Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Why Audiophiles Hate Bose
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #191
tsmith1315 is online now tsmith1315  United States
diyAudio Member

Bose auto systems were first used in top-end GM cars starting with ~'84 Corvettes- and... Sevilles...? IIRC, -don't quote me on that. Other GM's, Nissan and Infiniti followed shortly after. 80's-90's Bose autosound typically used 4 full range speakers, either 4-4", or 2-4" and 2-6x9's, using ˝Ω-1Ω impedance to make the most of 12V battery power without SMPS. Each speaker had it's own amplifier with EQ tailored to that location in the car. 300ZX's had a 2" or so center channel speaker in a DIN-sized enclosure mounted in-dash under the head unit.

None of the Delco-Bose were remarkable, I preferred the standard Delco systems in the big GM 4-doors. Thinking back, the Maxima and Q45 Bose systems were probably the best sounding factory systems in those days, along with Lexus/Nak.

I had a 2005 Armada and have a 2011 Altima 3.5 SR with Bose systems, multi-speaker with some combinations of sub/full range/tweeter/center and outboard amps. The Armada was not bad, I don't care for the Altima's setup at all, it's more annoying than entertaining.
Old Today, 12:36 AM   #192
jfetter is offline jfetter  Costa Rica
diyAudio Member

My 2004 Tahoe had a Bose system.
It was ok but my 2016 f150 4x4 has a super 'windows embedded' sound system.
It sounds great and handles 256GB usb thumb drive with 24,000 320kbit mp3.
I've tested it with ntfs and exfat.
Display response is slow when doing search etc but sounds great.

Texas Edition but I think it's the audio system is basic oem.
It does sound good.

I have the cd's at Suburb home and mp3 library on a legacy MacBook using bluetooth at hideout.
Also have some buried copies of music and books different locations.
Old Today, 06:38 PM   #193
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Chris, I am guessing you are limited in your listening of Ford products. I have a very nice system in the Edge but the Escape sounds more like a Bose travesty. Similar with the Ranger and Taurus I had. Mind you everything was awful back then. You had to go aftermarket.
Yes, the Ranger in question was one of the last new batch the dealer had in 2009 - a promotional entry level RWD extended cab “Sport” - V6, rubber mats, only creature confession was AC. Factory head unit came with 6 months free Sirius radio, so I waited until that expired to upgrade the head unit, and have long since stopped caring enough to upgrade the stock speakers.
My former employer has long been a charter member of the Ford F series business lease cult - always a Platinum series with towing package for hime and either 250 or 350 with full 4FD /off-road package for the foreman who is a bow and long gun hunter. The infotainment rigs in the current Platinums are quite nice indeed.
Old Today, 06:47 PM   #194
champco is offline champco
diyAudio Member

I like Bose. Good ol classic 901's were on the radar and when i went in to buy the sales guy gave me a button to press. Bose "click" McIntosh "click" Bose "click" McIntosh... Thanks Bose for demonstrating what was missing. I bought the XR5' and listen to them every day since 1979...
Old Today, 07:30 PM   #195
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Calhoun,
No, I've listened to a lot over time. But you would be correct in thinking I haven't bothered in recent times. There didn't see to be any point.

In my Taurus wagon (big P.O.S.), the speakers were on a narrow bracket that placed the speaker away from the hole in the trim panel by about 3/4". It sounded awful and it was the upgraded package for 1992. That car was the worst car I have ever owned or driven, neatly lining up behind other Ford cars I have owned (three). Just a total disaster of a car. The sound was even unbearable on talk radio. Needless to say, an upgrade was in order, so a Nakamichi system went in. That was fantastic, but the car had all kinds of odd electrical problems until the system was removed and the factory shite went back in. I have never owned or driven in any Ford product that I could stand the stereo in.

Now, the GM-Bose was also a poor performer. I also preferred the standard Delco system. They weren't fantastic by any means, but they were good enough to leave installed with just a speaker upgrade. Even the stock speakers weren't horrible compared to Ford's offerings. GM stereos have neat features, like the volume goes up as you drive faster to cover the road noise. Works really well and I forget about it until I drive another brand of car. I just recently bought a Toyota Matrix. The stereo isn't really bad, but I am planning to install the Nakamichi system in that car. Like before, I'll have a professional do the installation. That will make the Matrix a true pleasure to drive. There is even a Polk sub box that will be returned to use driven by a 70 wpc Nakamichi PA-300 II. The other speakers are driven by a Nak PA-350 (35 wpc x 4). That should be more than enough. The Matrix is a 2007 with 250,000 KM, so I'm not bothered by modifying it at all.

-Chris
Old Today, 08:09 PM   #196
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Chris, I am guessing
Hi chrisb, My comment about the Ford system was actually directed at anatech as he has not heard a good one.
Old Today, 09:52 PM   #197
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Calhoun,
I will make an effort to hear a new system.

Why Audiophiles Hate BoseHide this!Advertise here!