M*A*S*H

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Major Winchester passed away

David Ogden Stiers, Major Winchester on ‘M*A*S*H,’ Dies at 75 - The New York Times

In his old age, I took care of my uncle who served 3 tours of duty in Korea. He had a Leica IIIf and took hundreds of Kodachromes which I shared with a Korean fellow who lives in our town. There were also scores and scores of BW prints.

I think that there is a strong element of truth in the 1950's war-time reality in the TV series.

Ol Uncle used to see the same nurses thirty and forty years later!

About truth in the MASH series, a lot of it was really more about the Vietnam war but in an oblique way so as to avoid the polarization of such a controversial topic.

Yes, the growth of his character showed good writing and good acting.

Some say playing the straight man in comedy is more difficult.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
David was a great actor. I was not keen on him in M*A*S*H because he played his part so well; hard to know he was a very different person off set.

...I think that there is a strong element of truth in the 1950's war-time reality in the TV series. ...

M*A*S*H is parody. Good parody requires knowing the thing you are parodying.

As said, it is set in Korea but fervently speaks to Viet Nam.

Count the fingers. Some of the boys/men who served in Korea were, by the time of M*A*S*H TV and Viet Nam, in positions of middle-age power, or at least Silent Majority trends. It had to "be Korea" to work with them. Nobody took their views from a funny TV show, but I do think it softened some attitudes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Favorite show during my HS years and for a long time after. He was a great foil to Hawkeye and in later episodes did get to show some real humanity despite the uppity Boston Brahman shtick. Off set he was apparently a very different/modest person based on the few TV interviews I watched.

I saw that Star Trek episode long ago and remember being pretty amazed at his performance.

Sad, he really wasn't that old.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.