John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It could be due to noise-shaping, just a single tone is needed. Never underestimate the manufacturers creativity, muting the DAC output to pretend an even higher (at least at a first glance) S/N ratio, if no signal is presented is/was a common choice.

Without informations about the specifics of the implemented cirtuitry, it's hard to say.
Additional measurements could reveal if the noise distribution depends on the signal.

It seems like a really bad idea. Especially if you have to listen to music with that going on.

But its quite clever as it doesnt show up in standard test procedures for S/N.

-RNM

Jakob2 was quite understandable IMHO. Not word salad or FUD at all.

The way it looks from here is that a few people are intolerant of things they don't understand, like science outside of physics.
Just as PMA pointed out in the quote below.
I do not understand these hobby stereotypes and superstitions.

For people who have studied a lot about perceptual testing, the above assumptions may or may not be considered reliable. It depends on a lot of unstated details about the purpose of a particular listening test, exactly how the test planned and conducted, how many test subjects are used, how results are interpreted, how replicable the test is, etc.
Does the same apply to subjective listening tests such as the one you and RNMarsh did when you went over to his place to listen to an upgraded DAC earlier this year?

Jakob2 is the closest we have to an expert in perceptual testing (and will do quite nicely),
Who gets to determine that, someone with qualification on other people's level of expertise? :scratch:

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Does the same apply to subjective listening tests such as the one you and RNMarsh did when you went over to his place to listen to an upgraded DAC earlier this year?

The same applies. If you are doing a scientific study. We were not.

We agreed about the character of the sound as we heard it. Thats all we said.

If a tone control sets highs boosted and i listen and say it sounds bright. Is that scientific study?

Its just what we heard and described it. And we both agreed on what was heard and its character.

-RNMarsh

Ah the Scott I have come to know and love. Pretty sure he has a clue who I am. Of course you can always ask him. Do you need his email?

Did he offend you by saying something like you can't make a 1nV amplifier with a 1K source impedance? People have a lot of distractions in a public forum, I'm sure he had no intention of offending your intelligence.

The same applies. If you are doing a scientific study. We were not.

We agreed about the character of the sound as we heard it. Thats all we said.

If a tone control sets highs boosted and i listen and say it sounds bright. Is that scientific study?

Its just what we heard and described it. And we both agreed on what was heard and its character.

-RNMarsh
In other words, all the details matter. It is a gross oversimplification to rely on blind or sighted as all there is to it. Its something we humans tend to get wrong when we don't have expert knowledge of perceptual testing, or for that matter any other complex scientific field outside of our own area(s) of expertise.
I wonder if you both agree that it's something both of you've got it wrong because there is a tendency of it.

... When we say a listening test is blind or sighted, there are some unstated assumptions commonly associated with those terms. We may tend to assume sighted means a listening test must necessarily be unreliable and blind means that a listening test is reliable (blind and level matched, you know). ...
Stereophile Carver challenge is a known published article show that some people, even with a certain bias, are genuinely able to hear a non difference on a sighted test. Perhaps it is a matter of skill. It is nice if a training program or a somewhat structured guideline exist so that more people (who are willing and in command of adequate means) can learn how to become more able to do so.

Stereophile Carver challenge is a known published article show that some people, even with a certain bias, are genuinely able to hear a non difference on a sighted test. Perhaps it is a matter of skill. It is nice if a training program or a somewhat structured guideline exist so that more people (who are willing and in command of adequate means) can learn how to become more able to do so.
It's a losing effort unless humans can control the subconscious. If able, it wouldn't be called subconscious. But it would be a winning formula great sales pitch for boutique audio business if possible.

<snip>Perhaps it is a matter of skill. It is nice if a training program or a somewhat structured guideline exist so that more people (who are willing and in command of adequate means) can learn how to become more able to do so.

As we often need both in a typical controlled listening experiment, means people who are able to detect "equality" and "difference" it isn't that easy.
There were some who tried to use so-called "placebo trials" (means presenting consecutively the same stimulus) to find those who detect the "equality" as a prescreen procedure, but they still didn't know if this group would be the best to detect differences, which leads again to the case of mandatory positive controls.

It is a matter of skills (and most likely wrt human abilities, it is a matter of talent too), one has to learn to listen for perceptual evaluation purposes and that requires often a lot of training (might be that some natural talents are out there) which includes extended listening to the same music samples again and again, but even more important to learn to listen and to be aware only of the emotional response while excluding any further analytical thinking, which will be used only at the next step.

So, listening in a state of awareness is generally a good start.

Btw, humans generally are not better in detecting "equality" under "blind test conditions", that's what the scientific evidence shows.

Last edited:
It seems like a really bad idea. Especially if you have to listen to music with that going on.

But its quite clever as it doesnt show up in standard test procedures for S/N.

-RNM

The idea came from the dither process and some perceptual thinking I'd guess and at a first glance it seems to be a good idea.
As one usually needs to use dither (which adds noise) the idea to "shape" the frequency distribution - while keeping the average power of the noise constant - in a way that it is more located in a frequency region where the human ear is less sensitive, looks appealing.

So, the ideal dither/noise shaping process would completely decorrelate the quantizer noise from the audio signal and further remove more of the noise from the midrange and everything done without any audible deterioration.
Thats what happens in the production domain.

The usual delta-sigma converters (and the DSD process ) uses in addition their own noise shaping to compensate for the low bit effects while converting the signal. (leaving aside all the details)

The observed difference between the "no signal" conditions and the "signal present" conditions in the audio band would not harm, as it is probably just due to a mute function of the DAC circuitry. That means every signal that evokes the mute release would/should show the same noise spectrum.

In reality it seems to be different, as we know that some kind of noise modulation (not totally indepent from the signal content) occurs.

As we often need both in a typical controlled listening experiment, means people who are able to detect "equality" and "difference" it isn't that easy.
There were some who tried to use so-called "placebo trials" (means presenting consecutively the same stimulus) to find those who detect the "equality" as a prescreen procedure, but they still didn't know if this group would be the best to detect differences, which leads again to the case of mandatory positive controls.
But no such screening procedure is needed for subjective audio electronics review posters online and magazines, right?

And it should be doubly noted much of the ostensible hi-res music has tons of noise shaped dither in its creation.

Jakob2--I'm on holiday not terribly far from your lovely country, so my response will be delayed. I imagine we agree more than disagree on how the sausage of discovery is made but I am wholesale distrusting of anecdotes on an internet forum, especially ones that make sensational claims with excuses that what they hear is immeasurable, and posters with a history of credulity. I like blinded experiments, coming from something of a medical/engineering background, but soberly conducted unblinded work is far better than anything we get from this forum. (For perceptual work) And certainly has its value for the listener's sake, whether it's a real effect or perceived. But these observations have poor translation to another user.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.