John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You patch a lot of assumptions together and claim success? Really?

And then in the next post you try to pull the "attack the person instead of the content???

Again, really? Are you so flat as to use that silly tactic? Did you really think attacking me was the way to stop asking actual technical questions?

As I previously said, several of the posters on this thread have chosen to make it a trash heap, and it appears contagious.

Please, stick to discussion.

Jn

This is so great, JN. Perfectly stated.

You too are an obvious idiot now. And, you have been exposed to the world for what you truly are by them.... that you have deep knowledge above and beyond.

I have been messed with by people who are professionals at it and this is light weight bullying here. I have thick skin. But, it gets annoying and is unfocused and misdirected and becomes a time waster.

Anyway, thanks for your clarity in putting forth your understanding and experience. Much appreciated by many, I am sure.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
It's completely insane, this story of double blind test.
Why would we want to transform listening to music in some sort of scanner or echography session?
Do we take a stopwatch and an accelerometer when we try a car with a car dealer ?
Actually, I believe dbt is a valid methodology for many things. Not having done any w/r to music, I cannot comment on audio use one way or the other. A big concern for me is always whether the protocol can influence the outcome.

In my experience, I tend to find things when I am alone and not under pressure. My figuring out that my sound card with it's single DAC/two S/H outs causing a interchannel delay made the lateralization effect (headphones) and subsequent pan pot issues clear to me...I am not sure I would have found that under strict rules of engagement.
Nor when I was at the beach, and noticed that a towel used to significantly lower one ear input (drastic modification of IID) didn't alter the localization of sound from in front of me.

So scientifically, While I feel dbt's are reasonable methods of controlling confounders that can influence the test, I still worry that the protocol may affect the human doing the test.

Again, no basis in fact, just a feeling.

But visiting a fellow audio interested guy? No DBT'S.. Just relaxed fun. My life does not hinge on audio anything...audio is there for enjoyment. Mainly as background to life. But, sometimes it is necessary to turn the volume up to 11, like the refrain from Africa by Toto. At times like that, if you can still focus your eyes on your surroundings, there is not enough bass.
Jn

Last edited:
I find I lose hearing a sine wave tone just above 18,000 hertz. So clearly my hearing is degrading. (Just tried it.)

I have absolutely no problem hearing the horizontal scan rate of televisions..

What was that, 17 plus kHz?

The only problem is...there are no tv's around to broadcast that frequency. And, I constantly hear it. I guess that means sumptin. And it can't be good.

Oh, your comments on mono compatibility, I fully agree with you, I was thinking only about home or headphone reproduction. I completely forgot that I also have wrestled with mono/stereo issues in public venues, and even on the dance floor with the mobile rig. I stand corrected.

Maybe the mixdown in the studio could be set 4 channel, two with proper ITD/IID and the second amplitude pan only. Can't cost that much. Seems like a processor in the effects loop with second feed to monitors or aux would solve the logistics.

Jn

While I'm not in a position to spend that kind of money jet setting around, if I were in the area, I would most certainly stop by, enjoy a discussion, and have a glass of wine. Doing a dbt listening protocol when drink and conversation could be had??? No.

No problem and no conclusions from the exercise allowed in that case. If Mark wants to demonstrate his missing reverb tails he does it my way otherwise we just have a good time which is probably better all around.

This is so great, JN. Perfectly stated.

You too are an obvious idiot now. And, you have been exposed to the world for what you truly are by them.... that you have deep knowledge above and beyond.

I have been messed with by people who are professionals at it and this is light weight bullying here. I have thick skin. But, it gets annoying and is unfocused and misdirected and becomes a time waster.

Anyway, thanks for your clarity in putting forth your understanding and experience. Much appreciated by many, I am sure.

THx-RNMarsh
Your welcome, I say it as I feel it.
But if you think we're ready to pick out china patterns, forget it..:D
You used to work at a national lab, and I know the type of crazies that they hire for those places.

Cheers, happy new year.

Ps. Do we beat you with New Year's Eve timing, or do you beat us? That infernal international date line thingy confuses me no end.

