John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Bonsai,

sorry, while talking about the meaning of thresholds in general, i totally forgot to address the specific graph, which wasn´t the result from the adaptive experiments but from the method of constant stimulus.
The authors tried to find out which parameters of presentation give the best results.

On this said experiment they used the constant stimulus procedure for the mentioned ITDs. 9 trained listeners each got 100 presentations for each ITD.
(different number of ITDs tested for the two stimuli, though).
So on each data point they had 900 responses from the listeners.

@ scott wurcer,

But the graph was from in ear speakers, are any of the studies free field listening?

I´ve mentioned a couple of posts before the work from Choisel/Martin:

Choisel, Sylvain and Martin, Geoff. Audibility of Phase Response Differences in a Stereo Playback System. Part 2: Narrow-Band Stimuli in Headphones and Loudspeakers. AES Convention 125 (October 2008), 7559.

@ Evenharmonics,

<snip>

Should be examined? It's been done already. "head in a vice" is a term referring to subjective listeners who do not understand the audible difference stemming from head position change when swapping components. A subjectivist listens to component A for a while, then gets up and walks up the component shelf and changes to component B, then comes back to the seat and listens again, not realizing that his head position isn't in the same spot but does realize that he is hearing something different. Then goes around claiming that he heard a difference and calling those who disagree with him "close minded".

Which is without doubt an interesting tale; please cite some relevant good experimental results from the literautre where the "head in the vice" feature was examined as the independent variable.

head position discrepancy can be alleviated by quick switching between components using A/B switcher. However, those subjectivists see that as not enough time given for listening and start harping on the need for "long term listening". <snip>

Which makes a nice tale and hypothesises too; if you can cite some relevant (good) experimental results addressing these two questions, i´m all ears. (no pun intended)

Last edited:
If whacking the top has fixed it you have 'fixed' a dud joint or oxidised connector.
The other thing to do is turn it off and wind the volume control back and forth fifty times to restore the pot contacts after long nil usage, same cycling for signal switches.

i dont think thats what fixed it as it was a gradual (over 20 minutes or so) come back......just a funny reaction i had, like a dying child or something!
:D

I’m gonna respectfully disagree that minor repositioning will negate subjective testing ( I’m talking a few inches) for one your efforts should result in a wide enough sweet spot to allow for a few inches!
Another is I use a wheeled desk chair and can basically self center myself in the sound stage on every repositioning.

Besides I don’t even have to be in the sweet spot to hear most changes.
You are free to disagree as much as you want. Given that most audiophiles don't work on their room acoustics, listening position change is much bigger audible issue, even at 1 inch shift. Have you measured your listening room acoustic response?

You are free to disagree as much as you want. Given that most audiophiles don't work on their room acoustics, listening position change is much bigger audible issue, even at 1 inch shift. Have you measured your listening room acoustic response?

yes....in fact i tune to it at LP, speaker crossovers included.

calibrated mic...not ears! lol

use the ears to hear and mic to see what i like.....i know i like a rolled off top

Last edited:
Good plot, and it shows that human 2us ITD hearing capability is still low. So, the concerns about sub-microsecond interchannel differences to be audible, that had attracted audience for several days, seem to be a fairy tale at least. However, makes a person important - for a moment.
Man, your just like a bald eagle holding too large a salmon, you just can't give it up.

Nobody has ever mentioned sub microsecond ITD audibility. EVER. So stop making things up.
As to trying to be important, what do you think you are trying to do right now?

Pay attention, please learn and understand what is being said. You are never going to speak coherently on this topic otherwise.

jn

A hearing threshold is usually defined at the 50% correct response level and an adaptive procedure is used, starting at higher levels of the independent variable and lowering it in dependence of the correctness of the response (up-and-down procedures), so the 50% p(c) level is likely marking the threshold where the responses are randomly given.

This figure showed the responses of the trained listeners and if they were guessing at the lower ITD´s one would expect to have some distribution of corrects responses around the 50% level.
If, as in this case, all listener´s responses were above that level, it is quite unlikely that they were just guessing.
Iow, under the assumption that the hypothesis of random guessing at 2,x us ITD is true, the occurence of the observed data is quite incompatible to the random guessing hypothesis.
Agreed. At 2 uSec, 60 % accuracy is certainly not entirely guessing.

And it is not dithered.

So, headphones may make the thresholds lower, we know dithering does. So the data, while hinting at 2uSec, doesn't truly mean in the wild 2uSec with or without dither.

jn

@ Evenharmonics,

Which is without doubt an interesting tale; please cite some relevant good experimental results from the literautre where the "head in the vice" feature was examined as the independent variable.

Which makes a nice tale and hypothesises too; if you can cite some relevant (good) experimental results addressing these two questions, i´m all ears. (no pun intended)
Those are no tales. They are all over audio forums, including this very thread.

Once you cite the proof I asked way back about that debilitating stress causing listeners to not hear difference in level matched DBT but did hear it when the stress is removed in level matched DBT.

But the graph was from in ear speakers, are any of the studies free field listening?

I would like to see a three speaker set, where the center speaker provides a spacial reference. I've not seen anything on that.

I looked up the source the study used. I see it can do 192k sample rate. But I can't find any specification on it's interchannel delay capability. I guess any software they used would have to delay via the digital samples? I wonder if they verified that what they requesting of the unit actually happened as they expected?

jn

I would like to see a three speaker set, where the center speaker provides a spacial reference. I've not seen anything on that.

I looked up the source the study used. I see it can do 192k sample rate. But I can't find any specification on it's interchannel delay capability. I guess any software they used would have to delay via the digital samples? I wonder if they verified that what they requesting of the unit actually happened as they expected?

jn

Klipsch did it for a while in fact the Cornwall originally was a center speaker for the klipschorns.

Looks like the MRI scanner is off the menu. Knowing that it is not going to work means progress (somewhat) in the right direction.

OK, let's try the objective > subjective > objective route.

First - make as many cables as possible:- different lengths, different types of conductive metals/materials, different wire gauges, number of strands, number of wires, twist or plait, different sleeve materials, different thicknesses of sleeve materials.

Second - listen and find an observable (and hopefully) musical difference.

Third - if a subjective difference is found ....... measure it.

Standard experimental methodology.

ToS

Attachments

• 257241E3-83AE-4A0A-B0A7-51E857879D51.jpg
    257241E3-83AE-4A0A-B0A7-51E857879D51.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 159
Klipsch did it for a while in fact the Cornwall originally was a center speaker for the klipschorns.

Ah, sorry. I meant using a speaker in the middle as a location reference as part of an ITD localization test. I would find it difficult to determine if an image shifted in the wild without a known reference. I would want simultaneous stimuli, maybe a drum center speaker, then shifting ITD on a female vocal that had no ILD, then do both.
Jn

Ah, sorry. I meant using a speaker in the middle as a location reference as part of an ITD localization test. I would find it difficult to determine if an image shifted in the wild without a known reference. I would want simultaneous stimuli, maybe a drum center speaker, then shifting ITD on a female vocal that had no ILD, then do both.
Jn

I wonder how klipsch did do it ....summed mono?

I think using a stereo image to simulate a point source is well....the point isn’t it?
Referencing that to something in the wild is slightly redundant as it only exists in a artificial environment......basically what I’m getting at is nothing in the wild is in stereo?

Edit....forgive any ignorance on my part!

Last edited:
What I mean to say is that our brain invents multiple mono point sources in the space between the speakers, as if they were in the wild

Oh, yah......that’s what I meant by that’s the point!

You know what’s really cool is a flat screen between the speakers....the phantom center affect is crazy! It takes a little jockeying to get it right though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.