John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the rings of Saturnus there were different theories. Theories are part of the scientific process.

The next step in the scientific process is to validate those theories, for example in the case of Saturnys by going there with a space craft. Unless verified (or falsified), theories are worth nothing.

Hence my utter disappointment when members here only throw theories around, have an excellent opportunity to verify, but don't. Like with the gooped Benchmark.

What about the people that can hear the differences apples for apples (caps of same values and materials) in a well designed circuit?

What about people who can't, they also have nothing to "prove". Scientific relativism has been the stock and trade of audio for decades, nothing is going to change that. In audio the well designed experiments are always the show stopper, too much to lose.

Last edited:
Hence my utter disappointment when members here only throw theories around, have an excellent opportunity to verify, but don't. Like with the gooped Benchmark.

Understand how you might feel disappointed.

However, there was no expectation that anything so extreme and permanent had been done until the dac case was opened. Since I had not listened to the dac immediately before or after it was modded, prior to the visit when the case was opened my personal expectation was that there would be no audible difference between the dacs and that when the modded dac was opened, we would find typical and removable EMI/RFI mods that were not really needed. Hence, there was no plan to come loaded for bear.

Hindsight bias - Wikipedia

Last edited:
...op-amp rolling...

Perhaps oddly, sometimes it makes much more of a difference than it should. In some cases I have suspected RFI sensitivity of a circuit out on the bench might account for some of it. Some confirmation of that simply by dropping a circuit down inside an empty steel computer case laying on its side. The cases can be reasonably lossy at RF.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Perhaps oddly, sometimes it makes much more of a difference than it should. In some cases I have suspected RFI sensitivity of a circuit out on the bench might account for some of it. Some confirmation of that simply by dropping a circuit down inside an empty steel computer case laying on its side. The cases can be reasonably lossy at RF.
Easy enough to measure, for example the LM4562 has been known to very readily receive signals from DECT phones in the 1900MHz region.

Doesn't matter. Anything that is anecdotal goes into the pot of no evidence or proof.

To be fair, even if it is evidence it often goes to the pot of silence, if the evidence is not to ones liking.
(I've mentioned our first set of listening tests with film capacitors in the past.)

does CERN publish their capacitor shoot outs?

Is there a convincing line of reasoning why it must be impossible to detect audible differences in certain applications, just because CERN did not publish about capacitor shootouts? :)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
To be fair, even if it is evidence it often goes to the pot of silence, if the evidence is not to ones liking. (I've mentioned our first set of listening tests with film capacitors in the past.)
I would like to think I am not guily of that and apologise if I have been.

Is there a convincing line of reasoning why it must be impossible to detect audible differences in certain applications, just because CERN did not publish about capacitor shootouts? :)
Just a feeble attempt at humour. As we all know, real men use wet slug tantalums for DC blocking.

Read the capacitor/op-amp rolling threads that is rarely if ever the claim, typical results are a least a page of highly exaggerated prose detailing large changes up and down the audio spectrum.

Compared to the assertion that an audible difference can't exist, even the usual audio prosa seems to be quite reserved. ;)

(Otherwise I agree that often a bit less enthusiastic/dramatic reports would be better)

The conditions were mentioned, analyzer was an AP.
Anecdotal? Seems we are in need of a semantic thread. ;)

Clarke's first law comes into mind:

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong." :cool:

Nope, it was surprising as they not just took over the design, but the complete manufacturing line. And of course I checked the other possible effects first.

Understood, no data to show, the usual excuses. Just another story that goes to the pile of.

Easy enough to measure, for example the LM4562 has been known to very readily receive signals from DECT phones in the 1900MHz region.

Yes, they show FFT spurs in that case, and there happens to be a DECT phone base station here. In most cases, other than for LM4562 family parts, unplugging its power makes no audible or clear measurable difference.

However, clipping a scope ground lead to the tip as a makeshift antenna shows lots of RF activity down as low as 150MHz. Only one spot in the house shows attenuated RF, and that is directly in front of the middle of the dishwasher door in the kitchen. The direction blocked by it is off to the West, about 100mi of open space across the Sacramento Valley only blocked by the Coastal Mountains at the other side. At this location, I could probably use a walk-in Faraday cage for doing bench work. Lacking that, I have empty computer cases. Obviously, its a low budget operation.

Last edited:
@ billshurv,

I would like to think I am not guily of that and apologise if I have been.

No, just a general remark. It happens not only in case of (inconvenient) listening test results, but wrt evidence too.
I mentioned recently the .....err..um...a bit less than overwhelming appreciation for the evidence of the impact the various test protocols can have.

Just a feeble attempt at humour. As we all know, real men use wet slug tantalums for DC blocking.

I thought so, but similar 'arguments' are posted quite often.....

@ syn08,

Understood, no data to show, the usual excuses. Just another story that goes to the pile of.

As the spin doctor nowadays insists that the FUD shouter is only jestering, I'll let it go.....

Status
Not open for further replies.