Heating water for coffee - efficiently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got my parents a 10 cup stainless Bialetti moka pot for their their very - close - together birthdays. Was totally bracing for nearly $100 usd, but found one for less than $50 online. Not what you guys are looking for, but my point is: do shop around.

And, yes, it was a well appreciated gift as their aluminum one was leaking and dripping. They might be switching to induction soon and the stainless filter baskets on moka pots are so much better built.

As nice as it may be, I'm not spending $133 on a coffee pot. I know that drug paraphernalia isn't cheap, but I am. ;)

:):)

Honestly, I'm cheap too.

I do have an rather expensive grinder and espresso machine though.
BTW, a good grinder is key to making coffee, that and good beans.

Right now, I'm using a $30 Aeropress for my morning cup, but I do use a mokka pot sometimes, and a fancy french press other times.
A Clever Coffee Dripper is another relatively cheap way to make a good cup.

Randy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The coffee makers we buy tend to last a long time, the last one lasted 10 years, this one I expect will last about as long equating to $13.30 per year or about 3.5 cents per day. The coffee, water and electricity add up to rather more than this.

It's not necessarily a bad investment to spend a bit more up front for better results and a longer service life. Spend less now, possibly spend it again in a few years.. Worse still if the results are not fully satisfactory.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The coffee makers we buy tend to last a long time....
That's OK, I'll continue to nuke the coffee water.....

FWIW: the microwave oven we bought in 1983 was still working in 2015 when we replaced it for no urgent reason. I've had drip-machines last 5 or 8 years (bypassing timers and safeties as they failed), but not 30+. Even my parents' passive (stove-top) percolators didn't go 8 years between rust-outs. While the 1983 nuke was a budget-buster, this last one was a throw-away price ($70? FULL-size.)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Was your 1983 microwave an Amana Radarrange? One where the door folded down, and had as much chrome as the front of a 1959 Buick? Or were those gone by '83?

Attachments

• radarrange.jpg
    radarrange.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 109
The answer is obvious.

1)Remove the large heatsink from your Class A amp.

2)Insert your coffee pot in its place.

3)One album side later, your 16oz of water is a nice 205 degrees. Nothing wasted.

Of course, Papa would probably take it further with an espresso machine. Use the heating element for the load and call it...

De-Latte

...I'll be running for cover now!

Attachments

• IMG_6244.jpg
    IMG_6244.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 112
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
After many high pressure espresso machines with various spectacular failures I returned to this classic Braun KF47 that is in production for decades. A classic that just works and it brews a good cup. New version has the EU auto switchoff feature after 40 minutes. No special cups, pads, cartridges or anything remotely resembling package selling. Just ground coffee, good paper filters nr. 4 and water. Just 1 switch. Coffee ready in 2 minutes. Minimalism the good way.

It costs only 35 to 40 Euro and always ends up in the higher ranks in coffeemaker tests. It proved to be one of the more energy efficient machines with only short consumption of around 1000 W (resistive heater in brass element). I would not even think of using a microwave oven to heat up water as it is more hassle and actions than this way. BTW all parts can be bought separately so when you break something it can be ordered. Very old fashioned. I broke something of the old one and just decided to buy a new one (I paid 38 Euro shipping included) as it has the auto off feature.

Attachments

• KF47B-black-yd.png
    KF47B-black-yd.png
    282.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Why would you spend hundred bucks if it isn’t necessary ?

A high price is no guarantee for a good cup of coffee. Many even trade in coffee quality for ease of use. This explains the hype of coffee pads, Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Senseo and fully automatic machines. Not that all of those are bad but they all create dependance on a certain system. I just know coffee companies hate it that consumers still can buy the raw material. They would rather see consumers being tightly tied to their proprietary systems.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.