John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is so much nonsense bantered about here on this tread that it is almost unreadable. IF people can make the virtually perfect $99 CD player, then I say: good for them! However, if people just settle for a good $99 CD player and then rationalize that they hear no differences in 'better' equipment, then I say, you don't belong on this tread.

I would hope this thread could be reserved for the "5%" who hear audio differences, above and beyond the average. Then we can talk about what works and then be able to make improvements in our audio playback. This is what this thread started about. If you can't hear the difference, then don't waste our time saying so, do something constructive with your life. Cars, children, travel, etc are there for you to put your time and money into.

Then we can talk about what works and then be able to make improvements in our audio playback.

Charles Hansen said for years that speaker cable lifters are "the single greatest improvement" you could make to your system. Now hands up time for all the 5% here who swear by them.

Attachments

• cildren.jpg
    cildren.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 209
That's too bad that Charles Hansen found a cheap tweak that he really liked and shared with others. He sent me some myrtle blocks, but I didn't find them that useful, but I appreciated his tweak. Others, earlier, told me about cable lifters, and I believe them, but most of my cables are too short and are in the air, anyway.
When it comes to Scott, he is using 'forgiving' speakers (just like me), but he uses them as his reference. I do not. For most things they sound great, but not perfect, or even close to it. They just forgive the audio quality of the sources enough to make them tolerable. It is like driving a Toyota Camary auto. Soft enough suspension to forgive the road. A Porsche would not be so forgiving. Scott thinks the same thing about autos. He was never an 'enthusiast' about autos like Richard Marsh or me. It's his loss, not mine. However, to be fair, he is probably a better wine and food connoisseur than I will ever be, because he will spend extra money on these things. I don't hold this against him, to each his own.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Well Richard, Scott thinks we are really 'crooks' by liking more perfect CAPS, and promoting their use. REL forever, I say! I guess you got rich this way, but I didn't. Darn.

Not me. I never got rich on caps. Peter Moncrief got rich by jacking up prices of stock polyprops. he preceeded REL who is a legit cap maker. I got a small royalty on any made and sold by REL that used my patent. After patent expired.... he stopped paying me but still makes them.

BTW -- REL cap owner retired. he has PHD in material science, also. Basilio Lim. Bas sold last year to Wilson Audio. I designed Wilson's electronic cross-over/EQ box for his big system which they still use and the caps are critical to getting the best sound. Wilson listened to many cap brands and type and wouldnt use anything else than REL made caps.. Employees at Wilson called me a few months ago to ask if they could use any and all the documentation I wrote re high performance caps. I said yes, freee to copy and use -- no payment to me.,

Just some 'facts'.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Seems that some do not understand the difference between linear and nonlinear and also do not understand that amplitude or impedance response is measured as a small signal plot. Better not waste the time anymore. Pity it is not possible to have a separate talk with some of the guys here. Anyway, I am happy to had an opportunity to meet the people like Scott Wurcer here. Who would have guessed it in the eighties, when I knew the name from literature only. Thanks for this opportunity.

That’s a very dramatic position to adopt don’t you think?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard's point was that, even if we don't know why something works, if a critical mass of people all experience the same, then we can be pretty sure it is worth investigating to get at the why.

George just ignored this point & objected to something else about a return to mediavalism or some-such.

Maybe you didn't follow any of this?
Yes. You got it. :)

:) :cool:

I have nothing against science, tests and measurements and CAD et al.... All good stuff. Just dont be so narrow minded when people say they perceive this or that and especially when many do so.

let me remind some here that WE science minded peoples studied the rings of Saturn for decades and knew what the rings were made out of, and the cloud thus covering the planet and what the core must be like. All based on science. But when it came time to go there and measure the atmosphere... almost all of what they were sure about was found to be wrong.

Just sayin' Keep an open mind.

-Richard

Last edited:
Yes. You got it. :)

:) :cool:
You are out JCing JC, this is hilarious :D It's almost as if you thought I didn't understand what you were saying too, you are joking? That isn't the point George was making, I'm sure you understood that even if Merrill appeared not to, or is it all part of the sowing seeds of confusion ploy? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.