Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Do you believe in Rich Guy audio review who never did any DIYaudio?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2018, 07:14 AM   #31
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Or an absurdly high percentage of recent posts on threads I follow. I am willing to bet I both undersampled posts and used hyperbole.

(Nonetheless, it's still really obnoxious)
Old 16th April 2018, 08:33 AM   #32
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
(Nonetheless, it's still really obnoxious)
Wow, I think you're the one being unpleasant pal, or is that more hyperbole?
Old 16th April 2018, 09:16 AM   #33
multi is offline multi  Australia
diyAudio Member

I remember reading a review of an expensive tube amp in an English magazine. The reviewer wrote that he had left the amp on for a few days to run it in, with out a speaker connected. I think you at least need to know the basics.
Old 16th April 2018, 03:56 PM   #34
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I find links to YouTube obnoxious in general too, but you can always ignore those posts as I do..

Civility is always a good thing..
Old 16th April 2018, 05:05 PM   #35
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Wow, I think you're the one being unpleasant pal, or is that more hyperbole?
Okay, since I don't actually want to be unpleasant, my last post was supposed to be part self-deprecative as to diffuse the situation, but that went over like a lead balloon. That is to say, I'm apologizing for being overly antagonistic.

I'll be clear: making a point/response via a youtube video without actually stating in text your point (versus stating what you want to say AND then adding the video for entertainment and/or reinforcement) is funny/entertaining/clever for the poster and antagonistic for everyone else. It's more or less saying "I'm going to make you sit through 4 minutes of your time to get my one line quip." (in addition to any of us who read on the bus/etc and can't/won't watch videos there) Which, as of late, has been ~15% of your posts, and a number of one word or emoticon posts in addition. Is it unfair to provide some pushback that it's an annoying habit, especially given your prolific post rate?

Exception, of course, is when the context is that you're actually sharing music.

If the goal is to spam, then by all means go ahead, if it's to actually communicate, can you please actually write out your point in addition to whatever witty thing you're trying to send?

Last edited by DPH; 16th April 2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 16th April 2018, 06:33 PM   #36
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Yes, you tube links that just say "you tube" without any idea what they are... should be avoided. Add a brief description to the link perhaps?
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin
Old 16th April 2018, 06:45 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

No problem DPH, you are entitled to your opinion, if I don't like something I ignore it, as kevinkr says.
Old 16th April 2018, 08:55 PM   #38
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I very rarely follow Youtube links. I often don't follow other links, unless I am told why I should. A sentence (or even a phrase) may encourage me. Interestingly, when I do follow links I sometimes find that the linked material says either nothing much at all, or it says roughly the opposite of what the linker thought it says.
Old 16th April 2018, 09:07 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

I'll usually click on the odd one, whole reams of links sometimes get posted and I admit that is off putting and I don't bother going through them. I would never consider a YouTube link without any reference attached to be anything worth getting in a sweat over.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:14 PM   #40
rickmcinnis is offline rickmcinnis  United States
diyAudio Member

I find myself in agreement with gadut.

I would put it this way: reviews written by people who actually know how stuff works make more sense to me than those who obsess over some some detail that was probably a design accident (not that that disqualifies a component) but the few who actually could make something have a more realistic view of what is possible and whether or not they are HEARING what they think they are hearing.

I could care less about restaurants so I do not know what to say other than I would take the opinion of a cook over someone just looking for the latest trendy experience. The cook would be interested in the quality of the ingredients and not as much how an unlikely combination of spices made what was likely substandard ingredients taste. I know I care about where my food comes from and its basic preparation more than someone's brilliant accident of ingredients not usually used together.

I like Arthur Salvatore's style of reviewing (though i do know enough to know his foibles) since he knows the sound he is looking for and will modify a component to get it. Not unlike Mr. Hiraga; not of the same stature but closer than most.

To get all excited about some expensive new box containing ordinary components maybe assembled in some clever way is much akin to the restaurant experience of "breathtaking" "new" (odd) decorating schemes with the food overwhelmed by the cleverness of the preparation and the surroundings.

Most people are too easily fooled by this kind of thing. But then I readily admit that there is nothing wrong with the placebo if it brings you pleasure. It won't last so enjoy it while you can.

Do you believe in Rich Guy audio review who never did any DIYaudio?Hide this!Advertise here!