Bananas for tinitus!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
To be specific they said bananas helped prevent hearing loss, zinc was for tinnitus.

Edit:
Nutrition and hearing
Potassium levels decrease with age and contribute to hearing loss
Zinc deficiency is linked to tinnitus and sensorineural hearing loss
Magnesium helps protect ears against noise-induced hearing loss
Increasing consumption of fish and Omega-3 fatty acides could help preserve cochlear function

Link to research :had to dig a little)
Hearing Impairment Associated With Depression in US Adults, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2010 | Depressive Disorders | JAMA Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery | JAMA Network

Last edited:
I tried before but didn't seem to work :p !

Attachments

• babana-in-ear.jpg
    babana-in-ear.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 455
Interesting, my doctor has me take potassium and tells me to eat more bananas
due to one of my medications tending to lower my potassium levels

Oddly I've noticed my tinnitus is not as bad as it used to be lately.

I never error made the connection between the two,and just
chalked it up to me trying to take care of my hearing.

In the same way that we are told to drink milk to keep our bones strong we are now being encouraged to eat bananas to protect our hearing.
An unpromising choice of comparison: it turns out that, contrary to what the dairy industry has been saying for decades, drinking milk doesn't strengthen your bones, it does the opposite: drinking milk increases your chance of osteoporosis and bone fracture!

References:
1) Fact or Myth: Does Osteoporosis and Drinking Milk Have A Connection? | Underground Health Reporter

2) Why Is Milk Consumption Associated with More Bone Fractures? | NutritionFacts.org

3) Milk is a poor preventer of osteoporosis | ScienceNordic

In a recent thread on diyAudio about loudness-induced hearing damage, someone posted electron microscope images showing patches of hair-cells in the inner ear that had been destroyed by excessive loudness. I can't think of a way in which any of the minerals found in bananas can possibly prevent or reverse this damage.

Worth noting: the original ABC.net.au story includes the words "It doesn't mean that if you eat a lot of bananas, which are rich in potassium, it would cure the hearing loss but it can help maintain the optimum level of potassium to preserve the hearing."

So the claim seems to be that bananas can't reverse existing hearing loss, but might possibly maintain potassium levels that might possibly reduce additional hearing loss? It really isn't very clear.

-Gnobuddy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.