Jn

Actually, I believe dbt is a valid methodology for many things. Not having done any w/r to music, I cannot comment on audio use one way or the other. A big concern for me is always whether the protocol can influence the outcome.
I think some people, here, want to get a perfect system. Stamped. An intellectual satisfaction.
But, in a way, a too shiny/ good/impressive system invariably tend the owner to concentrate on it rather than on the music.
If we are trying a new thing in it, of course double test (I don't care if it is blind or not) is helpful to figure out what kind of modification occurs.
The effort of attention requested by those kind of tests impeaches our brains to accept the illusion that musicians are playing in front of us.
Long time listening (Days) ease-it.
In fact, i use "blind" not for tests, but, often, to listen to music.
The vision of this jumble of material and the size of our listening room is an obstacle to the imagination.
However, when we watch a movie, there is a correlation between what we see and what we hear.
All that doesn't matter, really, it's just something to give us some pleasure.
Really not enough to fight :).

To quote E. O. Wilson "Specialization is for insects" (and losers).

I got nuttin. Really, no comment..absolutely can't think of a response, witty or otherwise. Tapped..

Doesn't mean I won't...

Well, OK...I won't..

Oops, lied...

I come up with a reference from a silly mindless idiotic toy inspired video game style movie, and the best you can do is a quote from an intellectual writer?? I've never heard of myrmecology, how the heck did you even know that?

Cheers

Jn
Ps. Speaking of movies, just watched kingsman last night. The premise, the execution, everything was just so outrageously absurd and so out of the context of plausibility, up to the final action scene where everybody on the planet was trying to kill one another. All of a sudden, it became plausible...they played KC and the Sunshine Band's song "Give it up", then suddenly everybody wanting to kill everyone made sense...
Oh, that and I kept waiting for the bad guy to say "what's in your wallet".

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Your welcome, I say it as I feel it.
But if you think we're ready to pick out china patterns, forget it..:D
You used to work at a national lab, and I know the type of crazies that they hire for those places.

Cheers, happy new year.

Ps. Do we beat you with New Year's Eve timing, or do you beat us? That infernal international date line thingy confuses me no end.

Jn

hahahahaha. OK. yes, a lot of creative people coming up with new ideas and concepts to try. Sometimes crazy.

The best part of my career at LLNL was that it was not just electronics. You could talk to research Chemists. To Pulsed power systems, Nuclear, Laser. Not isolated from one another. All interacting with one another in a Matrix organisation designed to cross-pollinate ideas and concepts.

A physicist would tell me of his success and want to take me to see his self aligning laser something. Or, another physicist would stop me in the hall and tell me about radiated foods to kill bacteria and how long the 1/2 life was. So, foods should not be eaten for 3 days after radiation to be safe... depending -- if you lived near where food was grown and radiated, keep it for 2-3 days. etc. just all over the place with ideas and sharing knowledge.

But not here. OMG how I miss those crazies. They would start something and if it worked, transfer the technology to industry or universities or other research places. But the original creative ideas and concepts was a lot of fun for me to be involved in. They knew me and shared with me some of what they had learned. it was just that kind of place... by design.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
It seems that the overlords now are not so interested in cross pollination. Everybody seems to complain that interactivity and creativity are being stifled by bottom line.

A month ago at a big get together for employee feedback for the director, I grabbed the mike and detailed a specific experience I had. During a Thursday happy hour (not lab related), I was asking a chemist friend about his experiments. He lamented a difficulty generating a plasma for a two laser spectroscopy experiment. Apparently he was trying to use a 60 hz HV transformer to create plasma at 200 hz 1 kv, the xfmr was burning up. I wound a xfmr using a pulsed power core gathering dust, made using 1 mil thick iron foil. I loaned him a 1.5 kW audio amp, he was able to increase experimental sensitivity 3 orders of magnitude.

My point to them was the cross pollination aspect, and that upper management should foster a better environment for creative ideas to be bandied about..as, what I did was trivially simple for an electrical engineer, and that the chemist didn't have direct access to one.

Their takeaway? More happy hours..

Sigh.

Jn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.