If you had $50,000 and had to spend it on speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Really, design is the big thing (IMO). I should already know what to expect from speakers before I start building. The design process is long and hard, so is the building process. Put a number on the time and labour and tools, and who knows how high it will be but I'm a DIYer.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No, that's not it at all.

You don't seem to understand your own question as you equate money to value. They are not a linear relationship.

I have heard many speakers and many systems in my years in the hobby. Megabuck stuff, entry level, and much in between. I have never heard better than the 2 different systems that have had Linkwitz LX521 speakers in them. They are, unquestionably, the best speakers I've ever heard.

So what exactly do I need to do with the other $46,000 I need to spend on speakers in your thought process? I'll gladly make solid gold feet if the money must be spent.

50K and I *have to* spend it on speakers? No idea what I would buy, but chances are there'd be money left over that I would just say goodbye to. Maybe something expensive in the minimonitor category, some good stands, probably two very good powered subwoofers. I think I would have a hard time using up more than $20K under those criteria. Oh, wait! Lunatic Fringe cables, I only need five feet a side. Maybe $30K then. Not that I feel the need for such wire, but when it's "free money" I wouldn't mind putting somebody's kids thru college.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.