John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has Jam Somasundram ever did to you that you find it offensive for anybody to give an opinion on his work? Are you trying to tarnish his good reputation?

I guess this is the fellow (attached pictures), always found him to be a humble person though, what brand is he working for these days?

Attachments

• jam ces2016 1.jpg
    jam ces2016 1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 208
  • jam ces2016 2.jpg
    jam ces2016 2.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 208
I guess this is the fellow (attached pictures), always found him to be a humble person though, what brand is he working for these days?
Not yet announced. Probably Evenharmonics knows more, he mentioned business partnership and affiliation about Jam.
Then you are as nutty ...
A case of overactive sixth sense?

Last edited:
No need to get wacky with the physics, but not planning to get into details anyway.

Understood, we have all been here before. Your Jam's wire experience looked like a short series of uncontrolled sighted listening tests, I know you can do better. I realize if we ask for DBT you throw the book at us, but please don't expect us to give any credibility to what has been shown so far.

Scott, It makes no difference if I do DBT, if I make recordings for ScottJ (Matt) to listen to, or anything else. Someone will insist my dac must be oscillating, because they just can't believe it could be possible. The only solution I can see is for a few people to come see for themselves. Otherwise, like most discussions here its all a waste of time.

Someone will insist my dac must be oscillating, because they just can't believe it could be possible.

Not the point you are doing what folks have been doing for more than 20 years. It's not subtle, it's easy to hear, if only you were here it would be obvious, yadda, yadda. How about, it's very subtle some people can hear it after hours of comparative listening, many people might never hear it under any circumstances. Maybe the hearing and not hearing changes day to day. Maybe the difference does not exist.

Last edited:

Now if somebody could explain what are these "audio professionals" (he's not alone) doing on a DIY Audio forum...

Certainly not an urge to share schematics, principles or other implementation details with the unwashed masses of innocent amateurs. If you follow their postings you'll quickly note that their technical contribution is asymptotically zero, mostly oblique pot stirring comments. Plus I would think that in a competitive business like High End Audio they should be too busy to afford wasting time in debating unverifiable cable listening impressions with the Infidels.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The studio firm I work with is an ATC dealer and properly set up SCM 200/300s with subs can play above 100 dB average without any noticeable strain, with peaks above 120 dB. Too loud for me, but clear proof of excellent dynamic headroom, which is the whole point: before mixdown, compression and limiting the dynamic range of individual channels is pretty amazing, and very high headroom is needed to properly set up mics, levels and the rest.

Thank you for reminding us of this Howie. Easy to forget that even recordings that say 'no compression' have probably had some gain riding. I suspect/fear that quite few recordings that people report to sound 'dynamic' are anything but in reality but have the right secret sauce applied in the studio.

Now if somebody could explain what are these "audio professionals" (he's not alone) doing on a DIY Audio forum...

Certainly not an urge to share schematics, principles or other implementation details with the unwashed masses of innocent amateurs. If you follow their postings you'll quickly note that their technical contribution is asymptotically zero, mostly oblique pot stirring comments...
No need for explanation, see JamJar: an HPA-1-inspired power amp thread as an example. I'd say some of them (not all) do support DIY amateurs.

Not the point you are doing what folks have been doing for more than 20 years.

The dispute probably comes down to the fact that humans tend to believe their own senses. Its hard to accept that one's own perception of reality is a construction of the brain and not reality itself. Again, that is for all humans.

If I hear something clearly, then its hard to believe others shouldn't be able to hear it. It exists, so what's wrong with them.

If I don't hear something at all, then its hard to believe there can be anything there to hear. It doesn't exist, so what's wrong with people who think it does.

There is no way to resolve what some humans can hear without multiple well-conducted studies. Even then, history shows that some people will never believe new research if it goes against their strongly held beliefs. History further shows that collecting enough studies can take 20-years, and then beliefs only change on a large scale when a new generation of humans come along and can evaluate the evidence before they have strongly held beliefs about it.

So, its all a big waste of time to argue here.

There is no money for research.

Now, as a practical matter some people know they can hear what other people can hear so there is no argument. About half the people on this forum can hear capacitors and other elements of audio circuits whether they are technical experts about it not. They get along fine with each other.

The other half know they hear what their group hears and there is not argument between them either. Only they don't hear capacitors or cables or whatever. They get along fine with each other.

The first group sees the second group as partially deaf.

The second group see the first group as crazy or lying, or both.

Given that there is no practical way to resolve the difference in perceptions of reality between the groups, most likely we will never fully get along. That said, I personally don't think there is any justification for allowing Evenharmonics to carry on as he does. Same for Syn08 when he decides to get nasty.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
. About half the people on this forum can hear capacitors and other elements of audio circuits whether they are technical experts about it not. They get along fine with each other.

Or they 'think' they can hear capacitors (assuming you don't mean the mechanical buzz of cheap SMT caps that can occur). I have seen them argue amongst each other quite violently. No testing of their abilities to hear things 150dB down has been made. But they can glom for victory so do so with wild abandon.

It's just as easy to say that half the forum are deluded and the other half are trying to help save their wallets from damage. Equal lack of proof for this statement (other than the scary amounts some pay for uncalibrated components for glomming)

Status
Not open for further replies.