John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
... So it turns out that you don't have any proof "that some are falsifying ABX test results, provide forged proof"....
You want proof? Fine.
That happened to me too during subjective comparison. Then when the levels are matched for testing amps, the results changed...
Your statement I find extraordinary and shallow.

787073d1570778597-causes-grainy-sound-dx55-cs-vs-response-gif

A current source amp vs a voltage source, 2 amps into a single driver you demanded my proof of being able to hear a difference.

I find the claim you made shows much disrespect to all dedicated people working in audio, including Scott Wurcer, Bob Carver and Nelson Pass. The kind of difference I showed should be easy to hear for people with normal hearing. Should you say otherwise, I demand a proof beyond reasonable doubt, witnessed by 3 (three) people appointed by a court of law, showing that you are not able to hear that kind difference, along with a notarized statement from a certified otologist that you are in command of normal hearing. You may use a Firstwatt F1 as the current source and J2 as the voltage souce and any Lowther for the driver. And I am not paying. :D

I have never suggest, harass nor pester anyone for the purpose of making any member so uncomfortable that he choose to leave the forum. Disagreements are part of life.

Last edited:
Please quote an example of a disruptive “mole” that harassed in any way innocent forum contributors over a 10dB SPL audibility.
It happened to the lucky scoundrel, not an innocent forum contributor. I honestly have no suspicion of intentional disruptive activity before being suggested to leave the forum. I won't quote, you can read about it starting here.

You want proof? Fine.

Your statement I find extraordinary and shallow.

787073d1570778597-causes-grainy-sound-dx55-cs-vs-response-gif

A current source amp vs a voltage source, 2 amps into a single driver you demanded my proof of being able to hear a difference.

I find the claim you made shows much disrespect to all dedicated people working in audio, including Scott Wurcer, Bob Carver and Nelson Pass. The kind of difference I showed should be easy to hear for people with normal hearing. Should you say otherwise, I demand a proof beyond reasonable doubt, witnessed by 3 (three) people appointed by a court of law, showing that you are not able to hear that kind difference, along with a notarized statement from a certified otologist that you are in command of normal hearing. You may use a Firstwatt F1 as the current source and J2 as the voltage souce and any Lowther for the driver. And I am not paying. :D

I have never suggest, harass nor pester anyone for the purpose of making any member so uncomfortable that he choose to leave the forum. Disagreements are fact of life.
Where is the proof "that some are falsifying ABX test results, provide forged proof"?

... "that some are falsifying ABX test results, provide forged proof"
Again total disregard of forum guideline no. 3, and holding Syn08 statement against me.

My statement :
... However, a mole who works against the forum will ... He may even provide forged proof when somebody ask for it. We know falsifying ABX test to show inability to hear a difference is trivial for those who can hear. Additional indication for me would be that the mole would never show his true name...

You found my ability to hear a 10dB SPL difference as extraordinary claim. Give us proof supporting that.

Last edited:
Opinions are great, I feel totally free to express them, as should anyone else. I was corrected recently when I misunderstood that an opinion had been expressed that appeared to me as a statement of fact. I think it wise to err on the side of caution and presume opinion is the default position of posts, it makes life so much simpler....;)

Opinions are great, I feel totally free to express them, as should anyone else. I was corrected recently when I misunderstood that an opinion had been expressed that appeared to me as a statement of fact. I think it wise to err on the side of caution and presume opinion is the default position of posts, it makes life so much simpler....;)

It is, but you've to discover that secret obviously for yourself.....

A post like this:

"And nicely wrapped big set of words saying nothing."

is exactly opinion stated as fact, but usually most people are able to understand that it is just a subjective impression.

In general it would IMO even better to avoid expressing such purely negative subjective statements in favour of fruitful discussions, along the line that Max_Headroom posted before.
Of course, nobody´s perfect, but it doesn't harm to try, does it?

In general it would IMO even better to avoid expressing such purely negative subjective statements in favour of fruitful discussions, along the line that Max_Headroom posted before.
Of course, nobody´s perfect, but it doesn't harm to try, does it?
True, I was alluding to an opinion(sounding like a statement of fact) that Planet 10 made, it was a particular one, but it is his style to express opinion dogmatically, I get that now, and interpret all his posts in a similar manner, many of his customers apparently don't, but I understand that's not my problem.

Last edited:
... I think it wise to err on the side of caution and presume opinion is the default position of posts, it makes life so much simpler....;)
Matt, the line is about as blurry for me as well. A DBT result of another may or may not be applicable to me. As an example Pavel showed his superior discerning ability on his "Can you hear ..." thread compared to mine. When he say this amp sounds better or worse than the other, it may not be applicable to me since there is a chance that I would not be able to hear the difference. Not a problem for me since I accepted that possibility for a long time already as part of life. Much simpler to communicate measured quantities.

Last edited:
he said worst case add a resistor rather than use higher resistance speaker wire to increase damping to increase LF output of a full range speaker.
Damping Factor (DF) is impedance per source resistance. How can adding a resistor (increasing source resistance) will increase 'damping'? As it is basic, there could be a typo or he didn't mean DF when he said 'damping'.
He talked about FR speaker, what do we know about it? (1) No crossover, means low source resistance (2) I think rather high Q, probably used in sealed box of low Qtc, low impedance at resonance. Adding R will indeed 'increase' bass perception (increase LF output in his words). But it is not extending down the frequency response. There's something I know here that I don't want to talk about, but as long as it is about perceived listening and the use of subjective terms, i don't see extra ordinary claim. May be a little generalization. But i agree about tendency to use strong words to express opinions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.