Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Heating water for coffee - efficiently.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2018, 10:04 PM   #81
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
it'd be a bit bold to take any assumptions from it.
Just insert the words "may be" into any conclusion and you're covered.

For example I "may be" related to Cal Weldon and its too early to say but 99% of scientists argue that they may someday prove this assumption correct.

But yeah, kind of a dick move to be making any sort of conclusion when I haven't got a full understanding of the article.

Last edited by VenusFly; 27th April 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:08 PM   #82
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yep, agree. Boiling point seems to release more flavor, and not all of it bad.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:17 PM   #83
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusFly View Post
For example I "may be" related to Cal Weldon
I know for sure we are not because if we were related, you wouldn't admit to it.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:24 PM   #84
Ultima Thule is offline Ultima Thule  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hey, it's more economic, think how much less of the expensive premium coffee ground you need, the bean counters insists with a sounding Yay.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:37 PM   #85
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But yeah, kind of a dick move to be making any sort of conclusion when I haven't got a full understanding of the article.
?

I thought you jumped to conclusions and was trying to gently pull you back from that. Certainly didn't mean any sort of snide commentary. If I had access to the full article, I'd be happy to tell you just how large an effect they measured.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:57 PM   #86
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd be happy to tell you just how large an effect they measured.
Lest we forget, Water memory - Wikipedia

Cross my fingers behind my back the pun was not intended.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:16 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
?

I thought you jumped to conclusions and was trying to gently pull you back from that. Certainly didn't mean any sort of snide commentary. If I had access to the full article, I'd be happy to tell you just how large an effect they measured.
Don't worry about it, you were sufficiently polite.

Nope I was just sharing the possibility so that you guys can jump in and prove me wrong

Quote:
So what I'm gathering from that paper is that microwave irradiation of water and hydrogen peroxide causes the chemical reaction of hydrogen peroxide and water to occur far more quickly?
Asking a question.

Quote:
So what you are implying is that water chemically reacts with other chemicals in the water when placed in a microwave oven.
Replying to something that scott wurcer may have been implying as a result of the post about that scientific article. I'm basically asking another question of scott wurcer here so that he can clarify his position. and he did:

Quote:
No I'm saying only that folks are researching what microwaves do to water. I don't have a clue about the chemistry involved.
And this is just me regurgitating what my limited understanding of what the paper's conclusions are:
Quote:
The conclusion from that paper is that the chemical reactions occurring in tap water are sped up in a microwave oven, so the water "oxidizes" or "ages" quicker and actually becomes less viscous, similar to how engine oil loses its viscosity as it ages.

Basically what its saying is that chemical reactions are occurring quicker in the water/hydrogen peroxide mix when exposed to microwave radiation.

If that is occurring in tap water then there may be all sorts of changes in the water chemistry as a result of not only dissolved solids reacting but also dissolved chemicals.

Basically its not only heating (vibrating) the water molecules it is also breaking the bonds between atoms.
Here is where I made the "jump to conclusions":
Quote:
Ah yes but you may have unwittingly stumbled upon a solution as to the reason why microwaved water tastes different than traditionally boiled water using a heating element.
Again that "may" word again. So... Are you implying that a paper detailing any sort of chemical reaction taking place while exposed to microwave radiation does not mean that chemical reactions do not take place in a simple glass filled with tap water?

Or are you implying that chemical reactions may be taking place, but that it is wild of me to conclude that chemical reactions alone could explain why microwave radiation is causing tap water to taste differently from ordinarily boiled water?

My stance is that there may be a chemical reaction taking place in the tap water in the glass in the microwave and that it might explain the difference in taste. In addition to any other reaction taking place in regards to dissolved solids and oxygenation of the water. As a result of reading this article.

I mean, bottom lining it here, if scientists have observed chemical reactions taking place in a glass of water and hydrogen peroxide that is being irradiated by microwave energy then I believe that other chemical reactions could also be taking place in an impure glass of water inside of an ordinary microwave oven.

Bottom lining it even further, I'm saying that an observation of one natural process in one experiment (chemical reactions) could mean that another natural process could be occurring in another experiment, or in this case, a domestic task. ie boiling water. I'm not saying anything other than that.

Last edited by VenusFly; 27th April 2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:47 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
I know for sure we are not because if we were related, you wouldn't admit to it.
That sounds familiar.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:49 PM   #89
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

I take it none of you have tried air filtering your tea. Pour the hot tea slowly from one glass into another from as far away as you can. Three or four passes makes a better sweeter tea.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:50 PM   #90
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Lest we forget, Water memory - Wikipedia
Eau no, who could forget la memoire de l'eau? (You can sometimes see it, if it's a calm day).

Heating water for coffee - efficiently.Hide this!Advertise here!