John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how come Jack is not in a maximum security federal institution for divulging and disseminating strategic technologies to foes. Does he have a licence to export Bybees to Iran, China, Russia? That is required, since even some Tektronix scopes from the 60’s are today still on the no export list.

John, to protect you last drop of reputation, tell me in private how much is your share of revenue from the Bybee business and I’ll cover it, even if I have to open a public subscription. It is painful to see you this low.

Hi Mark,
You know what I mean in as much as this is a very relaxed forum...

Hi Chris,
If we are talking about the expectation bias thing, I think misuse of the term is a problem (more so over at the less civilized other forum out there) and we should talk about whether there is actually such a bias or not. Probably, there is not research evidence for it like we are sometimes asked to produce around here. That's okay though. There is existing research that probably helps give clues as to what might actually be going on when people make errors of listening. It's a little less pat that simply saying expectation bias however.

On the other hand, if we are talking about my interactions with a particular member, that would be a entirely different thing. A bit of a puzzle, and an unwanted one.

One thing I can tell you in any case, I don't like spending much time in this thread. A problem is that once a post is made, there always seems to be some follow up activity called for. Getting that stuff sorted and then back out of the fray again can be tricky.

Last edited:
Old Bybee info:

Attachments

• Picture 99.jpg
    Picture 99.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Picture 99a.jpg
    Picture 99a.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 169
P.S. In case you are wondering, yes, for 99.999% of adult population, I believe all decent non pathologically designed and built amplifiers sound the same. Myself, I do not claim that my 100W/8ohm 1ppm @20KHz power amplifier sounds anywhere better than an old Harman Kardon 3770 I salvaged for $25 at the flea market.
I clearly remember some pretty specific subjective attributes being described of your PGP (<1ppm dist @ 20kHz) amp in the 'listening tests' section where it was compared to some other pretty expensive amps.

The link is now not working but I have found another reference here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the...quality-vs-measurements-1409.html#post4007102

I'm confused, what is your stance on this? You published the listening tests, are you saying you don't agree with the results?

From what you are saying above, they all should have sounded the same.

T

The link is working History

My stance of this: I don’t need or want to agree or disagree with anything. That was an open and causal wet listening session, I stayed slightly more sober than the average and took some notes. No claims of objectivity or test protocol, everybody knew what they are dealing with, no comparison with other amplifiers was attempted. All additional equipment was brought in by the participants. This is a story telling and it should be taken at face value, I’m myself not claiming a damn thing about any SQ.

To me, beyond a pleasant day with friends, the most important outcome was that one of the channels was slightly bursting into oscillations due to a wrong cap in the compensation loop. Fixed that, everything was fine ever since.

Results in the 4ohm speakers were dissapointing. To make a long(ish) story short, the PGP is unable to properly drive 4ohm speakers up to it's full power of 200W/ch. The PGP OPS deliveres and estimated of 15A peak and that's definitely not enough to drive 4 ohm speakers (dipping at 2 ohm, plus the phase lag) at full power. However, up to about 100W/channel, the 4 ohm performance is comparable with the 8 ohm load performance. One to another, my conclusion is that lateral MOSFETs are not recommended for the ultimate performance in 4 ohm speaker loads. A good lesson for the "lesson learned" phase of this project.

Have you tried a more powerful version, later (more pairs or different output dev.)?

Have you tried a more powerful version, later (more pairs or different output dev.)?

No, never went back to that project. I was always only interested in the proof of concept, the whole project drive and motto was “because we can”.

P.S. Your quote remainded me of a forum member that last week claimed a 750W into 4ohm amplifier with lateral mosfets in bridge mode :D. He didn’t seem to be aware of something called “transconductance drop” :D

Last edited:
Re Fig.6.7 - 6.9 I cannot see enough information in the EE article (Newell ...) to see experiment description and what they were actually measuring. So, no comments.

Unfortunately you already did comment with "measurement and experimental errors" (in response to max headrooms "thumbs up" explicitely quoting my post mentioning Voishvillo et al.'s measurements).....

Although I totally agree that there isn't enough information to try a replication of their experiment (*), is there so much missing if you compare it to your multitone post?

Their are measuring the spectal content (AP-FFT) using a multitone as excitation signal, level was, as mentioned before, quite high at 20 V rms, and they measured at the amplifier end and speaker end, using three different cables (types mentioned) and the three different load conditions.

(*) I remember from my communication with Newell, that Voishvillo et al. noticed the effect accidentially while preparing the measurements for their JAES articles about multitone testing of loudspeakers.

LOUD SHOUTING FUD

I hear you (knocking).... :)

Anecdotal story, you need to come up with details (relay manufacturer, model) and comparative and reproducible measurement setrup and resuts to be taken seriously.

The conditions were mentioned, analyzer was an AP.
Anecdotal? Seems we are in need of a semantic thread. ;)

It is impossible to explain that level of distortion (-90dB) by "a short piece of wire inside wasn't made from a diamagnetic material anymore", even for a relay routing a power amplifier output current.

Clarke's first law comes into mind:

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong." :cool:

If the numbers are real, I'd rather believe the new manufacturer ****** with the contacts (material, spring tension, etc...).

Nope, it was surprising as they not just took over the design, but the complete manufacturing line.
And of course I checked the other possible effects first.

Not to mention the discussion was about reed relays magnetic distortions, nowhere close to be used at high currents.

I was talking about the "magnetic issues of relais", but as I already conceded in my response to scott wurcer, that might not have been bold enough.

Yup, never smarten up the chumps. I doubt OTOH he got rich rebranding stock caps to a few stupid audiophiles. Stupid me all those years ago I though the point of things like AA were to inform the average DIY'er in how to get the most out of their limited funds. Instead the flock of cottage industrialists descend on the confused mass of innocents.

Afair, the "POOGE" thing for example was exactly about that, to do some modifications to get the best out of the .....

The expensive component guys were (at least at the beginning) more aiming at the manufacturers of "high end gear".

Status
Not open for further replies.