is an audio or visual form of marketing communication that employs an openly sponsored, non-personal message to promote or sell a product, service or idea.”

Advertising’s goal is to benefit the advertiser. It can be monetarily beneficial to the advertiser and have no connection to a good or service consumed by the advertising target.
Old 18th May 2018, 12:58 AM   #53
martyh is offline martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

You can’t persuade people on the internet because there are few “people” on the internet. It is populated for the most part by egos and that makes it the perfect place for advertising.
Old 18th May 2018, 01:53 AM   #54
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't agree... Where is the proven causal connection between coca cola's advertising bugdet and net revenues?
Oh, Advertising works, big time.
That´s why it moves billions of $$$ (if not trillions).

I have proven it myself, for my own benefit.

I make custom Guitar amplifiers for Rock Musicians.
I have seen dozens or even a hundred brands and "boutique makers" appear, have "15 minutes fame" and disappear in the darkness.
Many making very good products, mind you.

I have been steadily making and selling them since 1969, standing through 9 (nine) Economic Crisis (think USA 2008 and worse) , sometimes faster, sometimes slower, but never stopping.
Fighting cheap Dollar , cheap Imports, open door no tariff Customs, etc.

So much so that AES invited me to give a conference on "How to stand the cutthroat Asian Competition while still Manufacturing in Argentina" .
Oh, they chose a more polite name for it, to avoid irratating powerful Importers, so it was called "Challenges of Hardware Manufacturing in Argentina" but everybody knew what it was about ... specially those who already knew me
Click the image to open in full size.

But *always* advertising.

We are currently in the middle of a Crisis/Depression, everybody is depressed, practically stopping manufacturing, developing new products, or firing personnel, NOT ADVERTISING "because it´s a waste of time, nobody sells anything".

I participated in last December with a stand in our annual "NAMM equivalent" Musical Industry Fair, again in April in the Buenos Aires AES Convention showing new products,

currently launching 2 new high end Heavy Metal models for Guitar and Bass,

publishing Ads in Guitar magazines, plus stretching Facebook as much as possible without being banned: got 29000 likes in 4 months (currently surpassed 30000) .

Am I selling now? .... very little, nobody has a cent and all overdrafted their Credit Cards.

Will I sell like a pig in 6 Months, 1 year or two? .... YOU BET.

So, to the question: does Advertising work? .... the answer is a resounding YES!!!!

That said, you have to do it the right way; it took me Years and lots of wasted or at least poorly used $$$$ to find what works and what does not, what to say, how to mintain credibility (VERY important or it backfires) , which Months of the year are productive and which are dead no matter what, biggest bang for the buck, etc.

I said IT WORKS, never said it´s "easy".

Or FORGET all I wrote above and just think:
" Does it seem that Coca Cola NEEDS advertising?"
By sheer Logic and plain observation: NO.

"Do they anyway spend hundreds of Millions in Advertising?"
See for yourself.

"Are they fools?" .... very much doubt so.

Question answered

Last edited by JMFahey; 18th May 2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 18th May 2018, 01:58 AM   #55
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

every conversation involves somebody selling and somebody buying, you just gotta know which side of the transaction you are on
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 18th May 2018, 03:07 AM   #56
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As someone who's business it is to sit thru sales and marketing meetings (1000s of them), it's sure that major corporations believe that online ads work. Why do they believe that, is it just wishful thinking? To some extent it is just trendy, but the analytics are so powerful now that precisely tracking results is easy. It's "granular" as they like to say these days.

Online ads have tools to track what's going on so that you can immediately tell the effect of changing a single word, color or image. The analytics are amazing. And conversion rates per dollar can be quite high. It's good value for money.

How to persuade people on the InternetHide this!Advertise here!