John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
-90dB or so would be a stretch from Bruno's measurements unless one was routing the output current through one. For some applications only the break action has interest (charged line pulse generators) because it is bounce free. When open there is no current so no distortion.

Of course the amplifier output current was routed through the relais in this case.
I thought the introduction using "magnetic issues of relais" would have made clear that it was now about a general case not about the specific usage of reed relais; I'll try to be more precise next time.... :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You know it's thousands for a fact, you compiled statistics? Well I say thousands have not detected differences and it is also not true. Norman coordinate.
Maybe opioids would be better for them/you?

:)
-RNM

You know it's thousands for a fact, you compiled statistics? Well I say thousands have not detected differences and it is also not true. Norman coordinate.
Nice debating position.

Just that i do have such facts, numbers from manufacturing sales for years and distributor sales and direct customer sale base.

No contest. you lost this argument many years ago. perceptions are real when descriptions are consistent and same over time and peoples.

not saying a dose of aspirin works for everyone though. There are always exception to be found.

THx-RNMarsh

PS -- Thx Mark for taking the M2 for awhile. enjoy.

OT

It is of course not possible for ethical reasons in a lot of trials, but there are others where it would be much better not only to have a treatment group and a placebo control group but a third arm with no treatment at all.

The more modern understanding btw is, that we need a combination of RCTs and long term observational studies to know better what really works under usual conditions.

Placebos do work when taking them evokes a physiological reaction; usually it is not about just an imagination effect.

I think distortion - in many amplifiers- also varies considerably over speaker impedance because of the current drive requirements. At or near resonance, little current is drawn from the amp output, but at the low Z point(s) at typically a few hundred Hz, some speakers will drop to 3 Ohms and demand much more current from the amp.

Good amplifiers will show little difference in distortion over wide speaker loads (3 Ohms and up).

I would expect cross overs to use air cores - no saturation. Or are you referring to the speaker coil itself? But if it’s going heavily non- linear, surely that’s an ‘overdrive’ issue rather than an amp issue?

I used ferrite core non-linear coil intentionally, for its resemblance to speaker non- linearity on electrical side. I had hoped this was absolutely clear. Still being surprised, here. At least Scott has got it, thank you, SW.

If most people say this white powder called aspirin makes their headache go away, it is true then. No other "tests" need to be done to know if it makes headaches go away. Does not matter if you know why it does so or not. Does not matter that you cant show a test measurement data to "prove" it does what people describe. Nor matter if you have a test which shows no change occurred in the person. The people's experience and perception of the aspirin effect is true and real.

THx-RNMarsh
Thank you for coming out in support for blind testing under strict conditions as is habitual in the medical industry.

Maybe opioids would be better for them/you?

Such an inappropriate response, in fact I have never even filled a prescription when I was given one, even did a root canal without any pain mediation because normal stuff does not work on me.

At least Scott has got it, thank you, SW.

jn does too, I hope he is OK life has not dealt him the best hand.

^ I think it was just one of his poor examples, and dare I say it, to cause confusion? I wouldn't take it seriously.

You seem to forget that a lot of drugs came from 'cures' that worked for many, many people over many. many years & this was enough evidence to search for the active ingredient i.e acetylsalicylic acid from willow bark

The point being that the 'wisdom of crowds' showed allowed the discovery of aspirin, the active ingredient in willow bark.

Much like many other drugs also many were discovered as a result of mistakes or developed for one use but found to be more effective in a totally unrelated area

Joined 2016
Paid Member
It’s night and day obvious I am :p

Well, that says it all, really...

I don't think it would be prohibitive if you and others wanted to make donations towards it. It would certainly be prohibitive for me fund it single handedly. Maybe a wealthy audiophile would have interest it funding it. For starters, I think we would need to develop new double blind software, probably just A/B rather than ABX and with some other features, including the ability to operate hardware switching mechanisms (not just file playback).

Earl Geddes seemed to think a preliminary study might cost a few or several tens of thousands of dollars, but that would not be the end of it. One study would not be considered sufficient evidence by many people without any independent replication. In addition, a preliminary study might not tell us everything we think would be important to know.

First, a protocol would have to be agreed. And we know were that goes - the usual suspects would dispute the results whatever protocol was pre-agreed....

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I used ferrite core non-linear coil intentionally, for its resemblance to speaker non- linearity on electrical side. I had hoped this was absolutely clear. Still being surprised, here. At least Scott has got it, thank you, SW.

