John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked with a guy once who was very bright and one of the best ‘engineering mathematicians’ I’ve ever met. He told me when he could not solve a problem, he’d just close his note pad ( be it circuit or otherwise) and go home and sleep on it. Sure enough, in the morning he’d have a way forward and the problem would be duly solved.

My wife is a trained psychologist. We do not fully understand the workings of the mind or how intuition - really very deep seated thought processes that we do not have direct access to - work, and how they then pop into consciousness. Nothing to do with spirits and divine and intervention but everything to do with the incredible human mind.
’.

I can relate with how this works, and how when JC mentions he can’t explain but ‘knows’ ,
it’s something that control freaks would have a hard time with as it requires a bit of ‘letting go’ or trusting yourself. The esp that some brag about having is nothing more than being in tune with your inner self.

One aspect many don’t understand is the ability to see all facets of a reality.....
Example being religion/politics most can’t understand anything but their own viewpoint......(or what they’ve been ‘taught’)

Last edited:
Like so many ideas discussed here, there are the detractors. It is just in someone's personality, I guess, to suspect everything.
When it comes to 'left brain vs right brain' I was turned on to this about 30 years ago by the former publisher of 'Audio Express'. He told me about a book that I should read, in fact he recommended several books, but this one was: 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' by Betty Edwards. It gave me an insight as to how our brains can be conditioned to not do some things well, and that it can be fixed if one perhaps wants to.
It seemed to explain to me, for example, why Japanese designers could make such flat measuring but lousy sounding speakers. Who knows?

To paraphrase:

"Planck's principle is the view that audio changes do not occur because individual audiophiles change their mind, but rather that successive generations of audiophiles have different views."

Case in point: CFA vs. VFA amplifiers. 10-15 years ago, CFAs had a horrible reputation, including on this forum. Now, they are mostly considered the best thing since sliced bread.

Fashion would be another example.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well I have converted another poor soul to battery power. You can get affordable decent capacity Lithium battery packs now days with variable output, so anything that was powered by a wall wart can be converted to battery power. Other than those with a hatred of setting a recurring calendar alert on their phone to remind them to charge them once a week and the usual SMPS haters it is a recommended upgrade.

To paraphrase:

"Planck's principle is the view that audio changes do not occur because individual audiophiles change their mind, but rather that successive generations of audiophiles have different views."

Fashion would be another example.

And all intellectual thinking is fashionable, by way of it going in and out of fashion. Happens all the time. ToS

Well I have converted another poor soul to battery power. You can get affordable decent capacity Lithium battery packs now days with variable output, so anything that was powered by a wall wart can be converted to battery power. Other than those with a hatred of setting a recurring calendar alert on their phone to remind them to charge them once a week and the usual SMPS haters it is a recommended upgrade.

Lithium batteries are noisy. The worse of them all, AFAIK.

Seems we now have a valid new target, the opinion of a psychologist. It's been a bit quiet lately. Are we expecting another mud throwing session? Anyone else coming? :D
Richard Feynman discusses a few things in his "Cargo Cult Science" speech. He mentions psychotherapy, and before he even gets started on how much he seems to imply that he read about the topic*, he goes on to compare it to the cargo cults that the talk is named after. Later on he discusses an experiment to be in the Cornell psychology department.

There's the oil drop experiment, and subsequent experiments to measure the charge on the electron, where he describes a consistent bias toward previously published values.

"We’ve learned those tricks nowadays, and now we don’t have that kind of a disease."

The "We" here is scientists working in the hard sciences such as physics. The rigor for such investigations is still less used in the softer sciences.

Cargo Cult Science

* I don't know if he ever spoke or wrote about this (psychtherapy, and how much, if any, scientific basis it has) later. I'd be interested in what he said, though from everything else I've read from him, I think I've got a pretty good idea of what he would have said.

Lithium batteries are noisy. The worse of them all, AFAIK.

While it is true that many batteries are less than quiet (like Pb AGMs), the noise they deliver is all transverse (differential) mode which is relatively easy to filter. They eliminate common-mode noise from the AC line by virtue of being isolated from the AC mains, which is a big benefit. Eliminating a potential ground loop path for the audio signal is another plus.

Cheers,
Howie

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You might have a look at batteries. They are not a constant low Z like an electronic PS is.

Internal-resistance-membrane-resistance-of-the-H-2-air-PEM-fuel-cell-at-different-RH.jpg

energies-11-00064-g004b.png

download.jpg

ETC

Batteries might be better in some ways than a wall wort smps. But, may be better to use a good reg PS than a battery for accurate reproduction and find and remove any ground loops if you have them.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think I may have been misread. These are variable output battery packs. So there is an SMPS inside plus there will be a regulator inside whatever it is powering. A battery pack with 3A output at 12V should not trouble the average DAC or preamp that maybe consumes 3 or 4W. Those whose preamps consume more than the average poweramp have other issues.

I think it is worthy of further investigation. Certainly my anecdotal sample of one friend thinks it's a major improvement, which counts as much as any other sample of one posted on this thread...

(In my case my wall wart had a nasty hum so the removed mechanical noise made the purchase a no brainer)

Status
Not open for further replies.