What Time Do You Wear???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A Krell watch, that's kool! :cool:

Long before smart phones, I wore a Timex Indiglo. It was the theater technician's favorite watch because the face would light up. We tend to work in the dark and need to know what time it is. :) The Indiglo was a handy bit of '80s tech.

Helson Shark diver brass.
great watch for the money, after diy regulating it gains on average 2.7s per day.
I started wearing a watch 10 years ago when I started working in the offshore industry. Cell phones are not so popular inside ATEX areas. Now I feel naked without a watch on my wrist.

Attachments

• DSC_0548.JPG
    DSC_0548.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 97
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I haven't worn a watch for at least 20 years, with a cell phone in my pocket I didn't see any reason to have a handcuff on my wrist.

Wait wait wait. Let me offer you an alternative view of what you've done.

You replaced a watch with another handcuff, not the other way around. A watch just tells you the time, you can do what you want with that time. A smartphone isn't as clean cut, someone else can take control of that device and they can tell you to come to a place with the simple act of sending you an sms or calling you on the phone. Or you can go to a place with the use of a phone.

The clock and watches have forced us to go to work at specific times.
The cellphone has added not only time to that but also:
Your attention needed for on the spot decision making skills.
Your attention needed to socialize with other people, could be your boss, your boss is now everywhere and capable of not only knowing where you are but also talking to you immediately.
Your much needed driving skills are impaired, your safety is compromised.

And as for "handcuff" the cell network knows where you are at all times with a cellphone. A watch doesn't necessarily do that, it just tells you the time which you can either view as being imprisoning or freeing.

That is how I saw/justified to myself putting a watch back on my wrist, it means I don't have to have a smartphone near me at all times chirping to the nearest cell tower just to tell the time.

Last edited:
You replaced a watch with another handcuff, not the other way around. A watch just tells you the time, you can do what you want with that time. A smartphone isn't as clean cut, someone else can take control of that device and they can tell you to come to a place with the simple act of sending you an sms or calling you on the phone. Or you can go to a place with the use of a phone.

The clock and watches have forced us to go to work at specific times.
The cellphone has added not only time to that but also:
Your attention needed for on the spot decision making skills.
Your attention needed to socialize with other people, could be your boss, your boss is now everywhere and capable of not only knowing where you are but also talking to you immediately.
Your much needed driving skills are impaired, your safety is compromised.
Wait, wait, wait...go back and read the part where I'm long retired and most of that BS and most often what time it is is of no concern to me

Joined 2000
Paid Member
People who like audio gear usually also like cars, photography and watches.
So I'm not surprised by this thread. It's a gadget like anything else.

I have a bunch of Swiss Army Victorinox, esq, Hamilton, Stuerling Original and even a vintage Swatch from 1984.

I like both digital and analog audio, but only analog watches. :)

People who like audio gear usually also like cars, photography and watches.

Three out of four ain't bad.

I'm long retired and most of that BS and most often what time it is is of no concern to me

+++1000!

Too many people ALLOW their cell phone to be their leash and primary attention source......and I used to be a cell phone designer at Motorola, so I helped create this monster.

Even before retirement I kept a Nextel walkie talkie phone in my pocket (one of my designs). I used it for a watch, a two way radio (SMS: "this meeting sucks, send me a urgent call alert so I can escape", two way radio response: "factory shutdown?, I'll be right there", I exit the meeting), and sometimes, a phone. Phone calls averaged 1 to 2 a day ("is it pizza time yet?").

Now I get maybe 5 text messages a day, almost all garbage phone spam, 1 or 2 phone calls, about half from robo dialers, and I will consume 1 or 2 GB of data per month mostly watching YouTube videos while waiting for someone (wife or grandkids).

We just got back from a family vacation in the outer banks of North Carolina. My wife's extended family had rented a huge 7 bedroom house on the ocean for a week, truly a once in a lifetime event. This was an opportunity to do lots of things that you could not do at home, and would likely never do again.

I received maybe 2 or 3 phone calls a day, mostly my wife wondering where I had wandered off to. The oldest grandkid (age 12) spent most of the time in his room playing video games, despite my urging him to get off his ***.

I once went into his room and demanded that he put down the game device (my old Samsung phone). He whined, so I picked him up forced the phone out of his hand and threw him into the pool......he whined about it for the rest of the day, but did seem to enjoy an hour or so in the pool.......what have we (the phone makers) created? A generation of slaves? What would these people do if the network went down for a week or so.......serious withdrawal symptoms would sweep the world.

I did drag along a portable PC with a DAW, a music synthesizer and keyboard, 3 cameras, two tripods, and a 1TB SSD to store the pictures. I took about 33,000 still frame images which will be assembled into time lapse videos for my YouTube channel. None of the images could have been made at home.