As I intimated, if any coil is going into saturation, I would expect that to be an overdrive situation.

The plot on the RHS in your original post looks like a classic speaker impedance plot with typical LF port resonance and then increasing impedance at HF. The speaker coil/motor non-linearity thing does not spring out from what you showed.

Nice debating position.

Just that i do have such facts, numbers from manufacturing sales for years and distributor sales and direct customer sale base.

Really, the sales figures of even one conventional film capacitor manufacturer would bury the entire boutique capacitor "industry" as a marginal footnote.

When I questioned you and JC years ago you ignored me. I pointed out the DA think is interesting but for the exception of a few notable pathologically bad capacitor technologies, the problem was almost unmeasurable frequency response issues and virtually unmeasurable distortion so why not just inform folks of ordinary cost effective solutions, but there was something to sell with huge margins.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Such an inappropriate response, in fact I have never even filled a prescription when I was given one, even did a root canal without any pain mediation because normal stuff does not work on me.
Hahaha. So literal interpretation .... but thats a true EE .... zoom...

THx- RNMarsh

Really, the sales figures of even one conventional film capacitor manufacturer would bury the entire boutique capacitor "industry" as a marginal footnote.

When I questioned you and JC years ago you ignored me. I pointed out the DA think is interesting but for the exception of a few notable pathologically bad capacitor technologies, the problem was almost unmeasurable frequency response issues and virtually unmeasurable distortion so why not just inform folks of ordinary cost effective solutions, but there was something to sell with huge margins.
geez so much mis-information, assumptons etal. do you just make this stuff up for debating points?

I did. i said polyprop was better than electrolytics and most practical film type.

Fine.

-RNM

Not all tests are equal and appropriate to the problem and esp thd tests. DA test are better and have high correlation to hearing.

csm_comparision_b15f126c4c.jpg

As I intimated, if any coil is going into saturation, I would expect that to be an overdrive situation.

The plot on the RHS in your original post looks like a classic speaker impedance plot with typical LF port resonance and then increasing impedance at HF. The speaker coil/motor non-linearity thing does not spring out from what you showed.
:) :cool:

-RNM

But the "magnetic issues" of relais illustrates why the (plausible looking) conclusion from one case to another can be quite misleading.

LOUD SHOUTING FUD

After some time I used the new relais for the same amplifier model as the original ones before, but the THD+N number measured went up from the former ~0.001% to ~0.0035% (8Ohms, 1 kHz, 23W, BW 80 KHz).
Checking a lot of things showed that everything was working as intended, but at the end I found out that the new relais was changed in an internal detail, a short piece of wire inside wasn't made from a diamagnetic material anymore but was ferromagnetic one instead.

Anectodal story, you need to come up with details (relay manufacturer, model) and comparative and reproducible measurement setrup and resuts to be taken seriously. It is impossible to explain that level of distortion (-90dB) by "a short piece of wire inside wasn't made from a diamagnetic material anymore", even for a relay routing a power amplifier output current. If the numbers are real, I'd rather believe the new manufacturer ****** with the contacts (material, spring tension, etc...).

Not to mention the discussion was about reed relays magnetic distortions, nowhere close to be used at high currents.

You seem to forget that a lot of drugs came from 'cures' that worked for many, many people over many. many years & this was enough evidence to search for the active ingredient i.e acetylsalicylic acid from willow bark

The point being that the 'wisdom of crowds' showed allowed the discovery of aspirin, the active ingredient in willow bark.

Much like many other drugs also many were discovered as a result of mistakes or developed for one use but found to be more effective in a totally unrelated area
You seem to miss the point of George's objection

Seems that some do not understand the difference between linear and nonlinear and also do not understand that amplitude or impedance response is measured as a small signal plot. Better not waste the time anymore. Pity it is not possible to have a separate talk with some of the guys here. Anyway, I am happy to had an opportunity to meet the people like Scott Wurcer here. Who would have guessed it in the eighties, when I knew the name from literature only. Thanks for this opportunity.

You seem to miss the point of George's objection
Richard's point was that, even if we don't know why something works, if a critical mass of people all experience the same, then we can be pretty sure it is worth investigating to get at the why.

George just ignored this point & objected to something else about a return to mediavalism or some-such.

My point is also that this type of advancement in science isn't confined to the past - it happens today, too - observation happens first & then attempts to explain

Maybe you didn't follow any of this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.