Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What Time Do You Wear???
What Time Do You Wear???
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2018, 04:55 AM   #11
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got some fancy automatics but I cannot stand the fact that in this day and age your watch needs to be reprogrammed on the first of most months to figure out that there were 28 or 30 days instead of 31. So I only wear an radio-atomic-solar watch that you set one time and never have to reset even for daylight savings time. Never needs batteries, can wear swimming in ocean no problem. Not expensive either.

Casio G Shock Avaiation GW2500 Analog Digi...

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by lgreen; 8th May 2018 at 05:24 AM.
Old 8th May 2018, 05:20 AM   #12
osscar is online now osscar  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Nice diver watches you have .
Im also addicted to dive watches...
Today im wearing Deep blue nato 300m pvd.
But also hava some chunky watches: citizen autozilla/ecozilla, seiko skx007, seiko monster, few orient m force and g shocks and some other divers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180508_081222-1024x768.jpg (125.2 KB, 121 views)
My DIY so far: two Leach amps, Pass AB100, Pass F5, B1 buffer, Hiraga le monstre, two LM3875, LM1875, OPA549, 6C33C SE, GU32 PP, 6p3c-e PP, Marsh headphone amp.Phono - OBH-8se, Pacific RIAA, inDiscreet Phono, Whammy headphone amp.
Old 8th May 2018, 05:41 AM   #13
famousmockingbird is offline famousmockingbird  United States
diyAudio Member

I too am in the no watch club. I can't stand anything around my wrist.

But you do have a nice collection I can respect.
Old 8th May 2018, 05:58 AM   #14
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

A few vintage divers and chronos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8269.jpg (392.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 8th May 2018, 12:07 PM   #15
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hate all watches...but I am 100% in agreement...I too am in the no watch club. I can't stand anything around my wrist.
I have never worn a watch, or jewelry of any kind. I had watches as a kid since parents or relatives tend to give you one for birthdays or Christmas instead of something you really want like electronics parts. Those watches never lasted more than a few months before they broke. I seem to be tough on things like watches and bicycles.........

Even as a kid my ADHD / OCD brain didn't require any external timepiece. All through life I never owned an alarm clock, but always got where I needed to be on time, with rare exceptions (illness). As stated, today's phones make them redundant, and therefore unnecessary. The OCD engineer in me tends to eliminate things that perform an unnecessary (jewelry) or redundant (watch) functions. That's probably why I also tend to eliminate unnecessary clothing when it's not essential (shoes, socks, shirts....).

Quote:
I have some nice watches but this is all I wear now.
I did however succumb to the Fitbit craze when a credit card company decided to eliminate their rewards program after I had amassed over 100,000 points. I got my wife one of the small ones, and got myself a Surge with GPS, then shredded the credit card. It still bugs me after three years so I do not wear it all the time and I switch wrists often. I also wear it on the inside of my wrist to reduce the risk of impact damage.

I had to have the Surge replaced under warantee twice because the band fell apart. They didn't ask for the second one back, so I got a band from China and fixed it. The battery died after about a year, so I replaced that too. That unit eventually died so I activated the second replacement. I have already replaced it's band, and decided that I will not buy a new one of these things when this unit dies. It already needs another band. Amazon has them now.

I find that the GPS logging function is useful for OCR (Obstacle Course Racing) events like the Tough Mudder, since I can review the race after the fact by downloading the data and plotting out my track with times, altitude, and HR data on a map. It's also good for hiking to determine where you actually went, and how much your elevation changed over the course, trail, or random wander through the hills.

A phone would never survive a Tough Mudder, but it can do the same functions for hiking, and puts the map in your hand when you get lost, hence the Fitbit becoming redundant as I grow too old for serious OCR.

Last edited by Tubelab_com; 8th May 2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 8th May 2018, 01:31 PM   #16
wayne is offline wayne  United States
Auburn
diyAudio Member

What Time Do You Wear???
Here is a appropriate watch for audio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0DC158DC-E7FF-4978-A50F-C8EE686CF6D8.jpg (428.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 8th May 2018, 08:28 PM   #17
leadbelly is online now leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
I find that the GPS logging function is useful for OCR (Obstacle Course Racing) events like the Tough Mudder, since I can review the race after the fact by downloading the data and plotting out my track with times, altitude, and HR data on a map. It's also good for hiking to determine where you actually went, and how much your elevation changed over the course, trail, or random wander through the hills.

A phone would never survive a Tough Mudder, but it can do the same functions for hiking, and puts the map in your hand when you get lost, hence the Fitbit becoming redundant as I grow too old for serious OCR.
I went with the Charge 2 as I had a friend who recommended it. I just took an educated guess that I would appreciate the longer battery life and smaller size over built-in GPS.

Phones are indeed taking over. So many tracking apps to choose from. Even our provincial government is publishing free trail maps as georeferenced PDF.
Prove all things 1 Thessalonians 5:21
Old 8th May 2018, 08:40 PM   #18
soundchaser001 is offline soundchaser001  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have a Casio "Tough Solar" titanium watch with a sapphire crystal; it weighs next to nothing, it's solar powered and accepts updates by radio from WWV (US) and other systems in Europe, Japan, China etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0342.jpg (666.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 8th May 2018, 11:38 PM   #19
kevinahcc20 is offline kevinahcc20  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't worn a watch for at least 20 years, with a cell phone in my pocket I didn't see any reason to have a handcuff on my wrist. Then I retired 9 years ago and now most days I don't care what time it is...when I do the cell phone still works fine.
Old 9th May 2018, 02:02 AM   #20
Johnny2Bad is offline Johnny2Bad  Canada
diyAudio Member

The daily is an Orient Blue Makko (mechanical, automatic wind, dive rated), stainless expansion bracelet.

Orient made all of Seiko's mechanical watches under contract, a few years ago Seiko bought them and they still do their mechanicals, plus still selling under the Orient brand (very popular in Japan).

Have another Orient, a Seiko (the one that looks like a Rolex Oyster) that was a retirement engraved watch given my father, and a Tag-Hauer. I also have a Gold case Hamilton RR watch, a pretty fancy model (I've never seen one at auction with all the features this one has). Made about 1910.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orient Blue Makko No1.jpg (120.2 KB, 39 views)
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 9th May 2018 at 02:21 AM.

What Time Do You Wear???Hide this!Advertise here!