I've got some fancy automatics but I cannot stand the fact that in this day and age your watch needs to be reprogrammed on the first of most months to figure out that there were 28 or 30 days instead of 31.

If you'd spend more or more likely a LOT more you could buy a swiss mechanical watch with a calendar that is preprogrammed for 50 years.
When the 50 years are over you need to send it in to the factory who will reprogram it for another 50 years.

Personally I do not wear a watch and haven't for about 20 years but I always fancied a Chopard Mille Miglia.

it is illegal for your boss to call or email you outside of your working hours.

I refused a company provided (with paid service) cell phone or company laptop for that reason. Engineers at the pay grade above mine were expected to carry a company phone and participate in global staff meetings at least once a week.

For the last 12 years of my career I worked in a technology research group that had 4 operations canters, one in Chicago, one in Florida, one in Israel, and one in Malaysia.

Israel and Malaysia refused to talk to each other, so our people had to be middle men. Conference calls with Israel happened on our working hours, but calls to Malaysia happened at 9 or 10 PM and often lasted for 1 to 3 hours. I refused promotion into that pay grade for all 12 years, why?

After discussion with one of the engineers trying to climb the corporate ladder, I figured that I actually made more money than him on a $$$ / hour basis even though his salary was $25K higher........

The only calls I got from my boss on my personal cell phone involved cars, guns, or audio amps. I switched off all Motorola thoughts when I walked out the door, usually about 6 PM.

I refused a company provided (with paid service) cell phone or company laptop for that reason.

Tubelab we must be brothers from another mother...for my last 10 years at GM my boss kept pushing me to get a company cell phone. I just never got around to filling out the paperwork! On a company phone you are expected to answer it 24-7, he had my personal cell number as did my colleagues but they would only call on important matters since this was well before unlimited calling plans.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You replaced a watch with another handcuff, not the other way around.
I disagree with this. Before the mobile phone I mostly carried a pocket watch - because I didn't want to be always glancing at the time. Need to know the time? Pull out the watch. The phone is the same. It stays in my pocket unless I need to know the time. It's a big, expensive, accurate and fragile pocket watch. And it has maps. :)

The story was different from 1975 to 1984. At that time I was a support technician for the entire Motorola factory on the 4 PM to 1 AM shift. I had a pager since cell phones were not yet invented and a HT-220 walkie talkie (we made those in house). The factory bosses also had my home phone number. I was hourly paid (about $5 / Hr) while on my shift. There was a third shift starting at 1 AM , but there was no support technician since that shift was not fully staffed and there were empty work stations.....except for two Bigfoots.

Bigfoot was the code name for a first generation Automated Test Equipment station co-developed by Motorola and Hewlett Packard. It ran a HP basic on a HP9816 computer and crashed often. It performed a final quality test on every MX-300 walkie talkie made and provided a little printout of the actual measured performance on the customer frequencies. The printout was included in the product box.

The factory personnel were not allowed to touch Bigfoot other than to shove a radio into its mouth and push the button. When it crashed, I was the first one called since I lived closest to the plant. So at least once a week, often more I would get a phone call, and drive over to the plant to reboot or restart Bigfoot. Most people would say "that sucks" but I welcomed those calls, and even prearranged a few. Why? I got 4 hours pay minimum any time I was called into the plant outside of my normal work hours. Nice boost to the paycheck. Total time from bedroom to factory, restart Bigfoot, back to bed was usually under and hour.

In 1984 I convinced a boss in engineering to make me an engineer, and I left the hourly paid factory life. This was partly due to the neat stuff I built during my spare time when the factory ran smoothly, but mostly because of my "Camaro" belt buckle, but that's a different story.

I wear a stainless steel Rolex that I bought new in 1971 for right around $300 when it was on sale, something they never are anymore. Had it rebuilt about three years age with a new main spring. It was working but the crown had some off and they insisted on a total rebuild because of it's age. When purchased the dealer told me I'd never be sorry I bought a Rolex, and I'm not after 47 years.

I also have a cheap Chinese Bill Clinton watch that is built to run backwards. Very appropriate for the great stain maker!
Oh yea, I also have a Björk watch just for collecting.

Attachments

• Rolex.JPG
    Rolex.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 93
  • watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Bjork.JPG
    Bjork.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I received a Zodiac Sea Wolf for graduation. It lasted about 10 years before having problems keeping time.

I wish I still had it, I'd send it back tothe factory to get it rebuilt.

I find I keep time fine +/- 5 min throughout the day without a watch. With a watch most people do not know what time it is, they are looking to see how long until an event.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.